BHM Forum

BHM Forum (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/index.php)
-   Books/Poetry/Member Fiction (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   what are your reading now ........?? (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=13294)

nhlivefreeordie 09-07-2009 02:02 AM

Just finished "The 5000 Year Leap " and Common Sense by Glenn Beck, and that has inspired me to go back and read the Federalist Papers.

bookwormom 09-07-2009 11:06 PM

went to the library saturday and came home with four magazines, 'the Hobbyfarm" or something like that. I guess I liked the picture on the front. Just finished one by Gwen Bristow. I like her stories about the time this Nation was founded. My favorite by her is Celia Garth. Before that I read one by Pearl S. Buck.

MrGreenJeans 09-20-2009 11:31 PM

I have not been to the libiary in a while. What little time i have is not much. I need to get off of it and check out what they have now. Use to read five or six a week still read every mag, or book i can get the time to. Novel's 5 or 6 if i can get 2 or 3 a week this winter i,ll be happy.

Cattails 09-21-2009 05:22 PM

I'm re-reading my Wheel of Time series...again. It's just a fun read to get lost in.

Pokeberry Mary 09-24-2009 10:49 AM

Pearl S Buck

I'm reading some of Pearl S Bucks old books right now--as well as a korean cookbook, a pickling book and thomas paine.

I can't read one book at a time.. dunno why.:meeting:

nhlivefreeordie 10-07-2009 11:11 AM

Just picked up Glenn Becks " Arguing with Idiots " great read, lots of facts to refute those of the left. It is also comical, you laugh and learn at the same time.

zbery1 10-11-2009 12:56 AM

"Patriots" by James Wesely Rawles

I just started this book last night and am in chapter 7, I grew up in Potlatch Idaho not far from where the characters have set up their retreat. I moved back to that part of the country when I got out of the military a few years back but didn't stay long as I found it had become to heavily populated for me. I suppose coming from Chicago it would seem like a good place to make a stand but in mho it has become way to filled with city folk trying to get away from it all and it is no longer the retreat that it was. It seems they couldn't help but bring their city ways along with them. The "out in the sticks" end of the road farm where I grew up, now has several 3 and 4 floor homes on it and is beginning to look like like a high end suburb. I am enjoying the book so far though. So far more as a work of fiction than something to learn from... but I'm having trouble putting it down for long.

Teg 10-30-2009 11:26 PM

Just started "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown, not really grabbing me yet but it has some promise.

MissouriFree 10-31-2009 07:48 AM

Zbery1
I really enjoyed Patriots... the "collapse" that started it all was as scarily realistic and possible as the ended will be uplifting to you.. great book.

TEG
Lost symbol and the new Flynn book" Pursuit of Honor" are both waiting t the library for me to lick up . Both in CD forum. I have an hour drive to work every day. I usually listen to fiction on the drive and read the non fiction stuff at home.. Am also waiting for the new Stephen Hunter book" I,Sniper" the latest Bob Lee Swagger story.

zbery1 10-31-2009 01:12 PM

MissouriFree

I finished "Patriots" a couple days ago, you're right it is a great book, very realistic. I don't think I will do the type of prepping they did, I don't have that kind of money. But I sure enjoyed the book!
Now I've started a Book by William Johnstone called "Jackknife". It is about an attack on America by a terrorist sleeper cell. So far it has kept my interest.

Teg 10-31-2009 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=MissouriFree;178338]Zbery1
TEG
Lost symbol and the new Flynn book" Pursuit of Honor" are both waiting t the library for me to lick up . Both in CD forum. I have an hour drive to work every day. I usually listen to fiction on the drive and read the non fiction stuff at home.. Am also waiting for the new Stephen Hunter book" I,Sniper" the latest Bob Lee Swagger story.[/QUOTE]

I might have to pick up some Vince Flynn and Stephen Hunter books next turn as well, I just finished up all of David Gibbins books and a bunch of Paul Christopher books that I had in the queue before Lost Symbol so I will have a gap unless I decide to push the biography of Frederick the Great that I picked up in the discount bin to the top of the list. :)

Catalpa 11-04-2009 11:04 PM

Just picked up The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte at the library. So far it holds up to the promise of the blurb on the back, it's hard to put down. What's even better is that when I picked it out, I noticed it was just the first one in a series, so I have more to look forward to!

Teg 11-04-2009 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=Catalpa;179349]Just picked up The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte at the library. So far it holds up to the promise of the blurb on the back, it's hard to put down. What's even better is that when I picked it out, I noticed it was just the first one in a series, so I have more to look forward to![/QUOTE]

Always nice when you find a good series. :)

willgate 11-11-2009 01:00 AM

American Revolution by Dr. Ron Paul. Outstanding book by a critical thinker.

Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Every American should read this book.

cinok 11-11-2009 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=willgate;180703]
Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Every American should read this book.[/QUOTE]

+1 one lone survivor. I am not a big reader of novels (short atttention span) unless something grabs me good. Once I started I couldn't put it down.

Dawgus 11-13-2009 09:14 AM

"Cemetaries of Northeast Ohio" Some of the history and stories of people are just amazing. Presidents, Revolutionary War veterans, CMH recipients...incredible stuff. We've started visiting some old local cemetaries for the same reasons. The artwork and craftsmanship of the stones can be just as amazing as the stories of the people.

one4straw 11-13-2009 09:41 PM

I'm about half way through Anna Karenina
and also reading Volume 1 of Trans-Himalaya Discoveries in Tibet by Sven Hedin

Catalpa 11-21-2009 10:54 PM

Dawg you ought to take up geocaching. I've been to some incredibly interesting, tiny little forgotten cemeteries all over Michigan just by chasing geocaches. Sometimes the cache page will even give a history of the site. Good stuff.

Jared 11-22-2009 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=TNDadx4;165760]One Second After... on Chapter 3 as of last night.[/QUOTE]

One of the best books I've read in a long time. That was a real eye opening page turner. Scary, too.
Jared

Jared 11-22-2009 12:25 PM

I just finished Every Knee Shall Bow, about Ruby Ridge and the fiasco that happened there between the gov't and Randy Weaver, et al. It was a good book, I thought. I've considered reading Lone Survivor next, but my To Read list is so long already, I should probably get started on that instead of something new.
Jared