PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Nuts???

mo4pintn
11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
My neighbor hickory nuts all over the ground. I wondered if they were good for anything and if so, how to prepare and use them.

Any advice????

Txanne
11-01-2012, 11:19 PM
My neighbor hickory nuts all over the ground. I wondered if they were good for anything and if so, how to prepare and use them.

Any advice????

Mo4---some say roasting for eatting.
Hogs deer and squirrels love'em.

I have often wondered as many as I have if roasted they could be ground up for (coffee) bread filler when baking/maybe someone knows---I have tons of em---and someday they'll be baby oaks if they dont get eatten first.

Interesting question.

Txanne

bookwormom
11-02-2012, 12:23 AM
seems like we have milions of them, they are good but you can starve to death eating them. they are a tad small and hard to pick. Unless there is a very simple and efficient way to crack Hickories and get the meats out, I am leaving them alone.

brushhippie
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I roasted some the other day on the woodstove and what little meat was in there shrunk up to nothin, alot of work for not much.....like crawdads or bluecrabs yea you can eat em but you burn more calories cookin crackin and removing the meat than its worth. Try walnuts, at least you get a LITTLE more!

Txanne
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I roasted some the other day on the woodstove and what little meat was in there shrunk up to nothin, alot of work for not much.....like crawdads or bluecrabs yea you can eat em but you burn more calories cookin crackin and removing the meat than its worth. Try walnuts, at least you get a LITTLE more!

I understand LOL

Are maybe crawfish---since you have to peel about 3 lbs to even know you've been eatting them LOL
Txanne

Ellendra
11-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Crack a few first to see how hard they are. Some have thin shells and papery inner membranes, so it's easy to get the nutmeats out in halves or whole. Others are solid, with solid inner membranes such that they seem to mock you when you try to get at the meat. My grandfather calls those "mockernuts".

Most will be somewhere in between.

If you are able to get to the meat, they are a sweet, tasty nut. Like a miniature walnut. Use the same way you would other nuts.

A friend on another forum once found a use for mockernuts. He got frustrated and tossed one in the fire, and found it burned very brightly, with an almost pure white light. I wouldn't suggest burning whole ones because they might burst, but maybe crack the outer shell so steam can escape, and see how they do as a light source.

You can also use the nuts and/or shells to smoke meats with.

billygoatgruff
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
hickory nuts with husks are the perfect size for little hands to learn how to throw fastballs - assuming there are some cousin's heads around to use as targets. It quickly becomes a game of dodgeball but hurts more and king of the mountain keeping everyone away from the hickory nut tree (ammo supply, ya know.)

They also make pretty good lures if one likes fried bushytailed rats (yeah, I do... :D )

Otherwise use them like walnuts or other nuts in baking and cooking.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/What-to-do-with-HICKORY-NUTS-m418823.aspx

And, yuppers, black walnuts in the husk were kinda like the professional league when it comes to pegging cousins. Didn't usually aim for heads with those fist sized projectiles. Of course, we all knew where the trees were and knew it was condition red going through there during nut season... lol

Ahhh, yes, them were the days.... being color coordinated meant having some black, blue, green, and yellow somewhere on one's skin and being proud of how it got there. Dang, it just hurts now that I've gotten older, and the brags have turned into whines... :(

John

mozarkian
11-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Any advice????

They are hard to crack and pick, but they make a good "pecan" pie.

sbemt456
11-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Hickory nuts have a unique taste, really good, not as rich as black walnuts but richer in taste than say english walnuts. Google recipes using hickory nuts and you should come up with several old recipes for cakes an such. No cake beats a good hickory nut cake with cream cheese icing. Also they can be substituted for other nuts in cooking.

Have a great day!

stella

tomato204
11-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Hickory nuts are pretty variable as to size and amount of meat. We always tried to find the tree with the best nuts, usually shagbark here. After the outer hull comes off, a hammer and a good rough rock for an anvil is good, keeps the nuts from flying away. After you get a crack started, a real pointy pair of side-cutting pliers will remove the shells pretty good. The pieces still want to fly away so I hold nut, pliers, and both hands down in a deep pan or bucket. Use in any recipe for pecans, their close relative.

mo4pintn
11-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I tried to crack them with my nutcracker that I use on my pecans and boy was it hard. My mother-in-law said they always used a hammer when she was a little girl. The outer shells have fallen off of most of them but the inner shell gives some when trying to crack with the nutcracker so it takes so much force just to get a small crack in the shell so you can pry it open. I will try the hammer next and see if that is easier.

If all goes well, I will look up the recipe for the hickory nut cake with cream cheese icing and make it. Then I will let you know how good it is or isn't. Well, off to crack some nuts.

Mike1206
11-04-2012, 10:03 AM
There are several different kinds of Hickory Nuts, if these are the smaller ones. They are good to eat. Instead of pecan pie, Use the hickory nuts. The shell is hard so you will have to use a hammer, try not to get any shells in the meat. LOL I'm always the one to get what ever isn't suppose to be in it, eggshells and nut shells especially. LOL