BHM Forum

BHM Forum (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/index.php)
-   Hellos & Happy Birthdays (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Blast from the past (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=36190)

Laura 02-05-2017 10:00 PM

Blast from the past

I have not been on here in ages.......

Lots and lots of things have changed in my life, most for the very very good!!

I am lookin' forward to starting a huge garden from scratch this year and would love input!!

Thanks again!
Laura

rj5156 02-06-2017 01:26 AM

Welcome back:)

We will be scrounging for appliance boxes very soon. Lay them flat on the proposed garden area. Kills the sod, worms like it and it is good for the soil. Tarps work too but cardboard is better.

We hit the recycling drop for newspaper. Cover the ground around plants with it, scatter a little straw over it and hose it all down. Saves a lot of weeding and watering.

We do not work a very large area. We do use the "Square Foot Garden" plant spacing but we don't have raised beds. It works well for us. Others likely have thoughts on larger gardens.

Hope it goes well for you!

Laura 02-07-2017 12:39 PM

I remember years ago this was a 'serious' site about homesteading. Lots of members living the homesteading lifestyle, and sharing their knowledge.

So far, all I am seeing now is posting in the "political" room and almost zero about homesteading.

I belong to two other forums; one is almost politics exclusively, and the other is hit and miss on the homesteading as most of their 'true' homesteaders have left.

I came here thinking I would find serious homesteaders......

I'm just so sick of politics.

backlash 02-07-2017 03:44 PM

Welcome back.

When we first moved here I put in a huge garden just like my dad had.
My brother had a tractor with a tiller so it was easy to over do it.
I took down a couple of fences dad had put up and expanded the yard.
After 2 years of working in the garden and mowing the huge yard I put the fences back and let the cows take care of it.
I was crawling around pulling weeds in the 95 degree heat and realized that onions are $10 for 50 pounds at the local vegetable stands.
I shrank the garden down to a manageable size. A few tomato plants and a zucchini or 2.
We live in an area that has a lot of local produce so it's pretty inexpensive.

I'm with you on politics.
Every thing seems to be about trashing the other side.

This site seems to have slowed way down.
Not much new going on.
It's a shame. I enjoy reading it.

rj5156 02-07-2017 10:29 PM

I noticed that too Laura. I commented in another thread that a lot of members are just gone. Something happened a few years ago here and a number of really long-term, contributing members disappeared. My Dad was Patience. Well, I was Patience and he stole my account because he was having so much fun here and I shared it with him. I finally signed up again with the rj5156.

Dad passed almost 2 years ago, but I remember he left this site and was really upset about it. He did not have the internet experience to deal with difficult people online, I figured. I know I've seen some pretty snarky stuff and even had indyman, a banned member here harass me on my facebook account. Big site makes a big target for trolls? People get tired of it? Mostly I have stayed in my own thread. I do not have social skills;)

The media has been industriously dividing our nation for some reason and I see it everywhere. This site should be very busy right now but it appears to be about dead. Spring is just around the corner and homesteaders can't really do a lot outside yet.

I am sad. I joined in 2006 if I recall and have learned a great deal here though I did not participate much for many years. If folks are half as worried about politics as they say they are I would think homesteading would be the hottest topic of all!

This might also have some impact, Oliver posted his farewell here:
[url]http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=36169[/url]

Not sure what's going on, some combination of all the above? Hoping that if those of us who are still plugging along keep doing that, the situation might improve. I have looked at site traffic lately. 12 people are viewing the firearms thread right now - but only one is a member, 11 are guests. This is typical of what I see lately. Not followed this closely but this is a big shift in what I have seen. Used to be a lot more members viewing and participating. Just casual observations.

rj5156 02-07-2017 11:13 PM

When we think about cultivating a large area we look at unusual crops for our area. We can buy potatoes, corn, onions and so on so cheap it doesn't pay us to fight for them, as you say Backlash. We grow a little bit of that kind of stuff anyway, always looking to find lower maintenance methods - just in case the situation should change.

We plant pepper varities we can't buy to dry, smoke and make fermented hot sauces from them. We grow cooking and medicinal herbs for our own use. We love to grow rainbow radishes and chard. As we get better at growing things that are not available locally we may expand and grow enough to sell some. We like low maintenance and crops we can leverage up in value by fermenting them into a more expensive product.

We planted an orchard last year. Hope to get nut trees and bushes in this year. Got a decent medicinal herb garden in. Be expanding that this year. If we wanted to get a half acre in crops we might plant something like lavender. Lot of ways to imvest a little time and increase the value of the end product a lot. We do have a store front so we could sell it if we wanted to but we are self-employed, we do industrial fabrication and that pays well enough we are not motivated to sell what we can grow.

Instead we make wine and syrups, pickles, chow-chows, kimchi and such. We can a little bit of it, dry some and give a fair amount away in fresh produce, live plant starts and finishes products. It comes back to us in fruits and vegetables we haven't got, farm fresh eggs, odd tools and scrounged materials and so on. Keeps us in touch with our neighbors.

rj5156 02-07-2017 11:22 PM

I remember you. Lot happened in your life pretty fast. Where did you finally end up still in central Indiana? Are you settled now? I am glad to hear that GOOD things were happening!

