PDA

View Full Version : Brown film on water bottle cap


Donny
10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I needed to use water from an aquatainer about 5 months after filling it with well water. I do not have filter on my well system. Most people in the area don't use or need filters. My well is about 275 feet deep. Water was kept in a closet. When I remove cap from my aquatainer it had a thin layer of brown slick stuff on cap. Water did not smell. Tasted fine. We drank it with no issues. What caused this brown film? What can I do to prevent it in the future? Thx.

offtheradar
10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like some kind of contamination, either from the tank or the well. Take some water from the well and let it sit in a clear glass container to see if it develops a "brown layer". If it doesn't it must be the container you use. I would not drink any water that has this type of contamination. It has been my experience that most of what floats is oil based. Some simple test: Collect some of the brown scum and put it a small dish to let the water evaporate. After some time dip a rag in the scum and try to light it. If it burns black smoke then you know it is oil based. If it does not burn then it could be some sort of non organic pollutant that is lighter than water. Either way you need to filter it out. My preferred way is first micron filter and then distill. The problem is that once water is polluted the pollution will make another solution (as opposed to a mixture). A classic example of this is when chlorine is used for disinfection in hard water it is a mixture but makes Trihalomethanes which are very difficult to remove since it is now a solution. Your brown scum could be doing the same thing.

Catalpa
10-07-2012, 01:07 AM
There's a chance it could be a film from iron bacteria. If your well water is high in iron you could have some of the iron loving bacteria living there; they don't usually get to high enough numbers to cause health problems but they have a slime coat which can leave a residue in areas where the water sets, and there is air present, like inside your toilet tank.

randallhilton
10-07-2012, 03:32 AM
There's a chance it could be a film from iron bacteria. If your well water is high in iron you could have some of the iron loving bacteria living there; they don't usually get to high enough numbers to cause health problems but they have a slime coat which can leave a residue in areas where the water sets, and there is air present, like inside your toilet tank.

I'm inclined to go with the bio-film described above. You might be amazed at how much bio-film is present in city water supply pipes, even after chlorination.

Most bacteria is benign, even helpful. By some estimates, bacteria make up as much as 3% of our body weight. For some of us, that's a several pounds!

Bottom line, you didn't get sick from it and probably won't.

BTW: I was raised on "stinky" water from a well so even the smell won't tell you if its dangerous.

BasilBob
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Manganese deposits usually appear brown or black. It's in every well that has iron in it and will deposit on the sides of containers if they are allowed to sit. Will stain your laundry but won't hurt you. If you need to fill and store again, add some baking soda to it. If it is manganese, you'll notice a black sediment on the bottom when you pull the jug out instead of the brown coating. That is manganese dioxide, also nontoxic, but you'll probably still be wanting to filter it out.