BHM Forum

BHM Forum (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/index.php)
-   Conversations (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   September 2018 (http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=36756)

Tim Horton 09-01-2018 10:14 PM

September 2018

Another turn of the calendar. Now it seems time is slipping away. And I've got too much to get done.

Got 3 thunder storms last night. Early evening and it turned dark as the inside of a boot. BIG time wind, thunder, and cold driving rain for 5 minutes. Power flicked off for about 2 minutes then back on as the storm passed. About a 10 minute pause and the next cycle started. All 3 cycles like this only produced about 6mm rain. A lot of bluster for nothing.

Yesterday I did manage to get the hay hauled and put away I needed done. Not much else done as missions go.

Pillage the Village.....

Sweetie and her friend Kalamity Kate went to garage sales today. Sweetie provides the wheels and navigates. Kate drives and buys lunch. They take a map and list of advertised sales in order of closest to farthest. Real organized method to there plunder. I stayed close to the phone in case they needed the truck to haul extra ordinary objects. There have been several times they had to call reinforcements. They enjoyed there day.

hunter88 09-02-2018 10:38 AM

Lots of rain last night, and enough lightning Nebraska never got a chance to play their football game. After a 3 hour delay it was clear there would probably be lightning in the area for many more hours, so they just cancelled.

I probably got 1 1/2 to 2" of rain, but to the south I'm sure many places got 3 or 4" of rain. There's a slight chance for more this morning, but by late this afternoon it's more like a 70% chance of the same thing happening again. And long range it shows better then a 50% chance for rain all the way to next Friday.

Glad I live on high ground.

Doninalaska 09-02-2018 03:06 PM

We have been rain-free for several days now, but it was 34 F. this morning. I have heated two greenhouses the last two nights, but I suspect we will soon pick everything and be done with it for the year. I have to get the garage cleaned out for winter, as wife parks her car in there during the cold weather. We used to get two vehicles and a small garden tractor in there, but there are too many shelves and such in there now. Got the pressure tank for the well replaced a couple days ago. It was 42 years old, rusty and threatening to perforate. The fittings were already leaking. The septic tank of the same age was replaced by a friend last summer, so I think I am set for utilities to the end of my days, I want to have as much ready as I can, so my wife will have less to worry about should I pass.

hunter88 09-04-2018 09:50 AM

Had a little off and on rain yesterday, then about 9 last night it started raining lightly but steady, and kept it up all night. Weatherman last night said 80% chance today, so it looks like some more.

As I mentioned before, pretty good chances all week, and now I see the gulf's hurricane should be near the southern Nebraska border by the weekend, which I assume will bring even more rain.

Doesn't look like I will be getting too much done outside for a while.

Doninalaska 09-04-2018 04:05 PM

Down to freezing yesterday--32 F. Nothing seems to be frozen, but the beans look a little bad. We have been heating the two greenhouses we have that have heat just in case. This morning is in the 40s F. and sunny. We often gat a nice "Indian Summer" in September, so perhaps this is it. We are burning brush piles and now have to fell more trees.

Tim Horton 09-05-2018 02:34 AM

Today was unique to say the least. Cold this morning, near 0C. Whip cream fog all over the bush. Not just over the lake, but all over. Couldn't see more than 20 meters across the yard, down the driveway. About 40 meters to the big night light. It was only a bright blur in the fog. Highway was dry as it is a bit warmer yet so visibility was about 50 meters at best. Was eerie going into town. As we started down the mountain to the river valley there was a kind of clear space between the fog on top of the plateau and the fog in the river valley of town. Spooky to say the least. Tonight it is clear and down to 1C already. When there is a skim of ice on the outside dog water dish, then it is official first frost. Calendar says first frost can be expected by the 11th to 15th of the month here.

Sweetie has been feeding pea vines to the rabbits as they have quit producing but still green enough the bunnies approve.

Took books for the "take a book" library at the tourist center and passenger train station. A paperwork appointment, thrift store, short stop at the hardware, gas, gallon of milk then home.

We are still busy to our ears processing apples into bunny treats.

Forest fire evacuees have all returned home. Fires not out, but under control.

GRIZZLY ALERT.....
Talked to the honey bee and hay neighbor. He said a week or bit more ago he delivered a load of hay to a neighbor about 4-5 kilometer from us. Customer wasn't home so he dropped hay where it goes. Messed around a bit with the truck and trailer, and went home. Customer called later to tell him the trail camera pointing that way shows a sow grizzly and one if not 2 cubs back into the woods away from where he was, and come out to investigate the hay after he left.

