PDA

View Full Version : Water Softners & Filters

usma84dab
02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Finishing the construction of a house - need to know if the clamp on magnetic water softners really work, or are they snake oil and we need to do the salt softner routine

Close to this topic, what is the best whole house water filtration system to get?

usma84dab
04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
AMAZING - nearly 2 months after posting and not a single response - guess I don't need to bother hanging out on this board anymore

bee_pipes
04-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Um, sorry bud. Don't know much about water softeners. Don't know anybody that does. This is more about water generated power - hydro. Maybe more experience/opinions in the construction and hands-on repair threads. Just a thought.

Regards,
Pat

ChoochCharlie
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Bunk. Pure bunk.

MadTripper
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM
We have a softener, salt pellet type, and a UV light to purify. I wouldn't have done anything however my Uncle has a business installing these type of devices so my cost was very low. I have to admit, we really love the softener. Its like everyone says, the soap really works well once you get the minerals removed. In my area, we have fairly hard water.

Catalpa
10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't put anything in until you get the water tested - and not by the softener salesman, but by a local certified lab or your health department. Once you have the results, you can make an intelligent choice for treatment.

The little clamp on magnetic things are just bunk. No good.

If you have objectionably hard water that causes staining of the fixtures and soap scum, and plan old water softener is your best bet.

If you are concerned more about taste and odor, an activated charcoal filter is a good choice.

If you have arsenic, you'll need a reverse osmosis unit. They can be expensive for a whole house unit, but not so bad for the small one that fits under the kitchen sink, and treats just the drinking and cooking water.

A word of caution - any time you install some sort of treatment option, or change a filter, you are breaking into the plumbing system, and possibly introducing bacteria. When adding salt to the softener, wash off the outside of the bag first, then handle it carefully and always replace the lid immediately. When changing filters, wash your hands, and then wash the filter and housing in bleach water before re-assembling. Test the water once or twice a year to make sure no bacteria is present.

I've seen charcoal filters and RO cartridges become a breeding ground for bacteria - pretty nasty.

Rancher
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I have lived on two ranches for 65 years and installed a well on each, early in time. (The first one in 1958 and the second in 1990.)

For each, when the well was drilled and plumbing installed, I put an in-line filter on the line between the well and the pressure tank. The filter is commonly found at Sears, Home Depot, etc., and is clear so that you can easily see when it is time to change cartridges.
A number of cartridges are available, including fine, medium, coarse, charcoal, and other types for each purpose depending on your needs and quality of water.

I have never had a problem and we are happy with the system.

Ocala
10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I have lived on two ranches for 65 years and installed a well on each, early in time. (The first one in 1958 and the second in 1990.)

For each, when the well was drilled and plumbing installed, I put an in-line filter on the line between the well and the pressure tank. The filter is commonly found at Sears, Home Depot, etc., and is clear so that you can easily see when it is time to change cartridges.
A number of cartridges are available, including fine, medium, coarse, charcoal, and other types for each purpose depending on your needs and quality of water.

I have never had a problem and we are happy with the system.

I have alot of iron in my water "Rancher"
you think this would help my water also??

airmojo
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a Kinetico water softener and filter for my well water. It was installed in 1990 and never had any problems... works great, no electricity, just add salt, and change the filter regularly.

http://www.kinetico.com/