PDA

View Full Version : Just how many mice are in our home?

marnee
10-27-2008, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure if I should post this here because it is an "other animal issue", or if it belongs better somewhere else.

I was cleaning my bathroom this morning and open a drawer that I seldom use. Inside I found my box of Qtips empty and full of mouse droppings. Since the drawer is right above my sink, I'm guessing that the mice just stole my qtips. Even if they magically disappeared some other way, I still have mice in my bathroom.

We've been avoiding having to deal with our mouse problem, but this for me is the last straw. Since we've been allowing mice to skitter their way through our home and walls (yeah, we've heard them in our walls at times), what are some options we have to rid our home of mice? I'm not asking about how to prevent them from entering, since we'll be on top of that this week. I'm wondering what to do about the ones that could have already set up residence inside of our home?

We have a toddler, so I want to avoid anything that involves toxins or nasty smells if possible. Are there ways that we can determine about how many mice we have in our home? What are your suggestions on how to get rid of them?

edward_4576
10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Of course there's the old standby - mouse traps. I use peanut butter on them, they seem to like it more. I also have used with great success those flat sticky things (i don't know what you really call them). They work very well, our animals stay away from them because of the adhesive on them and you can place them anywhere. They also catch more than mice, they get any bugs crawling around too.

rivahmom
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I always used the sticky traps for the mice (It would catch wolf spiders too). However we noticed they were comming in and out to from the areas around the duct work so we removed the vents and were able to stick poison in the wall away from pets and children.

walls0stone
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
along with cutting the grass, keeping the place tidy and keeping some cats around that pull weaght. I use the old snap traps, lots of PB and poison in the outbuildings....and just try not to give them a reason to be around. Someone commented to me that they never had mice.. I said

"that;'s cuz you live in a city, have no food in the house anddon't know what to look for"

Stuipid City people.

marnee
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Great points. Poison makes me a bit nervous, though, because I don't want to smell dead mice in my walls while they decompose. Is that really a problem, or am I just being silly?

pathwayholding
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
We use mice cubes purchased from Walmart. We put a cracker spread with peanut butter in it. Within a few days we get a mouse or two.

path

rivahmom
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Great points. *Poison makes me a bit nervous, though, because I don't want to smell dead mice in my walls while they decompose. *Is that really a problem, or am I just being silly?

We never smelled a dead mouse. The sales guy at southern states told us it dried up the blood and they dehydrate or mummify.

marnee
10-28-2008, 12:09 AM
mice cubes... now I can let the strays outside kill the mouse instead of hearing the snap of the trap and dragging sound when it didn't work instantly. Nice!

So with the poison I just end up with mummified mice in my walls. I don't know if that's much better, though it is better to an extent. Maybe I'm not really cut out to be in the country. ???

walls0stone
10-28-2008, 12:20 AM
eh, you'll have mice in the walls any how..not like they go off to a wonderful place to die like the old jungle movie with tarzan.

I've also set traps outside with PB in the barn and equipment building. place them so that the triger is facing, and the wooden base it touching a wall. Mice like to run with a flank to a wall. I have a regular trap line in winter. keep sometraps down beside the woodstove. Oh, my chickens eat mice and snakes :) Supprise, My rooster knows I won't kill or eat anything that will kill mice, snakes or other unwanted guests. once saw him pecking a pile of crap to get the taste of an inlaw out of his beak :)

fnfredux
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
be SURE to clean up any mouse dropping and areas where you had mice or suspect them with water and chlorine bleach, mice carry Hanta virus, which is especially bad for kids, old people and those with comprimised immune systems.
Mice are filthy spreaders of disease and destroyers of food.
Pull out all the stops, outside too as those outside WILL find a way in, no matter what.
Here's something I found out the hard way. If you buy straw and put it in you Jeep...take it out as soon as you get home. Yep, must've been a mouse in the straw (common occurrence) I left in my Jeep for two days. He /she decided to take up residence in the interir space between the outer steel panels and inner plastic panels of my car... I guess he finall starved to death or died of thirst cause abot two weeks after I bought the straw, one morning when I got in the car (I only use it a couple of time a week) well the stench was there IS no way to describe it...
I HATE mice, kill as many as you can and you'll be aiding mankind greatly.

danville
12-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Marnee,
Make sure you aren't feeding them. By that I mean no food left out, human or animal, indoors or out. If you feed the birds you will want to stop for a few weeks and be sure to clean up any food under the feeders. Don't leave out pet or livestock food. Store it in sealed metal containers. Metal garbage cans with tight fitting lids work well. Also, stop putting scraps in the compost heap for a couple of weeks. If they don't have food it will limit your problem. Personally I prefer poison bait. I always have it out for them in areas not available to people or other animals. I haven't seen any signs of mice or rats in several months and the bait packets I put out in the spring are still pretty full. Good luck.

