PDA

View Full Version : "Black Friday" 2013 or Not...

Tim Horton
11-20-2013, 09:13 PM
OK... We have all seen a few Black Fridays. Some of us have seen more than others..... (old guy)......

But it seems there is a lot being said this year Black Friday will be a lot different than many other years....

Most notably starting a lot earlier this year... Some places around or before Halloween... Rather than the usual around Thanks Giving holiday....

Here is an article about how to better use money that has been usually spent on these kind of promotions...

Personally, I plan to avoid as much hype shopping as possible... I have the luxury of having time to shop almost any hour during the week.... And don't have any needs that normal grocery shopping and life maintenance can't handle....

Actually..... I could use a couple new bed pillows.... But there should be "white sales" in January..... Hopefully crowds and things will be a bit easier to navigate places....

Facts, details, thoughts ???
===
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nine-products-not-buy-black-171203359.html

Selena
11-21-2013, 02:13 AM
"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" - Will Rogers

Black Friday is a brainwash IMHO. In the pre big-box era, the day after T-Day was a sane outing to view decorations and shopping for a well thought out gift. Now it is a chaotic thrall of "shoppers" (mostly women) armed with their plastic "money". Your b-day and Xmas were the days you got a special gift or two. Now people (adults and children) get "stuff" all year.

I would shop one day (not Black Friday) when my kids were young. One store in my area had a late night shopping Saturday. I loved it - I'd head out at 10:30 pm and get all my shopping done. I avoid going out on Black Friday - shoppers are more of a danger than criminals.

Laura
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
When my oldest child was 6 (she is now 23) we started Black Friday shopping.

The first time was actually so we could go see her God-mother (she worked retail)......back in those days, "door busting" meant the stores opened at 6 am and the first 100 or so folks thru the door got a 'goodie' bag.....

Anyway, a tradition was born.

I don't really 'christmas' shop on black friday.
It's a 'stock up' day for me.
I look for the practical things I can use (one year twin sized electric blankets were on sale for 10.00......I bought 5) all year long.
It's also a GREAT day to pick thru clearance. A lot of stores mark it down 90% off just to get it out of the store (camping scores GALORE)

My daughter and I always make it a point to be kind / friendly to the cashiers. It's a hairy day, and people can be so ugly.......so we try to be that one ray of sunshine!

I do NOT will NOT go to Best Buy or Walmart.
I don't care if they are giving away free ammo, lottery tickets and whiskey.....I am NOT setting foot in either of those stores.

Greed is ruining our tradition.
Opening on Thanksgiving.......OMGosh.
No matter. She and I will still get up early on Friday morning, shop, have our cinnamon crunch bagel and star bux, and enjoy the snot out of ourselves.

No one can steal our joy, and I refuse to relinquish it!!:D

Txanne
11-21-2013, 11:47 AM
And i just noticed last night that our little Family Dollar will be open Thanksgiving Day.

Now if you didnt make a list and get (all) your stuff for your dinner--you expect folks to work and provide for your brain--fXXXXs.

And if a worker refuses they will lose their jobs.

NOONE was allowed to take off during the Black Fridays sales at Walmart.
We were told we had better have a death certificate if we did. You would be fired immediately.

Remember the Blue Laws?

whitehairedidiot
11-21-2013, 11:59 AM
What I've noticed the last couple of years, is that it seems they don't sell out on Black Friday or something... and if you wait till a couple weeks before Christmas, you'll see an even BETTER sale for some things.

I'm in the market for a laptop for a 13 yr old boy and you can be sure I'm not going to pay big bucks for it. I have an old netbook, I might "re-purpose" for him first... but it's running XP... so it wouldn't last him too long. Deals are starting to show up, Staples is the one hubs told me about. $179 laptops.

Tim Horton
11-23-2013, 03:14 PM
OK..... So to go along with the link about things to NOT buy on Black Friday.

Here is something about things that are GOOD buys for Black Friday...

Actually..... I don't need any of this stuff either....

Good luck....
===
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nine-best-deals-black-friday-223439820.html

Selena
11-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Truth be told, most of us don't need any more "stuff".

My kids watched very little TV - their Xmas lists had very little on it. Advertising is bad enough, TV shows even worse at times (aka "reality" TV).

For some reason, giving a functional/practical gift has fallen out of favor. If a person needs socks and underwear, there is nothing wrong with those being their gift IMHO.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - consumer spending is the last weapon the average person has in his/her arsenal.

Mesquite_Bean
11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I am FLOORED at the push for big ticket items....cars and trucks, appliances, big screen tvs, jewelry, computers, etc.

We don't typically watch tv but we've got a winter storm coming through so I got out the rabbit ears to monitor it a bit. Good grief! The commercials.....a lot of advertising $$$ has been spent. Can people really afford this stuff? My guess is no...but those commercials breed discontentment and that want has become a need in their minds. :(

I remember mom and my aunts getting the Sunday paper before Thanksgiving specifically for the ads but I don't recall excessive gifts....actually one or two bought gifts and the rest were patterns and fabric....Mom was a seamstress. :)

We don't do the black Friday madness at all....usually we go to a homestead fair on the Friday following Thanksgiving. The only individual gifts the kids get is socks and underware and then we do one group gift such as a zoo/museum membership, game, netflix, etc.

whitehairedidiot
11-26-2013, 07:53 PM
For all the money spent trying to guilt people to go into debt buying presents, many people have just stopped. Lots of different things are now "traditional" - maybe a big family dinner where everyone brings food contributions instead of gifts, to be donated. Spending time together doing fun things instead of spending big bucks.

Hubs and I haven't bought each other gifts for a long time. We decide what "the house" needs and buy that. Last year, it was reloading basics. This year we put together basic bugout bags for all 3 households; almost done. We're still waiting for a couple of things to come in. The big grandpa-kid gift was bought over the summer. Kids really start to understand about money and the need to save it, sooner than adults think. Time spent with the kiddies is priceless and doesnt cost a thing.

Colorado
12-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I had planned to buy material for quilts black Friday but it worked out a lady was driving to the town I wanted and so shopped on Monday before. Two Cubbs stores. Only bought material. They have material I can not find else where. I know will not get back down there for a long time. Buy when I can get it. They really were no higher than Walmart. Material has came up. Friday I did not look for anything else. Son knew I wanted material and he asked if I had gotten it and DIL said her friend was driving there. We did stop at thrift shop and it had nohing I wanted or needed. I did not get to the other thrif shop as open Monday only. It has good buys. I spent a lot on materials.