PDA

View Full Version : Billionaires Dumping stocks

offtheradar
02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Read this: http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=110D8-1&utm_source=taboola

I think these people know something is going to happen soon!

papitohead
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings

str8sh00ter
02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Read this: http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=110D8-1&utm_source=taboola

Use extreme caution when reading these "news" stories. It is an advertisement really, not a news story. I almost laughed at the "shocking" news that George Soros sold a million shares of banking stocks. The man is worth billions upon billions of dollars. If the average share price was $30 then he sold about $30 million bucks worth of stock. Not exactly a huge swing due to a market fundamental event. He was probably taking profits and reallocting to keep his portfolio balanced.

These kind of shock news stories are the same as the "sneaky little trick to save hundreds on car insurance" ads. They are used to generate traffic to a site that either collects your data to sell or tries to sell you something. In this case it is a subscription to an investing newsletter.

chrisser
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm not saying the story is bogus but it's also not unheard of to try to engineer a fake panic and manipulate the market.

Someone has a lump of cash they want to invest, so they start a rumor that the market's about to crash.

If it gets accepted, enough people preemptively sell that the market then dips. Other's see it happening and they sell too - market dips even more. Then the rumor-starter makes a big buy. The market recovers (either because of or in spite of that investor). After that, the rumor starter sells off slowly and makes a tidy profit - may even be able to ride a bit of a wave past the recovery if people think the market is now climbing and try to jump on.

With everybody sort of pre-primed believing a crash is imminent (and I'm definitely not saying it isn't), it would be easy to start rumors purely for profit.

whitehairedidiot
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Not even Soros can "time" the market... even if he does have the money to make big plays. Will it cause a swoon? Could be - but it will be shallow and short lived. The real market movers are still the Fed (printing money) and institutional investors: the big pension funds, investment banks, etc. Dollar's going up and the yen is dropping; today it looked like the dollar was stronger than the pound & Euro, too. That's one thing I'm starting to watch... signs that a currency war is heating up.

Wouldn't you just love to know how many gold bars Soros has? and in what country? :rolleyes:

offtheradar
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
OK all you doubters..............read this: http://www.france24.com/en/20130207-asian-astrologers-warn-stormy-year-snake

Wake up everyone!!!! It's the year of the SNAKE!!!

whitehairedidiot
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Radar...

It was that last sentence, we need to pay attention to -- when the snake sheds it's skin, there will be transformation (sound familiar?) and change.

ScrubbieLady
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
So Chinese fortune tellers say that it is the year of the SNAKE and that good things and bad things happen during the year of the snake and they go from there. Good and bad things happen every year. I would be more impressed if they were knowledgeable in their subjects. For instance, why would we listen to a feng shui master that has advice for Obama to "be less conservative" to help our economy.

I am not much into fortune tellers.

Tim Horton
03-01-2013, 03:39 PM
It has been eluded to that there will be another "self correction" in the stock market soon...... Upwards to 70% or more. What ever that means. I can only presume 70 cents of each dollar in the market is "available" one way or another ??

From what I have seen in the last several corrections that have happened it just means there will be a harvest of money from small investors.......

Or that is how it seemed to me.....

Good luck

Selena
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
They're dumping gold also.

ArmySGT.
03-02-2013, 02:50 AM
They're dumping gold also.

Really?

Gold Value. (http://www.monex.com/liveprices)

Selena
03-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Yep - http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/investing/soros-gold/index.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-01/gold-outlook-splits-traders-weighing-stimulus-gains-commodities.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-28/gold-heads-for-worst-monthly-run-since-1997-as-demand-slumps.html

Gold 1,572.30 -5.80 -0.37%

whitehairedidiot
03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Everything in the markets is likely to go up and down, a large chunk... a lot of times... this year. At least, that's what I'm planning on... sort of a roller coaster.

