PDA

View Full Version : SABOT rounds for my 300 magnum

shadowwalker
02-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I got these plastic sabot pieces for 30 caliber cartridges to fire 22 caliber bullets. I got that part done. Worked up a load for it. I have never got better than 6 or 7 inches for a group at 100 yards. But pretty consistant for that. I know this is not a brilliant part of knowledge everyone wants to know. But has anyone else done this. And yes I do have a use for these rounds. I wanted to shoot small game with them,but can't like this. I planned on carrying shells along on big game hunts for this purpose. I plan to work up loads for my 30 06 also. Just thought I would fly this one by everybody.

jim
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I doubt you'll ever get under 4" groups at that range and that may be a bit optomistic. The primary use for these is for tank main guns which fire hardened penetrators at other tanks and hard targets, and get match grade accuracy from them. Out of those guns, which have a bore diameter of 1" to 5", the scale and precision is greater than what a production hunting rifle is capable of.

You will get very high velocities, but reduced accuracy.

jim

shadowwalker
02-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks Jim. I thought I found another round I could show off. I guess I will stay with the 110 gr round nose and reduced loads. I works o.k. on smaller game. I used these for the occasional showshoe hair or blue grouse in Wyoming. While big game hunting.

Eli80Cal
02-17-2007, 02:29 AM
I have some of these also. I had accuracy results similar to yours (they would key hole when loaded in a 30 carbine too). I am waiting for someone to make a sabot to shoot 223 out of 357. That could be interesting.

HPshooter
02-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Years back, when the Remington "Accellerator" came out, a friend and I tried this same thing. We thought that we could improve the accuracy of the Remington factory round (which stank) by tuning it for our guns.

Forget it! The accuracy is just not there. Part of it is that the sabot simply doesn't grip the rifling of the barrel as does brass. This is significant because of the much higher velocity of the lighter bullet. And there is slippage between the sabot and the bullet itself as well. Also the barrel rate of twist is designed to stabilize a heavier bullet.

The reasons for the lack of accuracy is almost endless. After many, many tries and hours of bench work, we cut our losses and gave up.

shadowwalker
03-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks, I'm sure your comments saved me alot of time and aggrevation.

jim
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
One thing that helps the military ammo is the fact that sabot pedals are segmented into the parts that are interlocked in the barrel, but fly off in different directions at a uniform rate due to rotational forces. They are made of metal, where the commercial stuff is made from various plastics. I suspect that sabot material and scale of error has more to do with accuracy than twist rate, but that is just a guess on my part.

jim

ArmySGT.
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Part of the problem is the velocity.

The sabot is used to achieve HyperVelocity speeds by propelling a smaller lighter projectile with the charge of a main gun tank round. The sabot is in three or four segments split longitudinally. Viewed from the side the sabot has an hour glass shape. The wind resistance to the sabot is what peels away the sabot. Remember the Tank Gun rounds are traveling a kilometer a second. So the sabot rounds are used to achieve hits at extreme ranges and for penetrating 12 inches or more of homogenous steel.

jim
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
That 120 MM Main Gun is really something. Impressive to say the least. Most of the older main gun sabot ammo like the 105MM M68 that I'm most familiar with was loaded using sabots similar to the ones available to reloaders nowadays. I haven't seen any lately, but it wouldn't surprise me any at all if the newest 105MM sabots are very similar to the 120MM stuff.

jim

Toad_Sticker
04-06-2007, 03:03 PM
you can get an adapter that will shoot a .32 acp in your 300 for small game.
http://www.ows-ammo.com has em
TS

Florida_boy
03-23-2008, 04:34 AM
A .32 ACP or .30 mauser type FMJ bullet is a nice small game load as well. The 85 grainers work really nice in a .30-30 or so I am told. I prefer cast myself