PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Bag Charge...

Tim Horton
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/10-cent-grocery-bag-fee-proposed-york-city-23069769
===
WOW..... Where to put this... It could go so many places.... New York considering charging for grocery bags....

First off... First thought is that this seems more of the kind of idea that would come from the west coast, not the east coast....

I think the idea has been brought up several times before, but a considerable time ago... And don't remember from where....

I know that Aldi stores have charged for bags for a while now.... Not sure about any other retailers....

Info, facts, thoughts ???

Tim Horton
03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Just coincidentally...... On this afternoons news they were telling about a group of seniors who are recycling plastic grocery bags....

They are processing them into a thick yarn... Then crochet them int sleeping mats for a homeless shelter....

When I was a kid, I remember my Mom, Grandma and aunt used to make small door mat size rugs out of plastic bread wrappers...

Info.... Details.... ??

coaltrain
03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Plastic bag art:

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+bag+art&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=K5k0U9S3EcHv2QWo5IHICA&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1075

Mesquite_Bean
03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
I saw on the news yesterday (maybe day before yesterday) where the Dallas, TX city council had a approved a $.05 fee to be charged for each paper or plastic bag. Apparently it was a very close vote too.

As a business owner I would think they would be appreciative of the ruling....anything to lower the overhead, right? But on the otherhand if a store wants to provide the service that's their right and shouldn't be forced to charge the customer. I think city council is overstepping. I realize it's to deter the use of "disposable" bags. But honestly I just don't see a huge reduction happening.

Oh, and yes, my grandma had several rugs crocheted from bread bags...my favorite was the one made from Roman Meal bags because of its vibrant orange color.

Selena
03-28-2014, 01:50 PM
We reuse any plastic bags. We'll opt out of a bag if a single or small item. Litter is an issue in some areas. Most large businesses in my area have a bag recycle bin.

I think Schnuck's is testing the waters for bag charge. Cashier pointed out their canvas bag and she spent time helping the bagger use the least amount of bags as possible (without smashing things).

If businesses start charging for bags, they'd best be more sturdy than they are today. I think some come with holes in them. And having to double bag every heavy item due to cheap bags is counter-productive to lowering overhead.

But I am disheartened by all the moves made by business re: what used to be a cost factored into being in business. Charging a fee to pay by check is what irks me the most. This hits those on a fixed income the hardest.

HuntingHawk
03-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Deposit on disposable diapers next ????

blackpowderbill
03-28-2014, 03:49 PM
I saw on the news yesterday (maybe day before yesterday) where the Dallas, TX city council had a approved a $.05 fee to be charged for each paper or plastic bag. Apparently it was a very close vote too.

As a business owner I would think they would be appreciative of the ruling....anything to lower the overhead, right? But on the otherhand if a store wants to provide the service that's their right and shouldn't be forced to charge the customer. I think city council is overstepping. I realize it's to deter the use of "disposable" bags. But honestly I just don't see a huge reduction happening.

Oh, and yes, my grandma had several rugs crocheted from bread bags...my favorite was the one made from Roman Meal bags because of its vibrant orange color.

I'm more inclined to think the fee will go to the government nad not to the stores.

Txanne
03-28-2014, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Selena;382837]We reuse any plastic bags. We'll opt out of a bag if a single or small item. Litter is an issue in some areas. Most large businesses in my area have a bag recycle bin.

I think Schnuck's is testing the waters for bag charge. Cashier pointed out their canvas bag and she spent time helping the bagger use the least amount of bags as possible (without smashing things).

If businesses start charging for bags, they'd best be more sturdy than they are today. I think some come with holes in them. And having to double bag every heavy item due to cheap bags is counter-productive to lowering overhead.

But I am disheartened by all the moves made by business re: what used to be a cost factored into being in business. Charging a fee to pay by check is what irks me the most. This hits those on a fixed income the hardest.[/QUOT

To me litter is a big problem.
They blow all over.
I had a neighbor that just that them fly all over--she burned trash outside.

Give folks an option.
When I visited in Wa.St. most of the times we carried shopping bags with us---and as I saw it so did most other folks.

