PDA

View Full Version : Remove unfired primers from brass?

hunter63
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Interesting problem.
One I have to say I created my self quite a while ago.

I had been in the past, reloading 7mm mag cases with a Lee Hand Loader.
I had reloaded mostly my own fired brass, measuring and trimming after a couple of reloads. Never had a problem cambering the cartridges.

While out to the range, picked up a bunch of once fired, factory brass, that was fired from a different rifle.
They were trimmed, but not re sized.

While out at the range this last weekend I was getting these reloads stuck in the breach.
So, I pulled the bullets from theses cases and am going to start over.
Question, what is the best way to remover the primers?
My though for safety reasons, is to just fire them, then reload with new primers after the cases have been trimmed and sized.
Thoughts?

seekeroftruth
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Thats going to be the quickest, safest way.. * I have in the past, if I had only one or two to do, deprimed them with a universal deprimer in my press. *and did it very slowly.. but I wouldnt recommend that.

Chamber them.. pretend there is a bad guy there or huge buck if thats your choice and fire them.

just remember if there is any debris in the cases, the priming compound will throw it out of the barrel. *so dont point it at anyone. *hate to see someone lose an eye just to salvage a few pieces of brass.

seek

OzarksJohn
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Howdy.

Either pop them in the rifle, kill them by giving them a shot of WD 40 inside the case and letting them sit overnight. (You will have to clean the oil out completely before repriming and reloading though) OR simply remove the decapping pin(works on RCBS style) from your die and lube and resize the case carefully and use the existing primer in the next loading. OzarksJohn

PS
I've carefully decapped live primers without incident even though it IS NOT recommended. With safety glasses and gloves, I personally consider the hazard to be pretty low. Your decision.

iammarkjones
08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
If you have only a few loaded just pop em in the rifle to be safe. However I have decapped more than a few live primers myself.........

hunter63
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Howdy.

Either pop them in the rifle, kill them by giving them a shot of WD 40 inside the case and letting them sit overnight. (You will have to clean the oil out completely before repriming and reloading though) OR simply remove the decapping pin(works on RCBS style) from your die and lube and resize the case carefully and use the existing primer in the next loading. OzarksJohn

OJ, did the first 20 rds, removing the pin form the RCBS dies worked like a charm.
The empty brass wouldn't even chamber with/out bullet.

Popped off the first batch, then started thinking that if they wouldn't chamber empty, but did after a trip through the sizing die, (easy on the lube) maybe they would chamber after the sized and just reloaded?
Anyway gonna load up 3-5 or so and try it out, before I go through the other 60 rds.

WD-40 will kill the primers I have no doubt, but it would be a be-itch to clean them out so as to not contaminate the case.
Normally reloading is my winter time project, too much stuff to do outside in good weather, so I'll give it some thought, try the 3-5 and let ya'll know.
Thanks again.