PDA

View Full Version : Portable Reloading Kits ?

Wyobuckaroo
12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Howdy

On the Rifle/Shotgun board, in one of the posts Tufhelp mentioned the Lee brand portable hand loader.

Had not thought about them in years. They are esentually a pocket version of a neck only resizer. Which is fine. Except, for a few details that go along with that kind of tool.

Anyway, got to thinking, in the early 70s there was another tool like that. Think it was called the "Pack Tool" or something like that.

Anyone remember that stuff ? I did a little Google work on such things and all I could find was the Lee brand tools, in various places.

Anyone have any more details ?
Wyo

kawalekm
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
This might be what you are talking about.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=410804
This handheld unit uses regular dies and no pounding is required.

hunter63
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing.
Those presses are useful, but take a good grip to operate.

Lee actually had an offer a while back, where they offered their reloading hard cover book and one of these press included in the price.

I don't know of any other "Kits" other than the "Lee Loader" out there.
( have several and they work pretty good, if your loading for the rifle you fired the brass in)

martialcanine45cal
12-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I've got everything I need for bench reloading, but have been curious about these handheld units. Anyone have experience with them? They would be an ultimate self-reliant tool.

Wyobuckaroo
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Howdy

I'm sure the Lee hand press would work fine with any manner of neck only sizing dies. Think it would be too much to do with full length, "C" bench press type dies.

I know, at one time, there was another brand of kit, similar to the Lee kits. May have been extinct a long time now.

The Lee hand press is kind of on the order of the late 1800s and early 1900s Lyman hand loading kits.

Wyo

High_Desert
12-08-2008, 02:22 PM
There is also the old Lyman Ideal 310 tool.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(x12yo455am3ju545fxb0hd55))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=18&subId=128&styleId=424&par tNum=LYMAN-310-S

I know there is a guy online that specializes in selling the tools and dies.

Best regards,
HD

hunter63
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I checked out the site and I guess I don't know how that hand press would work.?

Good price on a used .45 T/C Hawken though.

High_Desert
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
My fault, I should have searched longer for a better example.
http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

They are vintage portable hand presses and dies. I think some variations even had a built in bullet mould.

I have never owned one yet, but many folks used them.

Yep, Track has some neat stuff!

HD

hunter63
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
HD,
Thanks for the link, that really shows the steel handles and how they work.
Didn't know the was such a thing, and I know I saw some handle sets at gun shows and walked right by.............

Interesting note, that .45 T/C Hawken listed was a flintier converted to percussion.

I would really like to convert a percussion to a flintier, but as you would expect, T/C says that you absolutely can't do it.
Project for down the road.

High_Desert
12-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Hunter, you may look at the lock section on the Track's website. They have an amazing variety of locks and I know some are conversion locks.

It seems to me the conversion would be fairly straightforward. I wonder why TC objects other than the lawyer department or the sales department whining. Oh wait, that's the two departments that control most companies! ;D

I have the Track of the Wolf catalog somewhere. I will bet its an inch thick. Makes great winter reading material.

I need to drag my flinter out and reharden the frizzen this winter and then spend more time shooting it.

Best Regards,
HD

Pitdog
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
We at work use tow different varieties of reloading at the range for pressure and velocity testing.
A small Lee press bolted securely to a piece of .750 plywood, that we can C-Clamp to the bench. The other is one of the hand operated hold it and press types, I don't like it at all.
There is always as well the option of bolting it to the tailgate or bumper of the 'spare' truck.

Swamp_Rat
03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
A kit can be put together with a Lee Hand Press, Lee three die set, Lee Ram-Prime, Lee case trimmer, loading block, case lube, a couple ammo boxes/brass(150rnds) appropriate powder scoop, 1# powder and a couple hundered primers for under a hundered bucks and it all fits in a .50cal ammo can.

If you used 2hole moulds and look for a small deep pot a small casting kit can be done also and it fits in a .50cal can too. Mine works with a MSR Wisperlite Int. or on a fire well

cmdan
06-15-2009, 07:09 AM
I did buy one of these lee loaders http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/cleeloader.html
and made up 20 rounds for my 300 weatherby (I used a scale to be more accurate) and fired them off, they worked ok. I have an RCBS Jr3 now I make ammo on, but it was fun using the little kit and knowing that if I had to I could do it again.