I dont look at this as a liberal control thingie: I look at as a real way to cut down on these things hanging in trees:Cow munching on them,in our oceans,blowing down the roads/streets.

I have 4 shopping bags--I am going to start using them.
I always recycle my bags as trash can liners,etc.

I guess the change starts with us--its one of those things I am for.
And its brought on by our irresponsiblity---trash trash trash.

The stores could offer them if they choose--and the cost of doing business is rising.

Bearfootfarm
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
We have some net mesh bags we use instead of plastic

Harbinger
03-28-2014, 05:20 PM
We save our plastic grocery bags and take them back to the grocery store and put them in the store's recycle bin. Now, if I had been charged for each bag initially, what incentive would I have to return them back to the store for free? I'm certain that the price of the bags are factored into the prices I pay for the grocery items I buy. This sounds like another scam by government to extract more wealth from our pockets under the guise of... what.... protecting the environment?

Health issues have been raised about using the cloth re-usable grocery bags. Some research has shown that cloth bags can collect and then spread bacteria. Imagine having a bit of liquid leak from a package of meat like chicken or fish onto the cloth bag and it goes unnoticed.

Tim Horton
03-28-2014, 08:01 PM
I also reuse plastic bags.... Each room of the house has a waste basket the size that you can use a bag in... So I use a bunch for small garbage bags... About the only large (13 gallon) bags I use are one for the kitchen...

I also recycle bags to the local food pantry... They use a lot of them... And recycle some tot he bin at Walmart....

As I remember the bread bag rugs that Mom, Granny, and Aunt Darlene made were slick on the hardwood floor by the door... But I'm sure they collected a lot of the dirt us kids would have drug into the house....
====
Almost forgot.... My brush burning barrel in the back yard where I dispose of all manor of yard, woods waste... The steel barrel has no bottom, and sits up on a grate in my fire pit... So before I fire it off, I pack it good and tight... In the lower 1/3 of the barrel, I put a grease rag about the size of a wash cloth soaked with diesel... Tied up tight in a plastic bag in the barrel, it really helps the barrel burn well...

Sometimes the barrel sits quite a while packed full and covered before I get good conditions to burn it off...

Good luck

Txanne
03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
We save our plastic grocery bags and take them back to the grocery store and put them in the store's recycle bin. Now, if I had been charged for each bag initially, what incentive would I have to return them back to the store for free? I'm certain that the price of the bags are factored into the prices I pay for the grocery items I buy. This sounds like another scam by government to extract more wealth from our pockets under the guise of... what.... protecting the environment?

Health issues have been raised about using the cloth re-usable grocery bags. Some research has shown that cloth bags can collect and then spread bacteria. Imagine having a bit of liquid leak from a package of meat like chicken or fish onto the cloth bag and it goes unnoticed.

Not everything is a government take over.

Disinfectant.
Many are washable--mine are.
In fact I need to do that.

good reminder thanks.

EDIT: Came back to add: I think it was OzarkLady posted recycling dog food bags for shopping bags.
A neat pattern to make them--simple to sew.

DavidOH
03-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Wow! I remember when Meijer stores would PAY ME to reuse their bags!
Really! 5 cents every time I brought one of their PAPER bags back and used it.
I think I got a dollar out of one. :D

No talk around here of charging, but they encourage you to buy their reusable bags, and return the plastic ones for recycling.

Txanne
03-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Wow! I remember when Meijer stores would PAY ME to reuse their bags!
Really! 5 cents every time I brought one of their PAPER bags back and used it.
I think I got a dollar out of one. :D

No talk around here of charging, but they encourage you to buy their reusable bags, and return the plastic ones for recycling.

I did that as a kid---horse feed sacks---corn came in--we'd get a 5cts a piece.
Big ole burlap sacks--itchy as all get out.

Tim Horton
03-29-2014, 11:08 AM
"Recycled feed bags"....... I have a significant collection of 40 and 50lb bird seed and other feed bags.... Must be about about 20 or so I'd guess so far.....

