BHM Forum

BHM Forum (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/index.php)
-   Books/Poetry/Member Fiction (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   what are your reading now ........?? (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=13294)

MissouriFree 01-28-2009 11:35 PM

what are your reading now ........??

In the cold of he winter infront of the fireplace, what are you reading right now ??

For me I am now read [i]Killer Angels [/i] Michael Shaara's masterpiece about Gettysburg ( for the third time).

how about you ??

jonvee 02-01-2009 12:28 AM

Re: what are your reading now ........??

I ususally have several books going at once and switch off depending on my mood.

Right now it's "Letters from Pemberly" for pleasure, a Jane Austen spin-off, the "4-Hour Work Week", now that I'm unemployed I'm looking at different ways to make money and "Square Foot Gardening", just to refresh and get some new ideas.

rivahmom 02-02-2009 04:32 PM

[quote=jonvee]I ususally have several books going at once and switch off depending on my mood.

Right now it's "Letters from Pemberly" for pleasure, a Jane Austen spin-off, the "4-Hour Work Week", now that I'm unemployed I'm looking at different ways to make money and "Square Foot Gardening", just to refresh and get some new ideas.[/quote]

That is how I do most of my reading as well. I have Charlaine Harris's From Dead to Worse as my pleasure reading, Adous Huxley's Brave New World because it was the Easton Press I received recently, and Backyard Livestock for knowledge.

FZRaven 02-20-2009 05:30 PM

Right now I have a few going
Einstein: His Life and Universe - Walter Isaacson
Various works of H. G. Wells, The First Men in the Moon, The Invisible Man, The Time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The War of the Worlds.
In Defense of Atheism - Michael Onfray

I also just finished rereading, Animal Farm and 1984.

DM 02-20-2009 08:30 PM

"The Drilling", by Norbert Klups

DM 8)

pinetreefarm 02-20-2009 09:21 PM

"American Theocracy" by Kevin Phillips...excellent read. Saw him on Bill Moyer's Journal and was impressed. Have now read all of his books.

David Baldacci writes the best mysteries and "The Camel Club" and "Split Second" continue his reputation.

Pine

daphodil 02-25-2009 12:52 PM

I'm reading the autobiography, "My First Five Husbands. . . And the ones who got away" by Rue McClanahan.

I happened by it at the library and started to read it there, thinking, "It'll be boring." It, to my delight, was fascinating and I had to check it out. I'm almost done with it. She lets her hair down and, really, I'm pleasantly shocked by her writing.

MissouriFree 02-26-2009 09:14 PM

latest up date. I usually havea few going at same time to. right now
" training ground" about grant, lee, sherman and davis and longstreet in the mexican war 1846.
a great oldie- 40 acres and no mule.

waiting for the latest in:
1. Baldaci -Camel club series.
2.Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp rseries ( the jack bauer of print media),
4. the lincoln Child - Jack reacher series.

EarthMama 03-09-2009 10:26 AM

I'm into Clive Cussler's books now. I discovered him over the winter and really like his writing. Fiction.

offroaddiesel 03-21-2009 01:37 AM

c chutes, school on hearts content road, steve

offroaddiesel 03-21-2009 01:38 AM

oh yeah , i forgot to add my wife and i are in her next one , not a big part , but in there. steve

mohican44 03-23-2009 12:59 AM

most Vince Flynn books are to me, enjoyable, but a little over the top.

One that I've read recently (and it's about 10 years old now) is Term Limits.

It's complaint on DC is like Rand's comment on government intervention in Atlas Shrugged. It seems to fit much better today than when it was written.

BTW, I read Atlas Shrugged in 2004 and I thought it was very fitting. Now it seams like everyone is catching on to it, and "Going Galt"

BTW - I'll plug Backwoods Home Collumnist Claire Wolfs "101 things........"

Lobo 05-13-2009 05:18 PM

Ordeal by Hunger the Story of the Donner Party

Truly ingenuos (sorry about the spelling) about thinking outside the box. I will say if they had left more of the gold at home and packed a bigger lunch, they might have fared better.

Lobo

RueTheDay 07-16-2009 06:16 PM

Just picked up The Urban Homestead.

Ray 08-12-2009 12:34 AM

Historical Fiction

[I]The Whiskey Rebels[/I] by David Liss.

About the converging paths of two distinct individuals right after the war for independence. Spies and political intrigue over the newly formed Bank of the United States. Westward migration, agriculture, land swindles, and of course distilling whiskey.

I'm just over a third of the way through it and it's pretty good. It has good character structure in that you really get interested in them and care what happens next. I'm not sure how accurate the historical details are, it's not exactly G.A. Henty.

It moves at a quick pace, but not too fast, plenty of detail to sink your teeth into. Entertaining fiction.