First report of a grizzly we heard since 2 summers ago of a confirmed sighting then. Too close for my comfort.

Doninalaska 09-05-2018 05:21 AM

Tim, we were down to freezing yesterday morning--exactly 32 F./0 C. by the thermometer, but nothing was really injured, although the beans are worse for the wear. We are heating both greenhouses that have heat away from the house, and have seen no damage there yet. We have picked a couple apple trees, but there are still a few to go. Our neighbor has scheduled his apple pressing party for next Sunday.

hunter88 09-05-2018 11:22 AM

Well it seems the rain will let up for a day or so. Still a 20% chance this afternoon, but at least a break before another decent chance on Friday.

Bucket on my back deck has 5" of rain in it from the last 3 days. To the south many places have seen 8" to 10" of rain, so I feel lucky.

Might try to put the boat in tomorrow. The smaller lakes I fish don't drain a lot of ground around them since they are just sand pits, but I suspect water levels will still be up some.

Terri 09-05-2018 11:31 AM

It is September, and most years that means I can garden for 3+ more months if I include my home made greenhouse in my plans. I do not heat my greenhouse but I do cover the plants with a few layers of plastic when it gets cold, as recommended by Elliot Coleman.

Now that the worst of the summer's heat has passed it is time to plant that greenhouse, and so every now and then I will pop something into the soil. The plants need to go in fairly early, because once winter sets in the vegetables simply stop growing. I can still harvest and eat them but they stop getting larger. Heck, I once had a plant with a half opened flower in the early winter, and that flower did not FINISH opening until spring because the plant just ENTIRELY quit growing!

The weather this season has been full of drama, with snow still falling a month too late in the spring, drought and record breaking heat in July, and signs of Fall in August during what SHOULD have been the hottest month of the year. While weather in Kansas is NEVER the same from one year to the next, this is unusual. I am starting to think that the gent on youtube is right when he days that "Global Warming" is not really global warming so much as it is "Weather Extremes", with bigger storms and less predictable weather.

At any rate, I did not get a large harvest of anything but I cannot complain as I got a medium harvest of many things, and I have about 20 baggies of vegetables that I froze because we could not eat them fresh. I did not have enough cukes to give away, but I had enough to make one jar of refrigerator relish, and it is good. And I did not get any green beans or salad tomatos to speak of, which is a shame, but if the frost holds off I still might get some.

Now is the time of year to think about the weed tree removal and building in the back yard, and so I have stained some landscaped timbers to make me another raised bed. I need to repair the cord to my chainsaw battery charger so that I can hit the weed trees that are killing my blackberries. And then I need to hit the weed trees. And, the big rototiller has had its tires pumped up, been filled with gas, and I might use it to expand the garden this Fall so that the soil is easy to work next spring.

Each season has its chores, and *IF* those chores get done in the proper season it makes life much easier through the year!

hunter88 09-08-2018 04:03 PM

Sun is out and it looks like we'll have a chance to dry out some. Some soybeans are starting to yellow a bit, and some corn is starting to brown, so fall is coming fast. Going to have to start on that firewood pretty soon. I think I need a new bar for the saw, so I suppose I better do that next week.

Terri 09-08-2018 09:23 PM

The latest hurricain sent moisture our way, and so it appears the drought has broken. Yay me.

That is all.

Doninalaska 09-08-2018 11:59 PM

Make the weather good next month! I will be travelling through Nebraska and Kansas in October. My wife and I will be going down to meet the parents of my son in Nebraska as there is a wedding in Omaha in December and, although we have met the bide-to-be several times, we haven't met her parents. We always try to schedule a trip somewhere in the fall and sometimes in the spring, so this will be the fall trip. We will be doing a bit of a road trip in the middle of our air and rail travels.

hunter88 09-09-2018 12:50 AM

October weather is usually pretty good in Nebraska. We have had to cancel Halloween a time or two over snow storms, but that was before global warming, so you shouldn't have to worry now. ;)

Tim Horton 09-09-2018 01:31 PM

Busy Saturday.. Usual just before daylight sprinkle of rain. Overnight low temps close to 0C, with this coming mid week low predicted -3C. Ice on the dog water dish. Still not out of fire smoke coverage, but not as bad as before. We have had our campfire restriction lifted. So tea, toast and marshmallows over the fire again.

