PDA

View Full Version : 2014 COLA Raise, or NOT...

Tim Horton
10-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Well retired campers.......Here is an aarticle about the next COLA raise....

I don't think I have gotten one since I started collecting SS...... Just worked out that way.... For me, it with the figures given it will definitely be less than $20.oo At that rate, that is breakfast and a little change left over at the local bean pot cafe.....

But now that I'm on Medicare, there is no news here about how that will go up.......
Anyone with more detailed info ??
======
http://news.yahoo.com/social-security-raise-among-lowest-years-122713809.html

Colorado
10-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Wyo,
I donot know any more than that. 1.5 I read else where too but not offical. Suppose to announced the middle of this month. Medicare I think last year was not told till Dec. My RM Med Ins is up like $7.50 I think. 7 some thing. I am on Rocky Mountain which is Colorado one. I do have that and medicare handbook which I can not find they say the raise or not. Just wait and see. Med ins know what thier cuts are I would guess. I read some where medicae has to add up the bills for the year and see if they need to raise.

offgridbob
10-14-2013, 12:34 AM
I watched my mom on SS and every time she would get a cola something else would go up. I got a cola I think two years ago and they took the same amount out for Obummercare

ajk1941
10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
The Feds say that the cost of living hasn't gone up. The packages of food have gotten almost 50% smaller, but the price is still the same. Go figure...

gunslinger598
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
It's my understanding that when they calculate the cost of living they exclude food & energy.

What a crooked way to do things since those areas are the ones that increase the most.

MissouriFree
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
It's my understanding that when they calculate the cost of living they exclude food & energy.

What a crooked way to do things since those areas are the ones that increase the most.

The cola is based on CPI consumer price index. It includes food and fuel.

http://stats.bls.gov/cpi/cpifaq.htm#Question_7

Colorado
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I thought they included food and energy. Last I read I think it is based on 5 things, food, energy, housing, technology, and clothing. But they have creative ways of doing it.

Milk is same price here and bread like $1.79 for cheapest loaf. I bake or try to do it. When I bake I share with my son. Bread and baked stuff sure is high.

How much has your investments and saving came up. Right now I would be glad for one point five on savings. Does your pension increase?

MissouriFree
10-14-2013, 06:20 PM
It's 8 categories

FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals, snacks)
HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)
APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)
TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)
MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)
RECREATION (televisions, toys, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

Some one mention fuel. Gas is now at lowest price in 3 years.

gunslinger598
10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
The cola is based on CPI consumer price index. It includes food and fuel.

http://stats.bls.gov/cpi/cpifaq.htm#Question_7

It certainly makes more sense.

It has been a year or two since I read to the contrary & it seemed crazy.

Colorado
10-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks MF for update.

I went over on AARP site this AM but they donot know . Seems COLA will not be annouced till this Gov shut down is settled.

MissouriFree
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I hear it is going to be 1.5% at the most. just to preclude other info here is the last years:

January 2008 -- 2.3%
January 2009 -- 5.8%
January 2010 -- 0.0%
January 2011 -- 0.0%
January 2012 -- 3.6%
January 2013 -- 1.7%

Colorado
10-18-2013, 04:30 PM
If I get a raise it is already spent I would guess. RM med ins up little over $7 a month for 2014. No infor on medicare payment which I have to pay to have RM ins. right there I figure 2/3 of it is gone for sure and the other 3rd I will save to help pay the copayments with. I really will not have more to live on. Dr just increased my one pill I take I take 1/3 more now. So that is up. I can not see I will have any more really but I will be glad for what ever to help pay the bills. As stuff is up and I will have to watch the pennies a lot closer. Every little bit will help.

Colorado
10-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Has anyone heard if to be a raise for sure?

Some of us older ones were talking yesterday and their med ins had came up. We ate at the senior center out of town. None had heard anything on medicare or SS. You think they will wait till they send out the letter telling the raise?

MissouriFree
10-30-2013, 05:21 PM
This just came out saying they are ready to announce a 1.5% Cola

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/525/3493953/SSA-set-to-announce-2014-COLA

anna
10-30-2013, 06:31 PM
I heard that this a.m. Now I'm awaiting the amount the Medicare premiums will increase. My part D went from $37.50 to over $120 so I'm looking for new coverage there. We haven't yet heard how much our supplements will increase. I anticipate more meals of beans and rice in 2014.

Colorado
10-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Thank you MF.
Now if they would say if and what medicare will increase.