12vman 02-08-2017 08:41 AM

Good to see you, laura. I'm still around and usually check in daily..

Seems that folks are losing the dream and the drive for this lifestyle. Other social media sites and all of the bells and whistles that they provide makes places like this look boring. It's a shame for sure..

Anyhow, I'm still hiding in the woods and running on batteries..

wildturnip 02-08-2017 11:36 AM

Welcome back, Laura! I remember you too.

I feel the same way about the politics. I am much better talking to folks in person rather than online. I would love to discuss homesteading and gardening, etc.

Laura 02-08-2017 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=rj5156;430393]I remember you. Lot happened in your life pretty fast. Where did you finally end up still in central Indiana? Are you settled now? I am glad to hear that GOOD things were happening![/QUOTE]

I 'ran away' from home August 2015, and came back November 2015.
I bottomed out March 2016.
Saw my doc, formulated a plan and started digging out.

Bought a little house in town,(about an hour north of Indy) with a small yard.
My mortgage is HALF what I was paying in rent.
It is indescribable the security your own home brings.

I am still single, and at this time, don't see that changing. Most days I am 100% ok with that!! HA HA

I have some Ash trees I need taken down, then the yard construction begins.
I guess I am going to have to sign up to a photo site to upload my pics so that I can post them here....

God is Good. All the time!!

Laura 02-08-2017 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=12vman;430398]Good to see you, laura. I'm still around and usually check in daily..

Seems that folks are losing the dream and the drive for this lifestyle. Other social media sites and all of the bells and whistles that they provide makes places like this look boring. It's a shame for sure..

Anyhow, I'm still hiding in the woods and running on batteries..[/QUOTE]

Another site I have been a member for several years has gone down the pooper.
A handful of trolls have managed to run off some very good folks. It's just a shame.

I wish there was a 'homesteading' site, that did not have a 'politics' board, and the mods strictly enforced 'political bickering'.

I was SO excited for the election to be done so that I didn't have to watch all the ads and listen to all the bull poopy. It's worse now. I have no idea where to find real, truthful NEWS.
I submit a "vote of no confidence" (Star Wars reference).

I just want a place where I can share what I know and learn from those who know more than I, in the homesteading, home repair, auto repair world.

Laura 02-08-2017 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=wildturnip;430400]Welcome back, Laura! I remember you too.

I feel the same way about the politics. I am much better talking to folks in person rather than online. I would love to discuss homesteading and gardening, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for remembering me!!

I just received my seeds from Baker Creek!!!!
I can't wait to get in that dirt!!!

rj5156 02-08-2017 03:16 PM

Glad you have stability in your life again Laura. I saw a comment you made about trauma, how mental preparedness is one of the most important things. I have never seen anyone mention that besides me. Yes. It takes a long time to get back up after life knocks us down...

What seeds did you choose?

Doninalaska 02-08-2017 05:15 PM

You can just not view the political areas on this site. It is mostly just two people arguing with each other with a few others adding opinions occasionally. Let them have their fun, but you don't have to pay any attention to it. Unfortunately, many of these forums are being taken over by Facebook and other social media. I don't know if Organic Gardening is still going or not. I was a member there for a number of years, but it was just too busy for me to keep up with while I was working. I'm retired now, so I may look into that again if it is still around.

wildturnip 02-08-2017 08:02 PM

We always plan our gardens and order seeds in January but this year we all go the flu. Today makes three weeks and still not completely back to normal. Much better though. But no gardens planned and no seeds ordered yet. We save a lot of seeds but need a few things, beets come to mind.

Sounds like your plan for digging out is working! I hope you enjoy your new home and garden!

CountryMom22 02-08-2017 08:42 PM

Welcome back! I've been busy looking through seed catalogs and planning my own garden. As much as I enjoy the few sites that I visit, I just don't have the time to check in everyday day. Although I too, have had it with politics! Hubby's aunt came to visit a few weekends ago and the tension in the air due to everyone leaning a different way was palpable. It made me sad. Can't wait for something else more interesting to come along for everyone to talk about.

I look forward to your posts. Maybe you can help revive this board!

Selena 02-09-2017 01:55 AM

This was a homesteading forum in the late 90s. The 2000 election drove most of the members away. This forum almost shut down - not even the home schooling sub-forum was not immune from the wing nuts. The media had nothing to do with "driving the country apart". We now live in a world that changes very quickly. Change does not come easy to some people.

rj5156 02-10-2017 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=Selena;430440]This was a homesteading forum in the late 90s. The 2000 election drove most of the members away. This forum almost shut down - not even the home schooling sub-forum was not immune from the wing nuts. The media had nothing to do with "driving the country apart". We now live in a world that changes very quickly. Change does not come easy to some people.[/QUOTE]

And change is the only thing we can count on. It happens!

Selena 02-10-2017 02:00 AM

[QUOTE=rj5156;430460]And change is the only thing we can count on. It happens![/QUOTE]

You are so right.

Cil 02-14-2017 11:10 PM

Welcome back! Nice to see you again. Even with no kids, I have been trying to get the homeschooling forum excited again. No luck.