PDA

View Full Version : Whole house water filtration ????

eddiebo
05-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Anyone have a whole house water filtration system that filters a rainwater catchment system or pond water, and make it suitable for all uses including drinking water? We are weighing our options but know we will not be using city water. Please tell us what system you use with pics if possible.

offtheradar
05-19-2014, 08:14 AM
I have a whole house filter and love it. You will be amazed at the stuff it filters out!! I have not put it on any rain barrel water. If you do then you would need a pump to develop enough pressure to push it through. I use mine on the well water. If you want potable water you would need to heat it after filtering.

eddiebo
05-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Any pics to share ?

Tim Horton
05-23-2014, 11:32 AM
My place came with a whole house filter on the well water....

It takes the 10" universal size DuPont filters that are available in several grades of filtration..... I use the one that gives "ultimate" sediment filtration... Any number of brands of filter systems take this size cartridge...

Living alone, and having enough iron to build a battle ship, and looks to be coal dust in my well water here on this rock pile.... I go through a filter in about a month... Give or take....

I buy a years or more supply of filters when the local home improvement store has there 11% rebate or other kind of sale... Score, swoop....

Good luck

recoilless_57mm
05-25-2014, 03:18 PM
I installed a whole house filter system about 10 years ago. I used off the shelf 10 inch filters like Wyobuckaroo did. I found that I had too much pressure drop in my line after installing the filter. To solve this I installed another filter in parallel with the first one. I now have adequate pressure in the house. I also wanted to have filtered drinking water to keep the heavy metals and pesticides out of the water as much as possible. I put in a separate faucet and filter system for this in our kitchen down stream of the whole house filter. If you are going to filter rain water or other non-potable water I suggest as Wyobuckaroo does, boil it.

Good luck, recoilless