PDA

View Full Version : Reloading shot shells

clawhammerdan
01-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I've toyed for a while with the idea of getting into reloading shotshells. How many of you guys do this? Is it a hobby you stick with? Do you find it rewarding, aside from saving money? Tell me your opinions of reloading if you have any experience. I'd be interested in knowing. I currently shoot about 25 boxes of shells a year.

Kpdpipes
01-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I Load about 10-15 boxes per year, all BP for Cowboy Action shooting. While you CAn do it with the old Lee Loader, it's time consuming at best, any decent press will let you breeze through it. There's always tons of stuff for sale on Ebay, and other places so you can get a decent setup for not too much money. One thing I Definitly would buy for your press is the adjustable shot/powder bar, this way you dont have to mess around with bushings. Depending on what you shoot, it might not be all that much of a savings (i get factory "Estate" brand shells for a couple of bucks a box), but it IS kind of satisfying shooting shells you've made yourself.

DM
01-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I've been loading shot shells since the 70's and i have to say, these days, you have to shoot a lot of ammo to make it worth while. I see ammo so cheap these days, that i even buy it instead of loading my own!!!

If you want to do it, AT LEAST buy a Mec 600 jr. press, as they aren't all that expensive and turn out excelent ammo....

DM

Star1pup
02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I user MEC Sizemasters and they do a great job, but my friend has the Lee Easy Loader and it also works. I just like the way my Sizemasters resize the brass & pop the old primer in one operation. I have them in 12 gauge, 28 gauge & .410.

Stinger
03-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Take a long hard look at the Lee, 'Load All II' - Seriously!

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/loadall.html

This is an inexpensive machine that's perfect for what you want to do; and, it'll give you a chance to see if shotshell reloading is something you want to stay with.

One more word of advice: Buy Winchester AA hulls; and don't waste your time trying to reload anything else - OK!

cubcadet
06-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey Stinger,
I don`t know about that. As a matter of fact, I`have done some reloads with the old paper shells. They work great! I even used black powder behind a 69 caliber round ball for slug shooting. Just my input. Of course, I`m an intolerable gear-head. Always tweeking things.
By the way, I own a Lee Load All. Recommend it highly.

JeffColorado
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
In the past two weeks, I've reloaded 3,000+ shells as we shoot a lot- over 30,000 rounds last year. I just got a MEC 9000E which has been well worth the investment - at least for the amount I shoot. With the cost of shot coming down somewhat - and the cost of shells nearly doubling in the last 12 months - reloding saves me a ton of money. Someone I know spent a lot more money for a Spoler - I don't think he could have better production than the 400 to 500 per hour I get and if so, not enough to make it worth the more than double I paid for the MEC.
As for hulls - I only reload Nitro 27 or STS hulls, seems to be the best for relaoding any load out there.

alandanielyoung
02-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I understand that using damaged brass is bad. The brass can travel down the rilfed barrel damageing the rilfing. In a semi-auto the lose brass can damage the bolt.
In a shotgun, there is no rifleing and no metal. I do not see the barrel getting damaged from bad pastic brass ( is it called hulls? if so my bad ). My shotgun is a one shot bolt action, I do not see damage to it.

My question is: What bad stuff would happen if I reloaded damaged hulls?

Please fogive my dumb-ness.
Daniel
God-Bless

DM
02-28-2009, 02:25 AM
They ARE called "hulls", and your not going to hurt any modern shotgun if some of the hull goes down the bore...

Just make sure you are using the "exact" recipe for the hull your reloading! Yes, it DOES make a difference... Everything has to be matched to THAT brand/style hull...

DM

sethwyo
03-30-2009, 12:45 AM
the shotguns is so usfull for so many things that being able to reaload for it is a must.

i got a mold for a 7/8 oz slug and one for buckshot, i cast my own.
i use red dot and unique powder.

i got some brass shells that take large pistol or rifle primers and they never need resizing and wadding is made from cardboard.
plastic shells are free for the picking up at the public range, dont get sun rotted ones, pick up the fresh ones. knock the priners out with a properly sized punch.
i dont shoot a lot with shotguns, a hundred rounds a year or so, but reloading a hand full every evening keeps a large stock on hand.
home made buck shot and slugs are cheep and about the best short range SHTF ammo you can have.