PDA

View Full Version : Three Sisters planting

hissyfit
04-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Has anyone done the three sisters planting? Any success? I'm concerned the pole beans would choke the corn, but considering the Indians did it, I guess it isn't a problem?

rivahmom
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I have done this before. The beans do not choke the corn but they are a pain to get to. I can say that we had no problems with pest stealing the corn. Supposily, the squash deters the coons and the beans fertilize the soil for the corn. I planted four close rows of corn with the bean in a row surrounding it. Then I planted summer squash in the next row, surrounding the beans. It was an ovlong shape instead of a circle.

hissyfit
04-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanx, rivahmom. I'm going to give it a try. We don't have a coon prob but maybe it will deter some weeds. Did you use vining or bush squash?

rivahmom
04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I used yellow crookneck squash. I believe it was vining. If I ever plant like that again, I may choose a bush variety so I can reach the beans better.

MHinFox
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Bush variety does work much better. Also according to your area can have some impact. I use it here in Ozarks of south. LOL put corn in early and give good head start.I have had my beans out run it if I dont give a good head start. Having corn taller and ahead of beans makes havest of beans much easier as well. That is for Ark ozark enviroment.