We will find out when we get the SS letter saying what will get and what medicare is. So we can plan our budget at th end of the year. Any way as I said my raise will stay in the bank to pay ins in RM med Ins and help pay copys. I will end up with no more extra to live on. That is my plan. I am not griping but stating a fact. I would guess many of us older seniors are the same way. More medical bills. If you do not you are lucky. I can not cut off my internet as would not have a phone then. My phone is on land line and internet. (For hard of hearing.) Phone here is high. Only one company here. $20 raise I feel is good. I am glad toget that much. One lady last week said her ins had came up $20 a month. She is on the thrifty plan and I am on the standard. RM says on mine they meet the Ocare said can work with it and that was all I needed. I pay medicare and them to have RM.

Colorado
10-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Anna,
Right now I pay $225 month med ins. Medicare and Rocky Mountain. Iam on RM totally. They , RM, will come up little over $7 in 2014. That takes a good whack of my SS check. I was on their higher priced plan that covered more. I have lab tests all the time. If lucky just once a month but can be every week. I presume medicare will have to meet Ocare too if it does not already.

Beans and rice are on my diet of things I can eat. I can eat pasta. I cannot eat greens and such.. I can eat a little greenbeans and peas.

I like beans fine and one can use different kinds and it helps give it a variety. I know what you mean.

Colorado
10-30-2013, 09:41 PM
I found it on medicare. Same as this year.

Prescription jumped up this year here. One just now increased the amount of pills for 90 days so price went up of course. I had to have more of it per day. All generic but here no $4 prescription. I afraid prescription will go up more this coming year. ONe of the ladies on the senior bus got a prescription filled first time one her ins free and next time over a $100. She argued with them and they stuck to it. I gave up trying to figure out the drug deal. I hope paying the drug ins does some good.

Selena
10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
I heard that this a.m. Now I'm awaiting the amount the Medicare premiums will increase. My part D went from $37.50 to over $120 so I'm looking for new coverage there. We haven't yet heard how much our supplements will increase. I anticipate more meals of beans and rice in 2014.

My parents rate went up slightly - no where near your jump. I need to find out if rate relief for Part D is reviewed by the state. If so, then your state approved the increase. It would behoove you to verify with your state department of insurance.

In my parents case, their selection is limited as a drug my father takes is not covered under many plans. And since plans are allowed to change the rules any time during year (aka not cover the drug or hike the rates), it is always a roll of the dice for them. Plus the maker of the drug is fighting the generic version of the drug (which is available in Canada).

Prohibiting Medicare from negotiating drug rates was a gift to big pharma.

Laura
11-01-2013, 01:52 AM
1983 Waitresses made 1.85 an hour
2013 Waitresses make 2.13 an hour.

That's a whopping .28 in the last THIRTY YEARS!!!

Almost a penny a year!!:mad:

MissouriFree
11-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Before comparing lets apply inflation.

$1.85 in 1983 is worth $4.35 in today's dollars

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

ScrubbieLady
11-01-2013, 01:53 PM
And that is not what they make. That is "minimum wage". I know several waitresses. They make much more when you add in tips(frequently unreported and untaxed).

But, they also make better money if they are picky about where they work and what the employer offers.

Selena
11-01-2013, 02:08 PM
The IRS will do a calculation and if it appears tips are under reported, you'll get a notice. It is foolish to not claim any tips.

Tim Horton
11-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Here is something about the price of Medicare for 2014......

When I started this I had in the back of my mind even if there is a COLA raise, what would be the raise in Medicare...

So it seems the COLA is set at 1.5% and this article is saying Medicare will remain the same....

And in the same sentence they are saying the raise will average something less than $20 a month at most....

Thoughts ??
===
http://portal.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T039-C001-S003-medicare-part-b-and-part-d-premiums-for-2014.html

Laura
11-02-2013, 12:38 PM
The IRS will do a calculation and if it appears tips are under reported, you'll get a notice. It is foolish to not claim any tips.

ALL credit card tips are immediately reported.
At the end of the year, if the servers sales, and 'claimed' tips do not "match" then the employer WILL ALLOCATE a dollar value to the server.......which she will then pay all at once at the end of the year.

It is FOOLISH not to claim your tips for many reasons.

1. It's dishonest.

2. IF you have to claim disability or unemployment, your check will be based upon your income, as claimed, by you.

3. IF you need to get a loan, the bank will want to see your W-2....which is going to show what you 'claimed' you made.

4. IF you claim everything you make, and SAVE your end of the night check out slips (proof) OR keep a government issued 'tip book' (showing how much you made and how much you had to tip out) IF your employer 'allocates' you tips......you can tell them to take it off, because you have PROOF that you do NOT owe any more money!!

