PDA

View Full Version : water pumping windmill issues

wildwood13
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
We recently installed an aermotor 602. 2" pump and casing, 120' lift. We reduced the line where it tees out of the well to 1". It pumps fine for several hours in intermittent winds, then the rod between the windmill and the well binds and bends on the down thrust. We are at wits end. We have pulled the pump twice and made sure that none of the casing and rod unions line up as we thought maybe these were catching. Didn't help. All we can think of is there is a pressure issue. I also notice that in between winds, the pipe drains out and it will take about 5;minutes to reprime. All parts were installed new. I hope someone can help us out.

randallhilton
05-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Perhaps something that you didn't know about fell down the casing, causing interference with the foot valve and occasionally rattling around to interfere with the path of the piston, resulting in binding.

HuntingHawk
05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Sounds like the foot valve is stuck open. JMO.

wildwood13
05-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks for ideas. We are thinking it must be something with the pump or valve...high. That means pulling 120 ' of both rod and casing.

randallhilton
05-26-2013, 01:30 AM
You'll probably find that missing 9/16" open end wrench you misplaced. :fie:

Bones
05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Wish I could help more than to say look at all the experience you will get pulling all that pipe. I got the same working on my M1009 fuel pump.

oldtimer
05-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks for ideas. We are thinking it must be something with the pump or valve...high. That means pulling 120 ' of both rod and casing.
You mean pulling the rod and the pipe. You don't pull the casing, that stays in the ground.

Your check valve has a problem or your pipe should not drain out. Does the pump start pumping on its own or do you have to prime it?

I really don't know what would cause it to work for a while and then bind. You've got plenty of water? THe pump isn't pumping the well down so the pump is running dry and then it binds ?

Also, why is your pump restricted when it gets out of the well? Restrictions always make things work harder. You can go bigger but I'm not a believer in going smaller.

You pulling this yourself or do you have a well puller. If you have a well puller, then he or she ought to be pulling it for you for nothing since you haven't gotten satisfaction yet. Our well lady is very knowledgeable. She can generally tell you what's wrong before pulling the pump.

wildwood13
06-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the great info, sorry for the delay, comp went down with nasty virus right after posting! When it rains it pours! We have plenty of water so that is not an issues. Our electric pump in the same well pumps 25 ga a minute. As for reduction on windmill line, We went from 2' casing to 1 inch where it elbows out of the well. We watched the stream being pumped from the 2" and it was about 1\4 pipe so that's how we come up with reducing for ease of fittings. We installed and pulled ourselves with the help of a well drilling friend. But he is not familiar with windmills. My husband is extremely mechanical, building sawmills, shop equipment our solar system, etc so this should be a piece of cake. I really believe there is a foot valve problem, right now too many irons in the fire so we will pull and see what we can figure out as time allows. Thanks so much for input.

HuntingHawk
06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Put the foot valve section in a vice. Fill with water & check a few hours later. If most of the water is gone the foot valve is leaking which will cause you to loose prime. The foot valve itself is not expensive. Just make sure to get the same size or will cause additional problems.

Anatolian
03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
I would sure like to hear how you finally resolved this. My 12foot aermotor has about 120 feet to the static water level.. with another 60 feet of pipe under water to the cylinder. I had binding when I first set it up. I resolved my problems by A)using a wooden pump stick above ground (less flex) B) using rod guides mid way on each rod section down pipe and C) using a 3 foot threaded rod weight (from aermotor) just above the cylinder.
In your case I also would have gotten rid of the reduction to one inch, but thats to keep the leathers longer and pump water in less wind.
I have a deep well cylinder so the bottom check valve is a brass ball.. works better than the plunger foot with a two inch pipe and that much depth, but mine still settles over a week or more and has to refill the pipe.. though it self primes, as should yours.

12vman
03-31-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know a whole lot about these but..

If the rod is flexing on the down stroke, maybe the water isn't getting around or through the piston easily. Is there any kind of valve on the piston itself to allow water past/through it on the down stroke? Is there a check valve on the bottom of the casing? If that one leaks, you'll lose prime..

Just my mechanical mind grindin' again.. ;)

sperry
04-02-2014, 12:23 AM
It can't lose prime because the cylinder with leathers is under water at all times. My first guess would be the rod packing, where the rod goes through the top of the pump, may be too tight and heating up.

Bearfootfarm
04-02-2014, 03:30 AM
It can't lose prime because the cylinder with leathers is under water at all times.
I think that depends on a few variables

If the foot valve in the pipe is bad, and the pump rod stopped at the highest point, it's possible the water level could drop below the pump

If the static water level is higher than the pump moves, you'd be correct

My suspicion is the valve at the bottom of the pump is malfunctioning and not allowing enough water to pass through on the downstroke

That would create hydraulic pressure between the pump and foot valve

The packing should be in close enough contact with the water to prevent it overheating, unless something disrupted the flow

Aermoter uses graphite rope as packing, and I'd be surprised if you could make it bind due to overheating

Plus she already said it loses prime

This shows the ball valves they use and I suspect they are at the root of the problem

http://aermotorwindmill.com/how-a-windmill-works/9-company-related/51-how-a-windmill-works2.html