PDA

View Full Version : wood smoke running a generator

sissy
11-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Can someone go in to detail on wood smoke running a generator. sethwyo made a comment in another post earlier. My DH found it very interesting. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE & HOW TO MAKE IT WORK. Done a google search, not enough detail to learn how to do it. Any info would be great. Thank you in advance.
Sissy

MooseToo
11-25-2008, 01:41 AM
do your search on "wood gasification" -

otterbob
11-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Yes it can be done !

Not easy and not cheap and you will need a good understanding of mechanics.
Some will tell you all you need to do is put it through a hose to the intake, it is much more then this, Because the engine has to carry a load, adjustments to the fuel quality and air mix will need to be made with each fire do to moisture content, density of the fuel, and other factors.

Hope you are able to build and operate your own "wood gas generator"

Good Luck

Otter Bob

PS: Here is link that has the books you are looking for.
http://lindsaybks.com/

Global_Gal
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
do your search on "wood gasification" -

Gasification? That sounds like a Bush-ism. LOL

johnjmw
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Sissy,
Otter is right that it is more than running a hose to a motor. But the other side is true I think. It is a very doable technology for a handy person. There is a ton of online and book form of references to check out. Youtube also has a bunch of videos on people doing just this sort of thing. I've watch a bunch of them lately thinking that if the SHTF really happens this could be a good source for occasional power for generating electricity if oil/gas/diesel is in short supply. Assuming you haveall the parts on hand to build one when you need it. Best part of it is, it is self supporting.
You start by burning wood to heat some other wood to create the gas. The wood you heat up turns into charcoal. Then you take the charcoal, put it in the burner to heat up the next batch of wood. I've never seen anything showing efficiency ratings yet this technology has been around for a long time. Cars have been run on it in other countries (and I thought here in the US also) in fact Mother Earth News, when they were a good Magazine, built one that ran a truck that was able to run on the highway.
John

Bones
11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I have one of the books from http://lindsaybks.com/ that has a pretty detailed description of running a small engine off of wood.
As well one of my Farm Show newspapers(magazine) had a guy in Alabama that has a couple late model trucks running off of wood. These do not require converting anything into charcoal. You load small chunks of wood into the burner light it on fire and then close it down. The smoke goes through a filter into the where it runs the truck. His was duel (2) gas pedals so if he needed more power on hills or something he could mash down on the gas pedal vice the wood gas pedal.
I have the article from the old MEN electronically if you are interested.

Archangel
11-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Here is what I have
Gengas http://web.telia.com u36403194/arkiv/gengas/gengas/htm
Gengassidan http://www.gengas.nubyggbes/index.shtml

The break is an (NOT) sign
It was printed for FEMA

I hope it helps, Mike

sissy
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for all the info.
Iím *gathering it for my DH (a whole lot on his plate right now).
* Moose Too: Thanks good info
Otter Bob: Thanks Great link for the books may have to have more than one. They look to have great info, going to check the book store to see what they have.
* Johnjmw : the goal is to have the knowledge and knowhow (built) *before *SHTF. We heat with wood here & have had to use *our generator when power goes out. DH also wants to build & use outside wood stove for heat, hot water, dryer at home.
* Bones: Do you happen to know the name of the book that has the info in it I would like to get it at the bookstore soon.
* Archangle: Thanks, Links not in English but I typed in names & found great info
Thanks again everyone for all the info.
Sissy

Archangel
11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Try again there is a translated section
Michael

crafty2002
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
sissy, unless your husband is truely good at mechanical things and science type projects, and I mean has an exceptional brain for something like this, he would do better looking into some other type of fuel such as diesel from seeds or alcohol from grain.
Don't get me wrong, he may very well be able to do it, but it is a complex situation.
I am pretty good at building whatever I want to but this is way over my head, where as other fuels aren't.
I have got bit by that bug and wasted my time when I could have learned something else. Instead I learned I had wasted my time trying to learn it. I have a book I will give him if I haven't thrown it away, if you want it.
Food for thought.
Dennis

MooseToo
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
sissy, unless your husband is truely good at mechanical things and science type projects, and I mean has an exceptional brain for something like this, he would do better looking into some other type of fuel such as diesel from seeds or alcohol from grain.
Don't get me wrong, he may very well be able to do it, but it is a complex situation.
I am pretty good at building whatever I want to but this is way over my head, where as other fuels aren't.
I have got bit by that bug and wasted my time when I could have learned something else. Instead I learned I had wasted my time trying to learn it. I have a book I will give him if I haven't thrown it away, if you want it.
Food for thought.
Dennis *

i'd have to agree - the process doesn't seem to be something to undertake for the sake of economy - it does seem a technique of last resort -
but - trying something new IS the way progress is realized -

sissy
11-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks Crafty2002 & Moose too for the info.
Crafty the book would be great if you can find it. I tried to find one at the bookstore yesterday. (nothing) *I would be glad to pay you for the book & shipping. You could mail it to our business. At least with a book he could see if it was worth his time right now. May be better to do something else for now. (So much to do on our other place. to get it livable.) Who knows he may be able to do it. Iíve only seen one time when he didnít even attempt to fix something. It was my 35mm slr camera, the shutter was getting stuck. He was going to fix it for me. Took it apart then looked at the million parts laying there & said I donít think so. LOL * It was so funny.
Sissy

crafty2002
11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
That sounds like me sissy. Very seldom do I tear in to something that I don't get fixed but I do once in a while. A lot of times I take something apart and can't find out what was wrong only to put it back together again and it work, LOL.
I take it that is Greenboro, N.C. since you said you have a plave in Va.
I can almost throw a rock into N.C. from the back porch. What part of Va. is your place at???
It is nice to hear from neighbors this close on a site like this one.
I will go through my boohs and check to see if I still have that one.
If I can find it maybe if by chance you come up 29 N to get to your place you can stop by and pick it up on your way one day. I only live about 300 yards from 29 coming into Danville.
He is welcome to it for free if I still have it, but again, Unless he has plenty of free time to tinker around and is a lot smarter than I am, (which he very well may be) he would be far better off spending his time trying to leard something else.
Steph just said she hadn't seen it but that doesn't mean a lot. Half the time she don't see me, LOL.
Something tells me ya'll go out 220 when you come to Va. instead of 29. Am I right??? Hope not.
I will PM you as soon as I get a chance to look for it good. I still have books in boxes, LOL.
Dennis