PDA

View Full Version : "Lee Loader"

hunter63
01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Has anyone here used a "Lee Loader" to reload?
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1168371386.3645=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

Very basic, but has everything in the box to allow you to reload rifle and handgun loads. ('cept the powder, bullets and primers).
"bout the size of a pack of smokes, so would be idea for the BOB bag.

scoutinlife
01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I won for 12 gauge off ebay haven't tried it yet but I will in the near future want to get one for a 44 mag as well!

FireMaker
01-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I have one for each of my main shooters, just in case. Have used for 38.357, 3006, and 6.5mm. Never had any problem. Highly recommend.

Nickathome
01-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, I have and used one for my .303 enfield. They work fine in a rifle *so long as you only shoot ammo in the same gun that HAS been shot from the same gun. Reason, the Lee Loader only resizes the case neck of rifle cartridges., As long as you're using this ammo in the same gun it won't be a problem. Load this ammo and insert into a different weapon and you run the risk of a jam.....

I will admit though that the ammo I have loaded with this tool was surprizingly accurate. *Its definitely a good bug out tool, however you had better have the forethought to bring all the other "components" or its a wasted item. Better to probably just bring along already loaded ammo and be done with it. *

hunter63
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I hear ya on the cases, had that happen on my 7mag, picked up cases at the range, had a time cambering them till fired (Bolt action).

Very accurate, but need to watch what your shooting if load and bullet size is different than what you usally shoot. Still only talking about 1/2 " high @ 100 yds, same sight picture.

Guess it wouldn't work too well in a auto?, with strange cases.

HPshooter
01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Autos requre full case resizing.

DM
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I started out with a Lee Loader in the 60's, i still have a few of them around.

I'd like to add, stay AWAY from MAX loads with them unless you buy a powder scale (RCBS 505 is an excelent one) and the brand of reloading manual to go with the brand of bullets your useing...

Even then, useing MAX loads you will to have to full size your cases after a few fireings, and the Lee Loader doesn't do that.

DM

Kpdpipes
01-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I won for 12 gauge off ebay haven't tried it yet but I will in *the near future want to get one for a 44 mag as well!

I've had one in 12 Ga for years... while it works, it;s DEFINITLY a "Last Resort" IMO..it's somewhat of a pain, and the crimps are mediocre at best. *That said, not a bad choice for a BOB or cache for those "just in case" days.

VillageIdjit
01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Has anyone here used a "Lee Loader" to reload?
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1168371386.3645=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

Very basic, but has everything in the box to allow you to reload rifle and handgun loads. ('cept the powder, bullets and primers).
"bout the size of a pack of smokes, so would be idea for the BOB bag.

Hunter63
The classic lee loader is quite a tool. I do not consider it an "only" loader but as long as you are using the brass that has only been shot from your rifle, it will be an invaluable tool for your BOB.

I've loaded for over 40 years and find the classic lee loader to be extremely handy in the field, at the range, and as an emergency tool. I bought one for my son to "test" his interest in reloading and found that his interest was as high as mine. My thoughts were that if he could not tolerate the "boredom" of reloading I would only be out a few dollars. He loved the process and has since graduated to a complete reloading shop setup.

All Lee products can be purchased at a discount from
http://www.factorysales.com/, a Lee dealer.

The loader is $29.98 from Lee and $15.66 from the above dealer.

Good luck and have fun,

Vic

tn_junk
02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I have loaded many 100's of 20 gauge and .30-30 with one. Spent a lot of money upgrading to "real" loading stuff, but still like the lee loader. Kind of a zen thing sitting quietly loading one at a time.

alan

WRTN
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I used a Hornady 366 progressive reloader to reload 12 gauge shotgun shells for many years and had very good results making factory quality shotgun shell reloads. It ain't gonna fit in the BOB but they are excellent reloaders.

I am currently looking at the Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive reloader for some .223, 7mm Remington Mag, and 30-06 reloads.

I have a Lee reloading press but have not used it yet. It looks like a good candidate for reloading small lots of ammo and is much more compact.

flatwater
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
been using a lee for years and for the money you get more bang for the buck. There are better loaders mind you but the lee works fine.
Flatwater

RangerRick
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
12 & 20 gage but at the cost of those it isn't hardly worth the effort.

Rick

Florida_boy
03-23-2008, 03:07 AM
I have used a Lee Loader for years. I wouldn't be without one. As was said above they neck size only which really shines in a bolt action or single shot. I loaded for a Thompson Contender in .30-30 with GREAT results. 3 rounds at 50 yards you could cover with a dime.