PDA

View Full Version : Eggplant planting distance?

JakeLeg
04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Spending the last couple of weeks prior to indoor pre-planting on certain things, and I'll be doing eggplant for the first time this year. While most of my seed packets (from www.heirloomseeds.com which is an awesome catalog) have the planting distance on the packet, the eggplant doesn't. I diagram everything prior to planting or transplanting so that i can maximize crop rotations, companion plants, sun locations, etc. Any suggestions on the eggplant? 18"? 24"?...

zebraman
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey Guys; This spacing assumes that you have "Double-Dug" the beds(French Intensive) and have inriched them by the Bio-Dynamic principles.-

JakeLeg
04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks so much. unfortunately, the eggplants are probably going in or near a new area of the garden that hasn't had the benefit of several years of heavy composting, animal manure, or green manure. taking this into account, i'll probably spread them out a bit to maybe 24 inches or so and give that a shot...

don't have any potatoes in this year, however, i do have the opportunity to place some legumes in this new area to build up the soil, so i will companion the eggplant with with a variety of beans.

thanks again!