PDA

View Full Version : Scope lens covers - DIY

OzarkMtnDaredevil
12-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Has anyone ever put together a satisfactory (home-made) set of covers for a rifle scope? If so, what are your ideas?
I have an old Bushnell (1972?) 1.5 x 4.5 Scopechief, that is as clear as the day it was made, mounted on an '06.
It's usually kept in a case but, I just like to keep my glass clean.
This scope only measures 9.25" in length so I find that most covers with bands that fit tight don't do the same at the cap (or vise-versa) as they seem to be more fitting to airguns or rimfires with smaller lenses at each end.
I've played with cut-down pill bottles, propane bottle caps, rubber bands and other dangerous things to no avail. I've got to be going thru male menapause or something. I just can't put my finger on what I need.
This is an old, sentimental arm that I want to do justice to and I don't care for the "elastic rope tied like a shoelace" look.

Any suggestions?

DM
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Has anyone ever put together a satisfactory (home-made) set of covers for a rifle scope? If so, what are your ideas?
I have an old Bushnell (1972?) 1.5 x 4.5 Scopechief, that is as clear as the day it was made, mounted on an '06.
It's usually kept in a case but, I just like to keep my glass clean.
This scope only measures 9.25" in length so I find that most covers with bands that fit tight don't do the same at the cap (or vise-versa) as they seem to be more fitting to airguns or rimfires with smaller lenses at each end.
I've played with cut-down pill bottles, propane bottle caps, rubber bands and other dangerous things to no avail. I've got to be going thru male menapause or something. I just can't put my finger on what I need.
This is an old, sentimental arm that I want to do justice to and I don't care for the "elastic rope tied like a shoelace" look.

Any suggestions? * *

The best, most usefull ones i've ever found, are the ones i cut from a cross section of an old car innertube... They may not look as good as those store bought ones, but they work better and are nearly FREE.

DM

OzarkMtnDaredevil
12-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Thx, DM! You the Man! I knew it was out there and I was just missing it. I have a lot of heavy black rubber laying around (soft jaws for wood vise). That is a great idea! Off to the shop...