ScrubbieLady
11-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Well, if you go down that list. Wait staff are also supposed to be paid minimum wage if they are doing other work at the restaurant and if they don't receive enough tips, the employer is supposed to make up the difference. The logic behind the reduced minimum wage is that tips bring them up above what the other minimum wage is set at.

I am talking about what happens, not what the law says. BUT, the main thing is that wait staff makes good money if they are good and are picky about who they work for.

doc
11-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Prohibiting Medicare from negotiating drug rates was a gift to big pharma.

Even more shameful is the fact that there are 5000 drugs available in the US and only about 20 of them are worth taking. The others only show pitifully small improvements in outcome but they are prescribed because of the threat of multi-million dollar malpractice suits.

It's amazing how many seniors don't take the prescribed meds (because of cost) and do just fine.

MYellowRose
11-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Since I get two government checks I'll probably get the same raise on each of them and believe me even that tiny bit will be very much appreciated, I'm guessing $19 on my SS and with any luck about $22 on my VA-DIC as it's higher to begin with. I'm not old enough for Medicare yet, get all my medical care from the VA and will continue to do so once I am old enough and start getting Medicare. Thankfully the ACA won't have any effect on my medical, I've already been told that by the VA, I'm covered for everything but dental so I'm happy.

Laura
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Well, if you go down that list. Wait staff are also supposed to be paid minimum wage if they are doing other work at the restaurant and if they don't receive enough tips, the employer is supposed to make up the difference. The logic behind the reduced minimum wage is that tips bring them up above what the other minimum wage is set at.

Servers are paid 2.13 an hour
Minimum wage is 7.25 an hour.
The difference being 5.12 an hour.

IF a sever cannot make 5.12 in tips in one hour, then (1) it's time to find a new place to work (2) Maybe she is not cut out to be a server.

This is also based on the pay period, not by the shift.
SO if you have a tues and wednesday shift where you 'don't make enough in tips to equal minimum wage' BUT your Friday Saturday are smokin amazing.......those two shifts bring balance to the 2 bad shifts.

In the 33 years I have been in the business, I have never, had a pay period that was SO BAD the employer had to make up the difference.
I have worked during bizzards, strikes, plant closures, flooding...you name it.....and never have I had a pay period so bad that the employer had to make up the difference.

I am talking about what happens, not what the law says. BUT, the main thing is that wait staff makes good money if they are good and are picky about who they work for.

You better believe it!!
Location is EVERYTHING.
There is a town, closer to me than the one I work in, and WILD HORSES could not drag me there to work ever again.....
Hideous Hideous people. Hideous.
I love where I am located now......amazing location.
I love the people who come into the restaurant....they 'get it'.

Colorado
11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
MYR'
You must be getting around $2500 a month then. And $40 a month raise is pretty darn good raise. $1200 and some SS gets like $19 raise. And your medical paid by VA. That is worth a lot.

Med Ins is eating me up. $225 a month right now and that goes to $232 in Jan. My raise I hope will be $20 a month. With $7 some of that going for the Med Ins increase. And I pay for my prescriptions and copays. So should be getting $14 or 15 a month increase. I pay $15 copay to go to regular Dr and $45 to go to eye Dr. One precription I have to take 1/3 more a day so that increased. I have 4 prescriptions. Even with drug Ins I pay now like $25 a month on them. THat is getting off easy I know. We pay for medicare and there are deductible and copays with it. Why I pay extra ins to help out.

MYR, you are very luck to ahve that much incomeand benefits.

anna
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
I called BCBS today to inquire on supplemental insurance rates for 2014. Mine is going up $4.20 and dh's $18.10. Our increase to SS due to COLA is around $34 so more than half gone before we get it! I'm still trying to sort out a new Part D. If I go with Humana premiums will be $12.60. The problem with all Part D is they give you the premium, tell you if what you're taking now is covered, deductible amount etc., but its almost impossible to figure out the various tiers for drugs and potential amounts to be paid if its not tier 1. Some companies have 5 tiers others 2. I've spent a great deal of time and effort trying to figure out my best option, but at this point I'm pretty much tempted to roll the dice and go with the lowest premium which Humana/Walmart and hope for the best. I pretty much hate Walmart's pharmacy so I'll probably order 90 days from wherever they say. Its all a crap shoot anyway with drugs coming from China or some other unknown place.

Selena
11-09-2013, 02:34 AM
But if we want to mail order from Canada, the drugs aren't "safe". Malarkey!