PDA

View Full Version : Another retail store's card reader hacked

coaltrain
10-10-2014, 10:59 PM
I usually don't pay much attention to all this stuff. But, I just happened to watch the news on TV this evening - something I rarely do - and saw where now Dairy Queen has been added to the list of hacked retailers. I've seen on an internet news site over the past few months that Target, Home Depot, and others have suffered from this. All of these hacks have been from malicious software embedded in their credit card reader software.

Since I have direct deposit and my bank is 200 miles away, we've always used our debit/credit card for grocery purchases etc. I looked at the list of Dairy Queens that were affected. Back at the beginning of September I had a doctor appointment at a city 95 miles away and we had lunch at a Dairy Queen. Sure enough the one we ate at was affected, but they said the hack was stopped on August 30. We were there on September 3 - too close for comfort.

I guess it's time to start taking cash out of an ATM and use that for our shopping from now on. I would think that the bank's ATM would be safe - or maybe not........

cuppajoe
10-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Ya know....we moved here 3 years back. And at that point I paid for 90% of everything cash. The big hassle is trying to fill the tank with gas cause you have to prepay. How the hell am I to know how much gas it will take to filler up ??? What am I the Amazing Kreskin? If I knew that I would play the lottery every week and win.

Oh I guess I could just put in $20-30 but then it aint full. So that one has to be done on a card. We try to use checks and cash only. But they make it harder and harder to do that, but I stick to my guns and In God I Trust And Pay With Cash.............

MissouriFree
10-11-2014, 12:14 AM
I usually don't pay much attention to all this stuff. But, I just happened to watch the news on TV this evening - something I rarely do - and saw where now Dairy Queen has been added to the list of hacked retailers. I've seen on an internet news site over the past few months that Target, Home Depot, and others have suffered from this. All of these hacks have been from malicious software embedded in their credit card reader software.

Since I have direct deposit and my bank is 200 miles away, we've always used our debit/credit card for grocery purchases etc. I looked at the list of Dairy Queens that were affected. Back at the beginning of September I had a doctor appointment at a city 95 miles away and we had lunch at a Dairy Queen. Sure enough the one we ate at was affected, but they said the hack was stopped on August 30. We were there on September 3 - too close for comfort.

I guess it's time to start taking cash out of an ATM and use that for our shopping from now on. I would think that the bank's ATM would be safe - or maybe not........

I agree I don't pay much attention to these stories.
We use cards and am carefully about our bills. Keep a book of all charges and at end if month check them off to make due all is ok then pay off each card via check. Only exception is Aldi's .
Why be stubborn ?
Like you our money comes via direct deposit

coaltrain
10-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Don't have that problem with gas. The station I use actually has an attendant who pumps your gas for you then takes your money.

coaltrain
10-11-2014, 12:20 AM
I agree I don't pay much attention to these stories.
We use cards and am carefully about our bills. Keep a book of all charges and at end if month check them off to make due all is ok then pay off each card via check. Only exception is Aldi's .
Why be stubborn ?
Like you our money comes via direct deposit

My credit union has a nice setup - I have it set that I get an email alert when any transaction is done with either the debit or credit card. And I've tested it out - the emails come within 1/2 hour. At least with that I can stop any fraudulent activity pretty quickly.

From what I understand using credit is a lot safer than debit. We have a card that can be used for either - just have to choose credit for each transaction. Of course as you say the only exception we've found so far is Aldi which is debit only.

hmsteader71
10-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Yes. My husband's card was compromised at a Dairy Queen near where we go to church. He had to get a whole new card.

ScrubbieLady
10-13-2014, 12:40 PM
From what I understand using credit is a lot safer than debit. We have a card that can be used for either - just have to choose credit for each transaction. Of course as you say the only exception we've found so far is Aldi which is debit only.

My understanding is that credit is safer because 1) the credit card company is stuck for fraudulent charges under a certain amount; and 2) debit gives them access to everything in the account.

When I get gas, I use a Wal-Mart shopping card that I just filled inside the store for the 3 or 10 cent discount on gas. If I use a debit card, I pay at the cashier. I know about how much my van takes. If I pay cash, I don't mind going back in and getting my change.

OzarksLady
10-16-2014, 05:31 AM
A few weeks ago when we had company from Denmark he went into one of the larger banks in New Orleans to get some cash. Within 25 minutes someone had used his cc number twice to buy something online.

wildturnip
10-16-2014, 07:09 PM
A few weeks ago when we had company from Denmark he went into one of the larger banks in New Orleans to get some cash. Within 25 minutes someone had used his cc number twice to buy something online.

Wow! Some friends of ours took a trip to Belize where they had been medical missionaries years ago. They stopped somewhere in Mexico and after they got home the CC company called them they thought their card # had been stolen. Some one had bought a motorcycle and lots of booze. The CC company rep told them that the company monitors purchases and flags any that seem "out of character".

Tim Horton
10-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I too read the Dairy Queen thing.... Nothing seems sacred anymore...

I DO NOT use an ATM card... As any purchase with one of those is immediate payment out of your account... That is what they were invented for... But a theft charge against that kind of card is also gone immediately... And it seems most times not recoverable.... Not to say a regular credit card can't be abused.... But there seems more opportunity to catch an abuse, and your not responsible for fraud...

Besides.... I get free stuff from the outdoor sports store with my credit card points.... :D

Keep safe...