MissouriFree 08-12-2009 01:04 AM

Ray that sounds good.. thanks.. right now I have American Lion Bio of Andrew Jackson.

flatwater 08-31-2009 11:14 PM

I just finished "The Shack " by Wm Paul Young, A very interesting read that challenges sterio typs and institutional thinking. True Story.

TNDadx4 09-01-2009 10:38 AM

One Second After... on Chapter 3 as of last night.

Dawgus 09-01-2009 01:46 PM

Currently reading

"Yankee Arms Maker" by Jack Roahn, 1935. It's the life and career of Sam Colt. Incredible book! It covers all of his business ventures throughout his life, not just the revolver business...laughing gas, waterproof wick, anti-ship mines, furniture, muskets..many things I didn't know. What a 25 cent goodwill find!!!

jen_in_southtexas 09-01-2009 06:13 PM

I just finished reading "Big Bend...A Homesteader's Story". It is about the life and trials of a man that moved to Big Bend with his family to start a new life. It is an easy read and very detailed. It was published in the 1950's. I absolutely enjoyed this book.

nhlivefreeordie 09-07-2009 02:02 AM

Just finished "The 5000 Year Leap " and Common Sense by Glenn Beck, and that has inspired me to go back and read the Federalist Papers.

bookwormom 09-07-2009 11:06 PM

went to the library saturday and came home with four magazines, 'the Hobbyfarm" or something like that. I guess I liked the picture on the front. Just finished one by Gwen Bristow. I like her stories about the time this Nation was founded. My favorite by her is Celia Garth. Before that I read one by Pearl S. Buck.

MrGreenJeans 09-20-2009 11:31 PM

I have not been to the libiary in a while. What little time i have is not much. I need to get off of it and check out what they have now. Use to read five or six a week still read every mag, or book i can get the time to. Novel's 5 or 6 if i can get 2 or 3 a week this winter i,ll be happy.

Cattails 09-21-2009 05:22 PM

I'm re-reading my Wheel of Time series...again. It's just a fun read to get lost in.

Pokeberry Mary 09-24-2009 10:49 AM

Pearl S Buck

I'm reading some of Pearl S Bucks old books right now--as well as a korean cookbook, a pickling book and thomas paine.

I can't read one book at a time.. dunno why.:meeting:

nhlivefreeordie 10-07-2009 11:11 AM

Just picked up Glenn Becks " Arguing with Idiots " great read, lots of facts to refute those of the left. It is also comical, you laugh and learn at the same time.

zbery1 10-11-2009 12:56 AM

"Patriots" by James Wesely Rawles

I just started this book last night and am in chapter 7, I grew up in Potlatch Idaho not far from where the characters have set up their retreat. I moved back to that part of the country when I got out of the military a few years back but didn't stay long as I found it had become to heavily populated for me. I suppose coming from Chicago it would seem like a good place to make a stand but in mho it has become way to filled with city folk trying to get away from it all and it is no longer the retreat that it was. It seems they couldn't help but bring their city ways along with them. The "out in the sticks" end of the road farm where I grew up, now has several 3 and 4 floor homes on it and is beginning to look like like a high end suburb. I am enjoying the book so far though. So far more as a work of fiction than something to learn from... but I'm having trouble putting it down for long.

Teg 10-30-2009 11:26 PM

Just started "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown, not really grabbing me yet but it has some promise.

MissouriFree 10-31-2009 07:48 AM

Zbery1
I really enjoyed Patriots... the "collapse" that started it all was as scarily realistic and possible as the ended will be uplifting to you.. great book.

TEG
Lost symbol and the new Flynn book" Pursuit of Honor" are both waiting t the library for me to lick up . Both in CD forum. I have an hour drive to work every day. I usually listen to fiction on the drive and read the non fiction stuff at home.. Am also waiting for the new Stephen Hunter book" I,Sniper" the latest Bob Lee Swagger story.

zbery1 10-31-2009 01:12 PM

MissouriFree

I finished "Patriots" a couple days ago, you're right it is a great book, very realistic. I don't think I will do the type of prepping they did, I don't have that kind of money. But I sure enjoyed the book!
Now I've started a Book by William Johnstone called "Jackknife". It is about an attack on America by a terrorist sleeper cell. So far it has kept my interest.

Teg 10-31-2009 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=MissouriFree;178338]Zbery1
TEG
Lost symbol and the new Flynn book" Pursuit of Honor" are both waiting t the library for me to lick up . Both in CD forum. I have an hour drive to work every day. I usually listen to fiction on the drive and read the non fiction stuff at home.. Am also waiting for the new Stephen Hunter book" I,Sniper" the latest Bob Lee Swagger story.[/QUOTE]

I might have to pick up some Vince Flynn and Stephen Hunter books next turn as well, I just finished up all of David Gibbins books and a bunch of Paul Christopher books that I had in the queue before Lost Symbol so I will have a gap unless I decide to push the biography of Frederick the Great that I picked up in the discount bin to the top of the list. :)

Catalpa 11-04-2009 11:04 PM

Just picked up The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte at the library. So far it holds up to the promise of the blurb on the back, it's hard to put down. What's even better is that when I picked it out, I noticed it was just the first one in a series, so I have more to look forward to!