There are a lot "balls" up in the air - Europe, China, the Brics, and commodities (like gold & silver & hogs) - with political interference, the FED and international stuff, social issues (like high unemployment), etc. The possibility of a large correction - significant drop - exists. Whether it will happen or if the Dow will climb even higher to 16000 or so, before plummeting... who knows?

The only "wrong move" I think anyone could make this year, would be to take the position that if such and such happens, then you'll do this... and stake the whole enchilada on that one idea. All the sell-off by the big guys is... is taking some profits while they're there... and if there is a drop: they'll be buying back in again.

MissouriFree
03-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Lots of people know far more about the markets than me. But I suspect that as long as interest rates are near zero, investors will stay bullish on the market as there is no other place to invest. In addition I believe confidence in govt spending çuts are riding. Heck just a few years ago no one was talking about cuts, now it how much and where. The disgusting on " should we cut" is long over. That has spurred confidence and America is still the best investment in the world - to include our companies.

ArmySGT.
03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Yep - http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/15/investing/soros-gold/index.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-01/gold-outlook-splits-traders-weighing-stimulus-gains-commodities.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-28/gold-heads-for-worst-monthly-run-since-1997-as-demand-slumps.html

Gold 1,572.30 -5.80 -0.37%

NOPE.

Gold value One thousand five hundred seventy two dollars and thirty cents. Down five dollars and eighty cents or point three seven of one percent.

Only slightly more than one third of one percent is not an indicator of Billionaires "dumping stocks" not even if it took place over an extended period of time.

It is an indicator of Gold losing some value, not the arrival of the Workers Paradise as foretold by Marx and Engels.

MissouriFree
03-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Precious metals falling are due to strengthening of the dollar. Oops that's no possibly, since we are verge of collapse? Duh!

Selena
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
NOPE.

Gold value One thousand five hundred seventy two dollars and thirty cents. Down five dollars and eighty cents or point three seven of one percent.

Only slightly more than one third of one percent is not an indicator of Billionaires "dumping stocks" not even if it took place over an extended period of time.

It is an indicator of Gold losing some value, not the arrival of the Workers Paradise as foretold by Marx and Engels.

Down over $200 in the past 6 months. Articles referenced but two large investors and I'd venture to say other large investors have sold also. Even the pawn shops buy and immediately sell.

You're free to put every spare dollar that comes your way into gold or any other commodity, metal, stock, bond, derivative, hedge fund etc. Personally all eggs in one basket is not my investment plan. Gold coins for personal hobby but not for my long term financial plan.

ArmySGT.
03-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Down over $200 in the past 6 months. Articles referenced but two large investors and I'd venture to say other large investors have sold also. Even the pawn shops buy and immediately sell.

You're free to put every spare dollar that comes your way into gold or any other commodity, metal, stock, bond, derivative, hedge fund etc. Personally all eggs in one basket is not my investment plan. Gold coins for personal hobby but not for my long term financial plan.

As others have mentioned. The dollar is getting stronger as other currencies become weaker.

Dumping gold would have meant a rapid and significant drop in the value of gold due to the abundance on the market.

I don't have enough to put into gold right now, I do pick up pre-64 silver when I can. Easier to barter when "it all goes like Argentina".

Now isn't the time to invest in gold as an investment with speculation towards making a profit. Though people some will buy gold now as security against further inflation eroding the buying power of their wages.

Txanne
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Well today the stock market reached a high it hasnt seen in years---and I am amazed and wondered why?

MissouriFree
03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Because investors need done place to invest and this the only game in town with interest rates near zero and with gold down due to stable dollars.

BTW it was an all time record high. So much for a sell off.

Selena
03-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Oh just wait, the sell off will happen - I am guessing in about 3 weeks. That will be an adequate amount of time for enough average Joe investment dollars to flow into the market. Then the manipulators will take their profits and get back in when the prices drop.

Txanne
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Oh just wait, the sell off will happen - I am guessing in about 3 weeks. That will be an adequate amount of time for enough average Joe investment dollars to flow into the market. Then the manipulators will take their profits and get back in when the prices drop.