remington
12-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I have rat terriers. They kill mice, rats, opossums, coons, weasels, skunks (bad experience), snakes, squirrels, rabbits, and anything else small and furry that wanders within 2 miles.

jen_in_southtexas
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Marnee,

I feel your pain. But do not get soft with the mice. They are nasty, not only will they crap everywhere but they will pee everywhere they trail. Ive had horrible experiences with them in the past. And for everyone ONE you see there are 10 more. I prefer using the regular ol mouse traps. I have used the glue plates before but have actually seen them come undone and get away from the glue plates. Some have died on them. Get rid of them soon because your house will start to smell like mice if it hasnt already. I can walk into a house and can literally detect that rat smell if there are any. But thats because of a bad experience i had in a rental house years ago.

I hate mice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

-j

mtwildflower
01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I always used bacon grease in my traps. Worked way better than peanut butter.

That and outdoor cats...lots of them.

We had scads of deer mice. Cute little buggers...but deer mice nonetheless. Sure didn't want hantavirus.

flatwater
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I only have one mouse a year. I live catch it then take a Red Hot and stuff it up it's butt and turn it loose. After it passes the word around I usually don't get a mouse for another year. The problem is they have a short memery ;)

fnfredux
01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I only have one mouse a year. I live catch it then take a Red Hot and stuff it up it's butt and turn it loose. After it passes the word around I usually don't get a mouse for another year. The problem is they have a short memery ;)
a red hot what?

homemade_mamma
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM

HAAAAHAAAHA! That's good!

Anyway, here's my take on spreading poison. We have always had mice come in when the weather turns. No matter how many cats and even a rat terrier. (Old house) We put out the little poison packets in the bastement( really just a hole in the ground under the house) and thought that would be safe away from the kids.
In the last 2 weeks I have found a PILE of those little green nuggets in my dirty clothes hamper, 3 different times! Like the mouse was making a nest or something. I do laundry ever morning so it hadn't sat there long, but too long when I have a 1 1/2 year old that thinks everything on the floor should be tasted.
I finally caught the little bastard in a snap trap a few days ago. (and I really think it was a small rat :o) I also bought some more steel wool to seal up any big cracks and crevases around the house. So far so good.
SOOO I would be real carefull about poison when it comes to kids. I would have never dreamed that they would bring it up into the house.

~Debbie

tufhelp
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Debbie, what is the story with steel wool for sealing up the house - does it deter the little bastiges? Haven't heard of this technique before...

homemade_mamma
01-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Debbie, what is the story with steel wool for sealing up the house - does it deter the little bastiges? Haven't heard of this technique before...

Oh yes I really believe it does. They can't chew through it and if you stuff it tight enough they can't move it either. I put it around the pipes where they go into the walls. And any place there is an opening that can lead to inside the walls or the bastement.
I guess I should have put more under the bastement door. I took it out when I was storing things down there this fall.

~Debbie

Anon001
01-16-2009, 01:33 AM
**I would have never dreamed that they would bring it up into the house.

~Debbie

Anything you put out for mice that they can eat, they will either carry it to a nest (the good points of poison) or they will carry it to where they plan to nest....a clothes hamper, a sock drawer, etc....

They have a bar bait that has a hole in the center you can nail in place now. Also, they have bait stations for rats and mice that you place the bar bait or bait chunks in and they can't take it out and kids and pets can't get into it. It has a "key" that opens it when you have to replace the poison.

I don't use the packets because I didn't like the pellets being carried to the rest of the house I buy the bar bait.

Paul

Southerngirl
03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Another place to use the steel wool, under your sinks where the drain pipe goes down, in our double wide they were not sealed off like some homes are. WE have had them push through it even though they say they never will pass it, so I don't know if ours just got used to it or were desperate? lol
Another thought is, in our old farm house, we removed the base boards and you could see the ground (literally) under the house, so we used that foam spray and sealed off those areas or caulking would work, then just nail your base boards back on and you never see it. Also around the area for your dryer vent, if it's not secure, it's a good place for mice to come in the house that someone wouldn't see regularly.
WE use the sticky traps, though I hate hearing them when they get stuck, they squeak like crazy trying to pull themselves loose and my daughter hates it!
WE also had the trouble with poison being brought in the house when we threw it under the house, ect. But if you have outbuildings you can use it in there and we've never seen it make it this far into the house.
Hope some of those ideas help, I HATE MICE!!!! >:( >:(
I even had dreams of them overtaking my house once because the farm house we lived in prior to moving here was across the street from a grain elevator and well y'know how bad mice are there, feeding off the grain, we had 100's of them in the sunflowers behind the house. I mean 100's. The guys used to ride their 4 wheelers through it and kill them. Ugh!~
Southerngirl