Teg 11-04-2009 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=Catalpa;179349]Just picked up The Singing Sword by Jack Whyte at the library. So far it holds up to the promise of the blurb on the back, it's hard to put down. What's even better is that when I picked it out, I noticed it was just the first one in a series, so I have more to look forward to![/QUOTE]

Always nice when you find a good series. :)

willgate 11-11-2009 01:00 AM

American Revolution by Dr. Ron Paul. Outstanding book by a critical thinker.

Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Every American should read this book.

cinok 11-11-2009 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=willgate;180703]
Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Every American should read this book.[/QUOTE]

+1 one lone survivor. I am not a big reader of novels (short atttention span) unless something grabs me good. Once I started I couldn't put it down.

Dawgus 11-13-2009 09:14 AM

"Cemetaries of Northeast Ohio" Some of the history and stories of people are just amazing. Presidents, Revolutionary War veterans, CMH recipients...incredible stuff. We've started visiting some old local cemetaries for the same reasons. The artwork and craftsmanship of the stones can be just as amazing as the stories of the people.

one4straw 11-13-2009 09:41 PM

I'm about half way through Anna Karenina
and also reading Volume 1 of Trans-Himalaya Discoveries in Tibet by Sven Hedin

Catalpa 11-21-2009 10:54 PM

Dawg you ought to take up geocaching. I've been to some incredibly interesting, tiny little forgotten cemeteries all over Michigan just by chasing geocaches. Sometimes the cache page will even give a history of the site. Good stuff.

Jared 11-22-2009 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=TNDadx4;165760]One Second After... on Chapter 3 as of last night.[/QUOTE]

One of the best books I've read in a long time. That was a real eye opening page turner. Scary, too.
Jared

Jared 11-22-2009 12:25 PM

I just finished Every Knee Shall Bow, about Ruby Ridge and the fiasco that happened there between the gov't and Randy Weaver, et al. It was a good book, I thought. I've considered reading Lone Survivor next, but my To Read list is so long already, I should probably get started on that instead of something new.
Jared

nhlivefreeordie 11-23-2009 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=willgate;180703]American Revolution by Dr. Ron Paul. Outstanding book by a critical thinker.

Just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Every American should read this book.[/QUOTE]

Lone Survivor is a great read, should be read by everyone I agree.

Just finished Sarah Palin's book " Going Rogue " excellent book, this woman gets my vote for president, the left is terrified of her, and she doesn't give a rip. I see another Reagan in her, she will be a great leader for our country.

Kyhome 02-08-2010 12:29 AM

Just finished reading Better Off. Flipping the switch on technology.
Written by Eric Brende
It was a interesting read and I enjoyed it.

MissouriFree 02-08-2010 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=Jared;182715]I just finished Every Knee Shall Bow, about Ruby Ridge and the fiasco that happened there between the gov't and Randy Weaver, et al. It was a good book, I thought. I've considered reading Lone Survivor next, but my To Read list is so long already, I should probably get started on that instead of something new.
Jared[/QUOTE]

Jared<
you need to put [i]Unintended Consequences[/i] by John Ross on your reading list and [I]Waco-Rules of Engagement [/I] on your viewing list. same thugs all the way around
mofree

Teg 05-20-2010 11:25 PM

Just finished the first 2 books in Patrick McManus' Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery's, nice light reads, and I have always enjoyed his writings from Outdoor Life and his short story books.

Currently reading "The First Mountain Man" by William Johnstone

Bondo 05-25-2010 04:06 PM

Just started into Alas, Babylon. Not sure where I am going to next. I guess I have a thing for Post Apocalyptic fiction.

I absolutely love threads like this. I find so many great new reads this way.

Teg 05-25-2010 07:34 PM

Haven't read that one, I used to read the Out of the Ashes series and the Deathlands series when I was younger, both excellent action packed, fast paced reads. :)

dearg 06-01-2010 02:11 PM

Just finished Anthem and We the Living by Ayn Rand, read them many years ago and really didn't let them sink in. Now that I have read We the Living it is incredible and in a way very prophetic IMHO.

Need to read Alas, Babylon again too.

sinzitu 06-01-2010 03:24 PM

I'm reading The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson. A supernatural horror novel published in 1908.

Similar in style to works by H.P. Lovecraft, Robert Bloch, or Clark Ashton Smith.

qwerty 07-29-2010 02:05 PM

I am reading an autobiography of Gen. John Hunt Morgan CSA, its called Rebel Raider, he was a native of ole Kaintucky.

indyguy 07-29-2010 03:16 PM

My uncle captured Gen. Morgan on his foolish raid in to Ohio.