PDA

View Full Version : Hard Decapping

RangerRick
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
With plenty of case lub I broke my "Lee" decapper the other day while I was decapping some .223 rounds. I decapped about 5 rounds and they were really hard to do but finally the decapping pin broke. Upon examination the decapper is a solid unit unlike my RCBS dies that have a replacable pin. Fortunately I called "Lee" and they said "no problem, we'll send you out a new one free of change". Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Tks,

Rick

kawalekm
12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
HI Rich

I have broken Lee pins also, and they have always been very good about replacing them for free.

All the pins I've broken were trying to punch through Berdan primed brass. I've seen both 9mm and 30-06 brass that was Berdan. Since I reload my brass that gets picked back up at the range, there's always the chance that someone else's brass get mixed in with mine. There's a lot of surplus 5.6X45 around, and I wouldn't be surprised that any imported stuff was Berdan primed.

Two other possibilities are that a piece of stone lodged itself in the primer hole, or that the pin itself is slightly off-center, digging into the web of the case rather than going through the hole. The last possibility was more likely with an RCBS die than the Lee because of the locking nut they use.

Hopefully, you can take a depriming rod out of another set and deprime by hand. Then you can still use your broken rod for neck expansion while waiting for your new rod to arrive. I checked, and an extra 9mm rod will go into a .223 case mouth.
Good luck,
Michael

DM
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
With plenty of case lub I broke my "Lee" decapper the other day while I was decapping some .223 rounds. *I decapped about 5 rounds and they were really hard to do but finally the decapping pin broke. *Upon examination the decapper is a solid unit unlike my RCBS dies that have a replacable pin. *Fortunately I called "Lee" and they said "no problem, we'll send you out a new one free of change". *Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Tks,

Rick

I just wanted to say that long time ago, i had some 223's that had "crimped" in primers, that were quite hard to get out... Is this the case with your brass??

I don't use Lee dies, so all i can say is, you may want to use a "center punch" of the proper size to deprime that brass the first time around...

DM

docsoos
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
As stated, military primers are crimped in place, and are extremely difficult to de-prime with small and/or fragile decapping pins.

I don't personally reload military .223 brass, but my buddy uses thousands of 'em a year, and here's what he uses to swage the pocket, and get those stubborn primers out:

Midway SuperSwage 600 (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600)

Hope that helps!

DocSoos

RangerRick
12-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Tks guys, I just gave em a second look and sure enough the primers are crimped so it looks like I've got a lot of punchin to do.

Again, Tks

Rick

jim
12-31-2008, 03:24 AM
Rick

You might also try drilling a hole in some flat stock large enough for the primer to fall thru, then filling the case with water. Then (in this case) insert a short piece of 5MM drill rod and give it a smack with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure will knock out a crimped or Berdan primer. Good luck.

jim