BHM Forum

BHM Forum (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/index.php)
-   Books/Poetry/Member Fiction (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   what are your reading now ........?? (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=13294)

MissouriFree 11-28-2012 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=grumble;335213]If you ever lived in Atlanta or Charleston, you might not think much of the guy. He's lucky the War Of Yankee Aggression didn't end differently.[/QUOTE]

he said this to the mayor of atlanta:
[quote] sir
You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war [...] I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success. But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for anything. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter
[/quote]

in war your view depends on whci side you are on. how many lifes were safe by hastening the end to this dreadfull conflict. wasnt that why we dropped the bomb on Japan ..to safe lives?

[url]http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/grimsley1/myth/myth.htm[/url]

grumble 11-28-2012 06:35 PM

And there are many in Japan who still hate us because their grandpappies did.

You've heard much, I'm sure, about the POW camps in the Civil war. North and South were equally as bad in treatment of their prisoners, but after the war, only the CO of Andersonville was hanged for it.

To the victor go the spoils. Wonder if Sherman's quote made anybody in the destruction zone feel better?

wooddustmaker 11-29-2012 12:42 AM

The killing floor, by Lee Child. Finally found a copy. Bummer that I had to pay full price, as I usually buy my books in thrift stores for less.

Teg 11-29-2012 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=MissouriFree;335224]he said this to the mayor of atlanta:

in war your view depends on whci side you are on. how many lifes were safe by hastening the end to this dreadfull conflict. wasnt that why we dropped the bomb on Japan ..to safe lives?

[url]http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/grimsley1/myth/myth.htm[/url][/QUOTE]
At that point in the war the brutality was unnecessary. Additionally, executing civilians and destroying so much civilian property simply led to deeper feelings of anger and resentment during reconstruction and beyond.

Txanne 11-29-2012 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=grumble;335213]If you ever lived in Atlanta or Charleston, you might not think much of the guy. He's lucky the War Of Yankee Aggression didn't end differently.[/QUOTE]

They would have been tried as War Criminals.
And hung or faced a firing squad.

Teg 11-29-2012 03:09 PM

Sherman was actually reprimanded for some of his actions during the "march to the sea," the example which springs most readily to mind was the Roswell Mills incident.

Rounding up women and children in Georgia and sending them off to a prison camp in KY, for the "crime" of working in a textile mill, was apparently too offensive for even Grant to intercede on his behalf.

MYellowRose 11-29-2012 03:54 PM

I'm reading Coffee in Common by our own admin. Read the short story Coffee Girl and LOVED it.

Mike LI 11-29-2012 06:58 PM

A Military Journal of the American Revolution 1775 1783 By James Tatcher MD.

Can be a bit of a tough read because it's written in the language of the day, great book though from a first hand perspective.

marcpuck 12-08-2012 02:21 AM

Am reading William Cobbett's...

Essays called 'Advice to Young Men etc...' (to people in the various stages of life). From 1829.[INDENT]... One of the most amiable features in the character of American society is this; that men never boast of their riches, and never disguise their poverty: but they talk of both as of any other matter fit for public conversation. No man shuns another because he is poor: no man is preferred to another because he is rich. In hundreds and hundreds of instances, men, not worth a shilling, have been chosen by the people and entrusted with their rights and interests, in preference to men who ride in their carriages....

[/INDENT]Times have changed!

Txanne 12-09-2012 12:05 AM

Monday I will be reading Threat Vector--Clancys new one.

Have been making do with my old favorites.
Reading classics---how you can get lost in real masters.

Also ordered James Wesley Rawls==The Patriot and Survivors.

Txanne

puptent 12-09-2012 09:36 PM

the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'brian

My old room mate was a big fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin (Master and Commander) series, but back then I wasn't interested. This year I've read the first 15 of the books in the series, and I'm in the middle of The Wine Dark Sea. Almost done with the series; four to go, not counting the unfinished book that O'Brian was working on at the time of his death.

oldtimer 12-10-2012 01:17 AM

The Bible, the Word of God which changes not, and yet it is fresh each day with something relevant no matter how many times we read it.

MollyPitcher 12-10-2012 02:40 AM

I bought a copy of Backwoodsman magazine. They're getting scarce as hen's teeth so I have decided to subscribe. Rather give my pittance to an individual publisher than a mega corporation publisher.

Starve the beast. Buy local. Barter. Support small business. STARVE THE BEAST.

Teg 12-10-2012 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=oldtimer;336793]The Bible, the Word of God which changes not, and yet it is fresh each day with something relevant no matter how many times we read it.[/QUOTE]

Not being mean or disrespectful, but it has been changed several times over the centuries.

MissouriFree 12-13-2012 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=MollyPitcher;336800]I bought a copy of Backwoodsman magazine. They're getting scarce as hen's teeth so I have decided to subscribe. Rather give my pittance to an individual publisher than a mega corporation publisher.

Starve the beast. Buy local. Barter. Support small business. STARVE THE BEAST.[/QUOTE]

in my neck of Missouri it is carried by Walmart

Teg 12-13-2012 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=MissouriFree;337150]in my neck of Missouri it is carried by Walmart[/QUOTE]

Yup, Walmart and Hastings.

Doninalaska 12-13-2012 06:43 PM

I just finished [U]World Without End[/U] by Ken Follett, and that has inspired me to re-tackle Winston Churchill's [U]History of the English-Speaking Peoples[/U], which I read over 40 years ago when I had lots of time aboard ship. I usually read several books at a time as I have to keep my mind busy. I also am re-reading Elliott Coleman's [U]Four Season Harvest[/U], and, of course, [U]The Bible[/U].

MissouriFree 01-03-2013 11:45 PM

Lately I have developed a habit of rereading some of my library. I suspect it is because I find so few worthy new books.

Today I am rereading the [i] The Maneaters of Tsavo[/i] by lt colonel John Henry Patterson . Written in 1907 by Patterson about his ventures building railroads in Africa.

[url]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Patterson_(author[/url])

A favorite with a special place on the shelf.

Teg 01-03-2013 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=MissouriFree;340281]Lately I have developed a habit of rereading some of my library. I suspect it is because I find so few worthy new books.

Today I am rereading the [i] The Maneaters of Tsavo[/i] by lt colonel John Henry Patterson . Written in 1907 by Patterson about his ventures building railroads in Africa.

[url]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Patterson_(author[/url])

A favorite with a special place on the shelf.[/QUOTE]
That is an Excellent book, the movie (The Ghost and the Darkness) was actually fairly decent as well.

Txanne 01-04-2013 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=Teg;340284]That is an Excellent book, the movie (The Ghost and the Darkness) was actually fairly decent as well.[/QUOTE]

Love that one also.

I am also reading my old stash--John Jakes---I think it has 5 books to the set--North / South.

And if you are interested in cyber crimes Clancys new one Threat Vector is a GREAT read.
Its so close to the truth it scares me----it can happen.