PDA

View Full Version : gatorade

bee_pipes
09-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm a cheap bastard, and it just pains me to pay for gatorade. Not much on soft drinks - prefer fruit juice, but that can be too thick for drinking while working. Sweet tea is good, but takes a little more forethought and is perishable. Water's okay, but I'd like to get a few carbs and electrolytes when working in the heat.

I've been fiddling with this recipe all summer and think this is where I want it (for me):

cup lemon juice
cup sugar
1 tsp salt (sodium chloride)
1 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
Water to 1 gallon

I like it a bit on the weak/watery side, and cold. We save old milk jugs, so it's easy to keep one with a batch in the refrigerator.

If you're looking for something other than soft drinks and that won't make you more thirsty, give it a shot. The salt substitute does change the flavor. Must be potassium in watermelon and cucumber - reminds me of that.

Regards,
Pat

Shamrock1121
09-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Have you ever considered the health-promoting beverages that contain some kind of lacto-fermented products, such as "Whey Lemonade"? There are more benefits than sugar-laden "sports drinks".

Natural lactic-acid fermented drinks contain numerous valuable minerals in ionized form and a small amount of sugar, along with lactic acid and beneficial bactobacilli, all of which promote good health in many ways, while at the same time cutting the sensation of thirst. These traditional beverages have diluted sugars and naturally-occuring electrolytes of minerals (mineral ions) and are actually absorbed faster and retained longer than plain water.

I use the whey from homemade kefir and add water, lemon juice (or other 100% fruit juice), pinch of sea salt and some agave nectar (a low-glycemic, natural, honey-like sweetener). I've never had anything quench thirst as well....

You'll find these kind of traditional drinks used by many people all over the world. Just adding liquid whey (drained from the curd a fermented dairy product like kefir or yogurt) and a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt (which contains a natural balance of over 80 minerals - www.celtic-seasalt.com to watered-down 100% fruit juices will be far superior to "sports drinks".

-Karen

cordwoodguy
02-14-2008, 07:15 PM
PAT......GATORADE I BELIEVE IS A MODERN VERSION OF THE OLD TIME HAYMAKING SWITCHEL. ITS DESIGNED SO YOU CAN QUENCH YOUR THIRST WITHOUT GETTING SICK.IF YOU DRINK TOO MUCH WATER YOU CAN GET SICK..APPARENTLY YOU CAN DRINK MORE OF THE SWITCHEL WITHOUT GETTING SICK.APPAERNTLY IT REPLENISHES ELECTROLITES?????

THIUS IS A LOCAL SWITRCHEL DRINK SAID TO BE 200 YEARS OLD.

1/2 CUP CIDER VINEGAR
1/4 CUP MOLASSES
1/2 CUP HONEY / SUGAR
11/2 TSP GINGER
...ENOUGH WATER TO MAKE 2 QTS.

ALSO ANOTHER SWITCHEL DRINK

1 GALLON WATER
1 CUP HONEY
1/2-1 TSP SALT
1 CUP CIDER VINEGAR

CORDWOODGUY

annabella1
02-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Cordwood, If you click on the BB tag with the A and the up and down arrows and change the number to a larger number than 2 you can get bigger letters without having to use all caps. Just type between the two thingys in parenthesis that say size. Also if you have windows and go to accessories there is a magnifying lens utility that will help you read what is already written.

annabella1
02-14-2008, 10:33 PM
By the way switchel is one of my favorite drinks.

CHICKENHEAD
05-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Funny you bring up Gatorade, I work for the biggest Gatorade plant in America. I get so sick of drinking it, but when im outside working and get thirsty its the best tasting stuff there is.

aprilconnett
05-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I am disappointed in Gatorade. It contains high fructose corn syrup, so Hubby is allergic.

Grizzy
10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
With Flu Season coming... This thread might have it's merit... Bump!

Be Strong
~Grizzy~

*mitzy*
10-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Since that colonoscopy I had in the spring where it was recommended that I mix that @#$%^ with Gatorade, I don't even like to look at a picture of it. This is making my stomach hurt.:eek:

kawalekm
10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Thought I'd mention the importance of writing these recipes down in case there's an outbreak of disease. In a SHTF situation, where sanitation disappears, there's the threat of out-break of disentary or even cholera. People don't die from the infection per se. They die from the loss of water and electrolytes they loose with severe diarrhea. Drinks like this can save a persons life.