Also have the instructions on how to convert them saved on my hard drive here.......somewhere....

Need someone with sewing skills to barter with on a project like this....
I can put on buttons, and lumpy patches on jeans.... Too complex of a project for my sewing skills...

(hint, hint, nudge, nudge, pm with barter offers)

Good luck

Txanne
03-29-2014, 11:15 AM
WYO
I looked for that instruction post and couldn't find it.
It was ideal for these solid dog food bags----I'd have to dig out my old straight sewing Singer--my computerized one doesnt like working that hard.

I am a hard nose Conservative--But we have to start thinking about all this plastic being fed to our Earth.

I read a year or so ago about a family building a cottage using them for insulation.
Now thats thinking outside the box.
We need to do that.

Harbinger
03-29-2014, 01:26 PM
"I am a hard nose Conservative--But we have to start thinking about all this plastic being fed to our Earth."

We seem to have a lot more immediate and pressing problems currently.

Txanne
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
"I am a hard nose Conservative--But we have to start thinking about all this plastic being fed to our Earth."

We seem to have a lot more immediate and pressing problems currently.

Of course we do. Good point.
This is one of these things I can do something about right now.
Just small steps i know and maynot seem important.
But at my age small steps work for me.

Then in 2016 I will along with other Patriots will make another difference.

KarenBC
03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
And they don't always tell you that they are doing to ding you 5 cents per bag - when they ask "do you want a bag, or how many bags do you want?" - the cashier just rings it in...if you don't read your till receipt oh well.

I was caught by surprise when Staples, the office supply store started doing this.

It isn't a gov't initiative here, though several provincial and local governments have made noises about bringing this in as a law or bylaw.

Sewbusy
03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
The state of PA is looking at a tax for the use of plastic bags soon. My thought is that they will tax the stores and the stores will raise prices (again). We use cloth bags but somehow I think everyone will end up paying in the long run.

Txanne
04-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Speaking of shopping bags.
I went out to the flea market this past weekend.
lady was selling shopping bags---1.50 each home made.
They were nice--some out of pretty fabric.

I thought about picking a few up bUT when I looked at how the handles were sewn--NOPE.
6-8 cans of whatever would have stripped the handles loose.

If I would have sewn them in at least 2 places if not 3-4 to make sure of handles lasting.
(Or toes from being squashed from falling cans.
Just a thought I wanted to share.

anna
04-03-2014, 02:39 AM
I reuse plastic bags or take them to a thrift shop where they use them for the merchandise they sell. I have quite a few cloth bags -- I fold them and store all inside of one bag and keep them in my car. I use them always at Aldis and when I remember at other stores. HyVee gives a credit of 4 for each cloth bag you bring with you.

There are patterns all over the Internet for making your own cloth bags or patterns by Simplicity or McCalls are available.

We purchased a number of bags when they first became available from various stores. Aldis and Fareway bags are good quality, Walmart and Walgreens are trash.

Blowing plastic bags are a huge environmental problem. I get sick and tired of seeing bags hung up in trees, in fences, hedges, etc. My neighbor is a hoarder so we have to clean up a lot of her blowing trash including bags. The fields around Walmart are a littered mess of blowing plastic bags. Animals get trapped in the bags and die. Bags clog drains. All in all going to reusable cloth bags is a good idea. Just like pop cans -- once there was a refund you stopped seeing many cans laying around. So maybe if we have to pay for the plastic bags we'll decide to avoid them. I know I'd do a better job of remembering to take my bags into the store if I knew plastic bags would cost me.

Txanne
04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I reuse plastic bags or take them to a thrift shop where they use them for the merchandise they sell. I have quite a few cloth bags -- I fold them and store all inside of one bag and keep them in my car. I use them always at Aldis and when I remember at other stores. HyVee gives a credit of 4 for each cloth bag you bring with you.

There are patterns all over the Internet for making your own cloth bags or patterns by Simplicity or McCalls are available.

We purchased a number of bags when they first became available from various stores. Aldis and Fareway bags are good quality, Walmart and Walgreens are trash.

