PDA

View Full Version : Well/Cistern Location

HippieChick
08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
We have a pump that is in the cellar, but have no idea where the water source is located on the property. If it rains heavily, water trickles out of a part on this pump. The house is hooked to city water right now, and it would be awesome to get off of that nasty stuff!

How would I go about finding the water source that this is connected to without tearing up the whole property?

BlueJae
08-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Call a well drilling company, they'd have a way to find it I would think.
Sorry if I'm not much help.

oldtimer
08-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Find someone that can douse for it. A person who can douse can locate both buried electric and water lines. You no doubt can tell from in your basement which direction the pipe is running out of your house. Have them start just outside the foundation at that point and by dousing they will be led to where the cistern is located.

Txanne
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I am surprised the cistern isnt marked---water was/is such animportant mainstay of our ecisitance.

Mine was---is there partially covered pile of rocks/r=bricks?

Txanne

Mad_Professor
08-11-2012, 04:51 PM
follow the pipe from your house with a metal detector

TickFarmer
08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Most of the larger plumbing outfits will run a camera through a pipe to check for collapsed/broken areas. The probe also has a broadcaster built into it so they can walk around on the ground and mark areas for you to dig that show up during their scan. I expect they would charge a couple hundred to do that, but you might disconnect the pipe and run a snake down it to get an idea of where it's headed off to?