PDA

View Full Version : Canning Hot Dogs

Mrs._B
03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I saw a writeup on the web by a woman who cans hot dogs. She makes a light BBQ sauce, cuts up her hot dogs in the sauce, boils it a few minutes, fills her qt. jars, and pressure cans at 10 lbs. (I'm guessing for 90 minutes).

Anyone try canning hot dogs before? This way or any way? Just wondering. Sometimes there are great deals on dogs at the store.

Mrs. B.
Susan

Penny_Plinker
03-17-2008, 02:43 AM
I know a lady who does something like that. She uses tomato sauce and hot peppers and calls them "hot weenies." She gave me a jar; they looked good, but i was afraid to eat them because she doesn't have a pressure canner.

Canning hotdogs does sound interesting though. I hope someone else knows if it's safe if they are pressure canned.

Penny

theresehirko
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm going to try to can hot dogs and I'll report back. I'm going to use the Hebrew National all beef kosher hot dogs. What's the worst thing that could happen? They'll turn to mush and I'll have to throw the whole batch away.

blackpowderbill
04-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I had about 50 pounds of brats,kelbasi and other assorted meats one year. to keep them from freezer burn i canned all of them. some of the jars I added hot peppers to which spiced them up real nice.

Pickled everyone of them-

blackpowderbill
04-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm going to try to can hot dogs and I'll report back. *I'm going to use the Hebrew National all beef kosher hot dogs. *What's the worst thing that could happen? *They'll turn to mush and I'll have to throw the whole batch away. *

pack your jars real tight

theresehirko
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I plan on packing them real tight and then putting beef broth into the jars. Bob and the kids eat them and I thought it would be a good idea to experiment now with hurricane season on the horizon. I am currently without power due to a storm so it's canned soup for meals today. I'll report back. I plan on doing this Sunday since I can't cook on the Sabbath.

theresehirko
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
The hot dogs came out great! I used pint jars since we would have more hot dogs in a quart jar that we could eat in one sitting. I cut the hot dogs in half (Hebrew National beef regular size-not the huge pounder size) and heated them up in beef broth. Then I packed the jars nice and tight and topped off with broth. I pressure canned for 75 minutes. The only thing that I did notice was that the "skin" on the hot dogs blistered in some spots, but that was all.

lostinthewoods
04-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I tried this today too. I canned up about 6 pounds total. It came out to exactly 3 quarts. I added about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce in each then filled the rest of the jar with water and shook it but before going into the canner. I added about a table spoon of crushed red pepper to one jar in the hopes of spicing things up a bit. I'll let them sit for about a month and let you all know how they turned out.

lost

AuntJenny
04-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I need to do some of these..my youngest son LOVES hot dogs and that would be a happy addition to our food storage for him...and an easy meal with some saurkraut, bisquits and fruit. Thanks guys!!

Mrs._B
04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Yum. Thanks ladies. I like that idea of smaller pints. I"ll need to try this.
Susan

debidoodle
07-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I just saw this and am wondering if anyone here has ever tried this with the addition of beans? Kinda a homemade/canned Beanie weenie?

fancy1
07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd like to know too! There are some in the freezer taking up space and have been in there a while. Hadn't thought about canning them.
Anyone have experience canning them? Results??

cartershan
07-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Last winter I really wanted to try canning red beans with polish sausage. (like red beans and rice, but without the rice). I chickened out. I canned the base for it, but never put in the polish sausage. I'm going to get brave one day and try it. Just have not had time recently.
I just know it would be wonderful. Canning pork products freaks me out,but I AM GOING TO GET OVER IT!!!
Shannon

Mom5farmboys
07-06-2010, 12:07 PM
This post has got me thinking and when my tomatoes are ripe I am going to make tomato sauce again, but this year I am going to put some chili powder in and maybe some green peppers and onions, then slice hot dogs up in 1" chunks and can them in quart jars.

I have also been toying with the thought of maybe soaking and cooking up some dried beans and adding those to some of the jars also.

debidoodle
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm going to give it a shot. I've got at least 8 packs of hot dogs in the freezer.

Figure a tomato base, like you said, Mom5, then add some soaked navy beans and cut up the dogs and throw them in.

I'm going to go with 10 pounds for 90 minutes, do you think that's enough or should I go for 15 pounds?

Mom5farmboys
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM
No I think 10 lbs for 90 minutes will be fine, its what I do all my meat at. Be sure to let us know how it turns out, I'm thinking it would be a great thing to do when they go on sale.

debidoodle
07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm off to give it a go! Crossing my fingers....

Anon001
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Whether you use 10 pounds or 15 pounds of pressure is determined by your altitude.

Also, I've never soaked beans before canning.

Paul

debidoodle
07-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Well, they look good. Going to open one up for lunch today and see how they taste.

Mom5farmboys
07-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Well, they look good. Going to open one up for lunch today and see how they taste.

I'm eager to know how they taste, if they're tasty could you share your recipe? Thanks!!

tufhelp
07-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm going to try to can hot dogs and I'll report back. I'm going to use the Hebrew National all beef kosher hot dogs. What's the worst thing that could happen? They'll turn to mush and I'll have to throw the whole batch away.

Nooooooo... Try it, who knows what hot dog soup would be like? Might have a weener on your hands!

debidoodle
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Not to bad at all! The boys really liked them.
What I did was used a basic baked bean recipe, from the BBB. Made it just a touch soupier and sliced the dogs and stirred them in. That's it and they taste pretty dad gum good.
Going to make up some more as soon as dogs go on sale again.