Neighborhood area garage sale. Scored a few small things, nothing of WOW consequence. Did pick up over 20 some boxes of give away books at an estate home clean out. Family cleaning house saying there will be that much or more later when they get it sorted out. Sweetie already has a couple boxes processed and ready to recycle through the "take a book" library systems she and MIL stock.

About 4;30 Friday morning something in the bush out behind the garage let out a howl. About a 2 second Ah-woo.... Strange voice in/near the house still makes me cling to the ceiling. Nothing tripped a motion light or showed its self in the pre dawn. NOT good as this indicates to me a predator that IS capable of causing real harm here. I do admit to being more on edge after the grizzly sighting around 2 weeks ago now.

hunter88 09-09-2018 09:58 PM

Well I bought firewood today. Have never bought firewood but decided some hardwood would mean a lot less wood needed if burning soft cottonwood and soft maple all winter, which is what I have access to.

I bought a full cord, 128 cubic feet, delivered and stacked in my shed for $300. For me that would be equal to about 3 pickup loads that I normally cut. But being hardwood instead of softwood, it should last more like 5 loads of wood. I have enough logs and wood cut up to equal another 6 or 7 pickup loads, so I think I should be in very good shape for this winter.

The ground I still have access to has a lot of dead logs down, though not necessarily on the ground. There are so many logs down they are laying over each other all over the place. Most of these should be elm, though I don't think hard elm. Next spring I will work my way to these logs with my tractor. Basically building a road to get to them, and then snaking them out to where I can work on them.

My son in law now has a tractor with a grapple on the front bucket. Maybe next spring we will use a trailer and stack logs on the trailer with the grapple and bring them up to a spot near my house. A big stack of logs kept up off the ground could be worked on later on down the line.

Kachad 09-10-2018 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=Doninalaska;438731]Tim, we were down to freezing yesterday morning--exactly 32 F./0 C. by the thermometer, but nothing was really injured, although the beans are worse for the wear. We are heating both greenhouses that have heat away from the house, and have seen no damage there yet. We have picked a couple apple trees, but there are still a few to go. Our neighbor has scheduled his apple pressing party for next Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Greetings Sir - by what method are you heating your greenhouses? .. and how many months do you keep them active before shutting down?

Kachad 09-10-2018 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=Doninalaska;438767]Make the weather good next month! I will be travelling through Nebraska and Kansas in October. My wife and I will be going down to meet the parents of my son in Nebraska as there is a wedding in Omaha in December and, although we have met the bide-to-be several times, we haven't met her parents. We always try to schedule a trip somewhere in the fall and sometimes in the spring, so this will be the fall trip. We will be doing a bit of a road trip in the middle of our air and rail travels.[/QUOTE]

If you are anywhere close to Lincoln, I would say stop for a night. They have a pretty good Cajun restaurant in the Old District, and a nice Italian restaurant as well.

Doninalaska 09-10-2018 05:47 AM

We had our turn at the apple press today and had a long talk with the owner. We sampled a number of new apples and a few plums that we may be getting next spring to graft onto our own trees. Kachad, I have a wood stove to heat our "big" greenhouse (16' x 32') and a smaller one that I have an electric heater in that keeps everything above freezing. We only use the heat as a season extender, so when they require heat all day, we shut things down and clean them out. We also have an attached greenhouse/artic entry that we could use to grow all winter, but we don't. It is just too expensive to keep it going. The attached one does get used in the early spring, however, for hardier bedding plants before we sell them or set them out. The little new greenhouse (that has the electric heater) was up to 95 F. today when I got home from church. It has auto-open window and a fan and it still got that hot--but it was only 50 F. outside at the time, so I just manually opened a window on each end and the temp dropped to 78 F., just about right.

We will be in Omaha, so Lincoln wouldn't be hard. Just drop me the names of the two restaurants, and I will try to catch at least one of them.

hunter88 09-10-2018 09:58 AM

If in Omaha and have the time hit the zoo, it is one of the best in the country.

Tim Horton 09-10-2018 03:43 PM

After I posted yesterday we had tea and toast then off to town to an appointment to pick apples. On the way in, about a kilometer into town on the main highway from where our road intersects by our last stop before home strip mall there was a road kill black bear. Very recent, tagged with crime scene tape waiting for the road crew to pick up. Looked to be about a 150 kilo adult likely got hit going through town doing his garbage, fruit tree morning run. Of course I ask sweetie if she wanted to stop and have a snack only to get "the look" chuckle......

Picked apples, a couple garage sales, library stop, gallon of milk and home.

Did chores and it rained for a short time just before dark.