PDA

View Full Version : Medicare fees

papitohead
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
My sister lives in Florida and she says her medicare is free. In other words, she thinks the states pays for the $90+ fee we pay here. Is this true or is she reading her statement wrong. My statement shows I paid 1258.80 on 2013 and was paid nearly $24,000 total SS benefits.

anna
01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Dh and I each paid $1,258.80 for Medicare last year. If your sister's income is below a certain point, her supplemental policy and Part D might be paid by a .gov program. Perhaps that's what she is talking about.

papitohead
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Thank you Anna. You are probably right. She thinks that in Florida there is no fee because the State picks up your fee. If that was the case, every retired person would live in Florida. I kept telling her that SS is a Fed agency and not a State agency. I wonder if there is a table you can go by to see what a person would pay for medicare.

Txanne
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
$104.90 a month out of my check---and I do have Texan-plus to cover what medicare doesnt that includes scripts.

papitohead
01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks. That is exactly what I pay a month. Seems to be the fee for middle to upper class. I read somewhere you may pay up to $426/mo but that must be for the rich.

Selena
01-29-2014, 02:45 AM
If Hatch/Burr/Coburn have their way, we'll all be paying income tax on part of our health insurance. As with any health plan, those at/below/within X percent of poverty pay (or don't pay at all) a different rate than others.

Tim Horton
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I pay the usual $104.90 for Medicare.... And $79 a month for part C and D coverage...

Haven't been to the Dr. since I started Medicare, so I don't know what is or isn't covered, or how well things are covered....

I'm hoping hearing aids are covered some how.... As I need the TV turn up a lot more this winter.... An 8 year old told me I have too much hair in my ears.... :eek: :bad:

Txanne
02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
WYO
Medicare use to pay for my flu/pneumonia shots--now--NOPE not covered.
And my TexanPlus WONT either--there ya go--obummer thanks.

I pay 104.90 a month plus my TexanPlus and none of it covers jack??????????
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Selena
02-04-2014, 12:56 PM
WYO
Medicare use to pay for my flu/pneumonia shots--now--NOPE not covered.
And my TexanPlus WONT either--there ya go--obummer thanks.

I pay 104.90 a month plus my TexanPlus and none of it covers jack??????????
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Flu shots

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) (http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/flu-shots.html#1368) normally covers one flu shot per flu season in the fall or winter.
Who's eligible?

All people with Medicare are covered.

Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay nothing for a flu shot if the doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment (http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/flu-shots.html#1286) for giving the shot, and the Part B deductible (http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/flu-shots.html#1306) doesn't apply. If you get your flu shot from a doctor who doesn't accept assignment, you may have to pay an additional fee for the doctor's services, but not for the shot itself.
Note
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs.

Pneumococcal shots

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) (http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/pneumococcal-shots.html#1368) covers a pneumococcal shot to prevent pneumococcal infections (like certain types of pneumonia). Most people only need this preventive shot once in their lifetime. Talk with your doctor or other health care provider to see if you need to shot.
Who's eligible?

All people with Medicare are covered.

Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay nothing for a pneumococcal shot.
If the doctor or other qualified health care provider doesn't accept assignment (http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/pneumococcal-shots.html#1286) , you may have to pay an additional fee for the doctor's services, but not for the shot itself.
Note
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs.

Medicare covers some vaccines and immunizations. The way Medicare covers them depends on which vaccine you need.
Your Medicare Part B will cover vaccines to prevent:

Influenza (the flu);

Currently, the seasonal flu shot includes both a seasonal flu shot and an H1N1 (swine flu) vaccination.

Pneumonia; and
Hepatitis B (if you are at medium to high risk).

Txanne
02-04-2014, 09:25 PM
If you get the replacement for parts C&D--it all depends on whom you chose.
I have A&B(B I pay for)
And I didnt last year and now I pay a penalty----obummers hand reaches way back.

My Medicare use to pay for them--but if you have the replacement for C&D medicare No longer pays for them.
And I have to have the pneumonia shot.

Tell me again how good we seniors got it.

papitohead
02-04-2014, 09:52 PM
As I stated before, I do have my Medicare, but as of late I seldom use it. I was in a little Christian center that my wife and I have in Colombia and when I was fixing a roof, the roof gave and I fell down. I broke my hand and my foot. I have to fly to PR so I could get help because did not have health insurance in Colombia. When I got here doctors where skeptical about my case and kept sending me around to different doctors and hospital. Finally I decided to go to the VA hospital because being a vet. I had surgery on my hand, later on my foot twice and now I use VA care all the time. My wife wants me to give up Medicare and save the money. I still have it but have been thinking about it very strong because they are beginning to add charges to every thing. At the VA hospital I show up, get my flue, and pneumonia shots the same day I request it. Every thing is computerized so you don't carry papers or nothing. Of course, I am in PR and many say that we have one of the best VA hospital there is.

klamath
02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Something middle aged and older people need to worry about in some states like California is estate recovery.
If you try and sign up in the exchange and your income is below a certain level you automatically get signed up with Medicaid. No big deal, right?
well you won't have to pay, great...as long as you are alive. Think you have a house or some other assets you want to pass onto your kids, think again. The state can seized that property for asset recovery for your years on Medicaid.
Well you say, then I won't ever use it because after all I should pay for it if I do. Well it seems Medicaid is managed by a nonprofit private entity. They get paid Medicaid funds for every person that they have enrolled whether those people use it or not. The state can and probably will recover those funds that it paid to the private manager from YOUR estate. It is a nicely hidden death tax that very few people are aware in Obamacare.
So if you want to leave something to your kids try and fudge your numbers above the medicaid income criteria otherwise the state gets your assets.

Colorado
02-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Wyo,
Medicare does not pay for hearing aids. Pays one medical test to see if you can be helped I went through the medical route first time and total nothing to help and hearing would continue t get worse. and if just hearing aids needed you pay. I am on RM and same deal . I got hearing aids last summer and $3400 for the pair. If it medical the hearing and they can do something then that different . I am on my 3rd pair of aids now. I have worn like 23 years now. The big type seem to be cheaper. If low enough income and all Medicaid. VA covers them for some. My nephew and they lost his records. He went to clinic or Medicaid or something. My hearing aid guy got me this phone for hard of hearing free. I read it. I know I sure wish the ins would pay for my hearing aids.

Selena
02-05-2014, 01:59 AM
If you get the replacement for parts C&D--it all depends on whom you chose.
I have A&B(B I pay for)
And I didnt last year and now I pay a penalty----obummers hand reaches way back.

My Medicare use to pay for them--but if you have the replacement for C&D medicare No longer pays for them.
And I have to have the pneumonia shot.

Tell me again how good we seniors got it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the late enrollment penalties (A, B, and D) have nothing to do with the current administration.