PDA

View Full Version : 2L bottles for water storage?

Dynamik1
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
I've heard that 2L bottles are good for long term water storage because the bottles are thicker due to the high pressure of the carbonated liquid.

If so, what's the best way to clean?

Follow me on Pinterest: http://bit.ly/YXn8wy (http://bit.ly/YXn8wy)

goldengate
02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I have just rinsed them out with water as hot as possible then swished hot soapy water a little then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed..... Put a tiny bit of dish soap in the bottle and add the water. Put on the cap and agitate the bottle. The hot water will build up pressure and clean the bottle just fine. The problem is trying to get all the soap out. Wow! I don't like using the 2 liters, though. they don't store real neatly. I decided a long time ago to just spend some money and get a real water storage barrel. In the long run, it saves lots of space. Good luck with whatever you do.

Tim Horton
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
My procedure has been this......

Rinse out bottle with hot water.
With about 3-4 drops of dish soap in a quart of hot water.
Rinse bottle with soapy water. You don't need much soap at all.
Rinse out again with plain hot water and set up side down to dry.

I use an old dish drainer to keep the bottle necks open and as vertical as possible.

Don't forget to wash and rinse the caps also.
Dry completely before use for anything.

Good luck

HuntingHawk
02-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Prefer the thicker juice bottles.

ScrubbieLady
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
I use both the 2L bottles and juice bottles (when I get them). Very small amount of dish soap (2-3 drops) and hot water. Shake up and then rinse very well. I like these for water that will be used for drinking or cooking or perhaps brushing the teeth since they can be carried around easily including to someone else to refill. We also have 5 gallon carriers for other water. Drums are great and hold a lot of water but very hard to move when full. Like to bring back water from somewhere that has water to somewhere that doesn't have water.

Tim Horton
03-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Yes...... 2L juice bottles and gallon juice bottles are great. For me 2L are better for storing elbow macaroni and rice.

In summer one of my favorite tricks is to fill a 2L soda bottle 1/2 full of sun tea and freeze. Then fill with refrigerated sun tea and take with me on the tractor.

Tie a length of cord around the neck and hang from the frame somewhere. Works good.

Enjoy

chrisser
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't remember where I heard this, but if you stick with the clear 2l bottles, you can put them in bright sunlight and it will supposedly do a good job of disinfecting the water if you have any concerns about it getting contaminated during storage.

Tim Horton
03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Yes..... There is a procedure to purify water in clear 2L bottles in sun light.

A google search should get you a wealth of info on that. However..... I think it is like home canning.... There is a procedure and you need to pay close attention to how it goes....

Good luck

billygoatgruff
03-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I normally use 1 gallon discarded distilled water jugs for emergency storage of water. Folks I know use distilled water for their CPAP machines so they are available.

I did 2L for a bit but there is just too much volume with this storage method for me as it takes 2 two liter bottles to equal a bit over a gallon.

Cleaning for me was a drop of dish soap, half full of hot water, and a lot of shaking. Rinse a few of times - by emptying the soapy water, filling half full of clean and shaking, repeat, etc. My last step after feeling that the rinsing was complete was a last half full bottle with a drop of plain bleach. More shaking and maybe a bit of sitting.

Empty that last out and fill with tap water and store.

2L bottles are rather large to use the UV from the sun to purify, IMO. But, I'm a chlorine type guy. And, if there are nutrients in the tap water then algae can grow out in the sun. The heat might KO the algae so don't know. I didn't really worry about purification or algae much due to my drop of bleach and the standards tap water has to meet.

Being curious, I always have wanted to put an empty 2L bottle in the freezer for a few days along with the cap, take them out, put the cap on tightly, paint it black, and set in the sun. The burst pressure of the 2L bottle I looked up long ago was about 150 psi and the quick and dirty numbers say that on one of those fantastic summer days that Oklahoma has (110 degrees in the shade,) the chances are that the neighbors would call the cops and the fire department due to "explosions." Think dry ice and bottles except dry ice goes way above 150 psi when it sublimates.

The quick and dirty calcs I did could be wrong. I decided it wasn't worth worrying the neighbors and didn't put too much effort in them. City life doesn't let me satisfy my curiosity as much (but the emergency room IS closer... :( ) lol

John

Tim Horton
03-02-2013, 04:04 AM
No...... No..... Dude.......

First you wrap about 4-5 layers of 3/4" wide masking tape around the middle of the bottle, all on top of one another......

Then you fill with a bunch of crumbled dry ice, about 1/2 cup water, cap and immediately throw hard.

You can also use about 2/3 of a MRE heater bar crumbled fine enough to get into the bottle.............

The tape and either recipe will give you a bigger bang than you expect.
Also either of these ideas CAN lead to you being nick named LEFTY.....

Keep safe

billygoatgruff
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Wyo,

Just out of curiosity and little more, uh, did you ever go fishing with carbide perhaps? :confused: ;) :D

Sounds like we were both teens back in the age when kids were expected to check things out themselves - and live through it. Didn't mean the grown-ups didn't have an eye on us, just meant that they would step in if it was life threatening but not if it was just gonna be painful. That was a good world in many ways.

Ahh, well. I'm OT so will just say thanks for the grin you gave my face while remembering the "good ole days." LOL

John

Builder Ken
03-05-2013, 02:38 PM
John
What part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm in the NE

Tim Horton
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Wyo,

Just out of curiosity and little more, uh, did you ever go fishing with carbide perhaps? :confused: ;) :D

Sounds like we were both teens back in the age when kids were expected to check things out themselves - and live through it. Didn't mean the grown-ups didn't have an eye on us, just meant that they would step in if it was life threatening but not if it was just gonna be painful. That was a good world in many ways.

Ahh, well. I'm OT so will just say thanks for the grin you gave my face while remembering the "good ole days." LOL

John
------------
No carbide...... But a lot of other stuff, that I decided wouldn't need to be tried the second time............ You must remember a few of those....

Now I know about that crooked grin my Dad had at times.......

billygoatgruff
03-06-2013, 03:42 AM
John
What part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm in the NE

Central Oklahoma right now.

John

jebrown
03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes 2L bottles are best for water storage.
Juice bottles are thicker but thicker does not relate to stronger.
Juicd bottles contain juice which is not under pressure.
2L Soda Pop bottles will contain pressurized gas.
We know what happens when you drop a Soda bottle and then open it. CO2 gas and Soda comes out under pressure. So Soda Pop bottles are stronger than juice bottles.
Yes putting clear plastic bottles in the sun will sterilize the water.Even though the temperaturs in Enid, Oklahoma the last two summers has hit 118 degress Farenheit. The heat is not enough. the Ultra Violet light from the Sun is also needed.
The bottle(s) must be in direct Sun light for a minimum of six hours sraight. If clouds block the Sunlight that time is not to be counted.

Jerry

Leanne
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Been filling 2L bottles three-quarters full and stashing them in the bottom of our chest freezer. I swear our chest freezer is big enough to hold an entire cow, but we haven't been able to afford a whole cow, so this at least keeps it running more efficiently.

Plus it's extra stored water in case of emergency ... and extra cold in the freezer in case of emergency ...