PDA

View Full Version : Should I charge extra for roommate's horses?

BlueJae
05-08-2012, 03:52 AM
I have a very nice roommate that moved in 3 months ago and she had 3 horses which I didn't charge extra rent for. Since then she has gotten 2 more and bred her mare plus is using pasture that would otherwise be used by my sheep and cows.
My friends keep telling me I should be charging extra for her horses. My question is what should I charge? Flat rate or an amount per horse?

Plowpoint
05-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Only you can decide if your roommate is using you for free pasture, or are you mutually enjoying your friendship and the horses? If it is the later then is the issue so big it is worth risking your friendship over?

Spoken as a commercial sheep farmer; sheep and cows come first because they are livestock and put food on the table of the nation and my own table, where as horses are pets.

leera
05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Check around and see how much others are charging for board....is she just using pasture space or is she also using barn space?

Did you have her sign a rental agreement when she moved in?What was your agreement on the horses when she moved in?Did she consult with you before getting the two additional animals,and breeding for another?

Around where I live(Mid-Michigan),pasture board is $125.00-$150.00 a month per horse....Barn and pasture turn out can run well over $200.00 per horse...... hence why I do not currently own any horses.

I would have a serious sit down with your room mate and iron things out...from what little you have said here,it sounds like you're being taken advantage of.

BlueJae
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
The rental agreement includes 3 horses but does not mention adding to that. She did ask me about the stud colt but then bought the filly from an online auction and told me about it after she had won it.
I do not have a barn, only a lean to shelter for the horses. I have other shelter for the sheep.
She responded to an advertisement for room for rent is how we met and we have become friends but from my perspective, it's a business relationship first.
I wouldn't feel right charging her $150/month per horse. Another friend suggested $50/month per horse.
Leera, I'm in SW Michigan and boarding fees are about the same as where you are.
I also would need to come up with a tactful way of telling her I'm charging for her horses. I have a habit of blurting out what I want to say in an inappropriate tone.

grumble
05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
"...we have become friends but from my perspective, it's a business relationship first."

Um, I think you just answered your own question? Your boarder (note, I didn't say "friend") won't find a better deal. If she says she can't afford it, then she can sell her horses or move out.

SlobberToofTigger
05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
It is unlikely you will manage to have this conversation in a manner where someones feelings will not get hurt so you might as well get to it. With that said I would initiate a monthly meeting between the two of you where both of you review how things are going with the rental agreement. Set this meeting for a week into the future of whenever you tell her you would like to start having them. I would say that your first item would be discussion of the extra horses and how they were not included in the original agreement. This will give her the chance to bring any items to the table you have not considered and then you can either come to an amenable agreement or she can decide to find other lodging for her horses or herself.

offtheradar
05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Don't horse around with this deal. Saddle up your renter with any additional cost and ride that deal to the end.

bookwormom
05-28-2012, 01:29 AM
None of my business, but I am curious how this worked out.

BlueJae
05-30-2012, 03:25 AM
We discussed the current arrangement and I suggested the going rate of pasture board and what I thought would be a fair amount per month to which she suggested her idea of a fair amount. I said I had to think about her offer and decided less than my ideal amount was better than a kick in the butt.
I didn't want to make her so uncomfortable with what I was charging her per month to find other arrangements because she does pay her rent on time.
No matter who I rent to I'll have something to complain about so I might as well have someone to complain about that has some of the same interests as me.