Blowing plastic bags are a huge environmental problem. I get sick and tired of seeing bags hung up in trees, in fences, hedges, etc. My neighbor is a hoarder so we have to clean up a lot of her blowing trash including bags. The fields around Walmart are a littered mess of blowing plastic bags. Animals get trapped in the bags and die. Bags clog drains. All in all going to reusable cloth bags is a good idea. Just like pop cans -- once there was a refund you stopped seeing many cans laying around. So maybe if we have to pay for the plastic bags we'll decide to avoid them. I know I'd do a better job of remembering to take my bags into the store if I knew plastic bags would cost me.

I had a neighbor like that--real pain in the neck.
And strays get into her trash and scatter it even more.

City gave her a ticket--but we still had to pick up her plastic bags.

Colorado
09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
CA just passed the plastic bag law. Big stores like Walmart and Target first in July 15 and smaller places in 16. Fazing them out. Other big cities around have the bag law.

Kellrae
10-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I forget what store I was in last week, but I hadn't been there before. The cashier asked a customer "would you like a reusable bag for $1.50 or would you like to carry your purchases out?"
I had never heard of that before! I mean, I have been asked to purchase reuseable bags, but not been given a choice of them or nothing!
I guess it just surprised me.
Oh, wait, I do remember...it was a used book store in the mall. Hardly ever go to the mall but wanted to check out the new bookstore.

lraude
10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Here in Florida I seem to remember that the Governor (not sure which one) signed a law doing away with disposable bags to start some time in, I think, the near future. What bothers me is that paper bags where not an option.
Now I don't know about other places, but here in Florida pulp wood trees is a pretty darn Big industry. And paper bags ARE a renewable resource, plus they will compost down to help the soil in the environment. I even use them to help with mulching in the garden, when I have one.
I also work at Walmart, as you may remember, and agree that the recycleable bags they sell are not very sturdy. And they are not sized to fit into the current bag holders to make it a little easier to fill them. You'd at least think Walmart would have looked into that for helping the cashiers, but then again I am talking about Walmart.

lraude
10-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Also a friend of mine who works out of the country got a really nice shopping bag for me that keeps expanding with the more you put in. She even had the strap shortened as I am vertically changed on the short side. Current bags tend to drag when full and I am carrying them. This bag is really nice for shopping as I know when it is full to stop shopping.

coaltrain
10-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I guess we are kind of used to not using the plastic bags somewhat. We do most of our grocery shopping at Save-A-Lot and Aldi where you are already on your own when it comes to packing and hauling your groceries out of the store. Will just have to adapt that to other stores in the future I guess.

Colorado
10-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Sam's do not bag but pile in the cart for you to take out. Vitamin Cottage has some boxes piled you may use.

HawaiiDi
10-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Here in the islands they push the canvass, or bought store bag. They keep saying they are going to stop using plastic and paper will be a charged. They have not done it yet, but they talk of using plastic bags will become illegal....as they just cause massive problems at the dumps because they do not dissolve. Plus they are trashing the ocean and killing the fish. I see this will happen one of these days....since they been trying for the last few years. There are stores that do not use the plastic and if you do not bring your own then you are charged for a paper bag,...they are very pro active Eco green. I have a large collections of various store bags that I bought cheap.....TJ Max has this large one that is plastic mix and strong, that I use for Sams and Costco as both those stores do not handle any packing, sometimes you can get a box....but most often they are out.

Kellrae
10-11-2014, 12:54 AM
I have nothing against getting rid of plastic bags, even though I do reuse them. But the claim that they don't break down is whack. I hung some in an outbuilding and in my greenhouse with stuff in them. They did dryrot and break. Six months...a year...I don't remember how long it took, but I can only imagine out in the elements they would've broken down much sooner.
That said, Tx isn't a "clean" state. There's trash on the roadsides, much of it is those darn plastic bags. This time of year there's tons of deer corn bags, too. The last cupla years, I picked up the feed bags for a friend who wanted to make tote bags from them. They were selling for around $8 each at Tradesdays type events, I believe. Not bad profit for free trash!