PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch to 6 inch stovepipe

humbug
09-16-2008, 12:57 AM
I am replacing the wood stove in my house. I found an adapter to adapt the 8 inch wood stove pipe to my 6 inch chimney pipe. I however found many adapters. Is it better to choke down the pipe at the wood stove itself or to choke it down at the chimney? Any thoughts on this?

johnjmw
09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Ohh Wow, If the stove has an 8inch pipe coming out of it, I'd worry about loosing the draft and causing carbon monoxide to back into the house caused by the reduced/restricted air flow. I know you can always step up the pipe a bit but constricting it by going with a smaller pipe? I've been told that is an problem waiting to happen.
just my 2cents
John

12vman
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did the same thing on mine last winter. I installed the reducer right at the wood burner. As long as you have enough pipe/chimney above your roof to make a good draw, I believe that you'll be OK..

Clair_Schwan
09-18-2008, 12:51 AM
I would choke down your wood stove at the stove, just like any other adapter you might install on the exhaust.

I've done much the same with a 12 cubic foot stove of mine. I narrowed the exhaust from 8 inches to 6 inches, and I have had no problems. The stovepipe rises about 12 feet, so drawing out the stove isn't a problem at all.

My 8 to 6 inch modification allows plenty of air to enter the stove. I can still get it orange hot if I open up all the vents and let it rip.

Nevertheless, keep a close eye on it for the first few fires since you never know where Murphy might be lurking. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry.

I test all my stove modifications outdoors so I know they work well before I reinstall. Since your modification is just necking it down, not installing modified air intake, you'll probably not need to run a full scale test outside.

humbug
09-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was hoping I could choke it down at the stove...so I wouldn't have to buy additional stovepipe. I am going to get the adapter ordered today and I will be back in business.. :)