I have been reading a book--An autobio--of Joe Kennedy and it included big names like Hertz--who manipulated the stockmarket---I was astounded how easy it was---their greed brought on the rules for the stock exchanges.

I am of the thought that the greed of a few dangles our fiscal safety over a cliff,rules be hanged.

MissouriFree
03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

ahhhhhh.... when lack of evidence becomes evidence then there is a conspiracy isn't there ?

Selena
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
ahhhhhh.... when lack of evidence becomes evidence then there is a conspiracy isn't there ?

No conspiracy, just observation of the ups and downs of the market over time and looking at who is buying/selling large blocks of stocks. Hence the saying "buy low, sell high". And don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

ArmySGT.
03-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Billionaires are dumping stocks. Gold is no good.

or it it?

Billionaires are probably going to dump stocks, maybe in the next three weeks. Gold is no good.

Which one would you like to repeat?

MissouriFree
03-07-2013, 01:09 AM

So it has went from " something is going happen" ( in your original post )
To

just observation of the ups and downs of the market over time and looking at who is buying/selling large blocks of stocks

In other words normal free market ops.

Selena
03-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Talking to me or offtheradar? Free markets they aren't - when I or any other individual investor can trade "after hours", we might be closer to free markets. When profits are taxed equally, we might be closer to free markets. Or maybe I should just call myself a hedge fund manager.

MissouriFree
03-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Talking to me or offtheradar? Free markets they aren't - when I or any other individual investor can trade "after hours", we might be closer to free markets. When profits are taxed equally, we might be closer to free markets. Or maybe I should just call myself a hedge fund manager.

Or a OWS'er.

Selena
03-08-2013, 02:50 AM
LMFAO - word to the wise, you might want to stop consuming so much kool-aid, that stuff will kill you. Or it could be you are of the "some pigs are more equal than others" mindset.

MissouriFree
03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I am curious why you don't think you can't trade after hours? Or what these tax inequities are you speak of?

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/04/061004.asp#axzz2MwtRfsR8

whitehairedidiot
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Speaking of hedge fund managers...

when I was out researching what canaries to look out for just before a crash and/or a bout of hyperinflation... one of the noted things to watch out for, was hedge funds getting out of the market... en masse...

And of course, there was a corroborating WSJ article in yesterday's paper about hedge funds being bearish - despite the record highs.

I noticed that the sneaky yen, went up from 93 to 95 to a dollar, while I was looking at something else. There are still whispers and grumblings about bond vigilantes from time to time, too. Other things to watch for: are when the large institutional investor pull cash out (like the big retirement funds)...a bad Treasury auction - where they don't get buyers at the offered price... and the one we all talk about: how much fed reserve and national fiscal policy are interfering with the markets.

A common manipulation in the stock markets, which does affect the price are big holders of a commodity - gold or oil - selling off a big chunk, which makes other investors play "follow the leader"... the price comes down... and then those guys buy back in, at less than they sold for. All perfectly legal; that is how the game is played... if one hopes to make money at it. I think that's all this was. Gold's going back up now. I don't play in those stocks... if anything, I'd buy cotton... but I don't have any.

Doninalaska
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
We already have bond auctions that don't have buyers. That is why the Fed bought bonds--and, as far as I know, are still buying. I don't think anyone without inside info will be able to predict what is coming, and I wouldn't put too much faith n gold either. remember that Roosevelt with a wave of his Executive Order made trading in gold illegal, and it stayed that way for several decades. Cotton (or some other commodity) sounds like a good bet to me. Silver is also manageable, and, while more of a target for manipulation than even gold, it is less likely to be a target for government regulation.

MissouriFree
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
As much as I detest nearly everything FDR did, the gold move was pretty good. At the time gold was flying out of the country. Most Americans who had large amounts had shipped to European countries like switcher land. His move kept it in America and literally forced other countries to accept our dollars instead of only accepting gold bullion.