Thread: I Am Burned Out
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Master Pontificator

I was there many times but I just cut out luxuries and tightened my belt and doubled down harder.

have you considered the conquistador approach (when they arrived in mexico and sank their ships so there was no turning back), that's what I did, I scuttled everything, sold everything, went down to just what I could fit in a car, threw all my resources into a small plot of land and built up everything from there. I won't lie its a lot of hard labor and sacrifice, and lots of hardship, but unlike a crappy job that puts all your time and effort into nothing, putting lots of time and effort into building up a homestead puts the value of all of your work directly into your pockets (generally speaking). salvaging lumber and materials by demolishing old sheds and garages and burned houses, people will pay for the day labor for someone to tear down stuff for them, salvageable materials can then be stockpiled and turned into a shed, cabin, chicken coop, etc, and once you have it its yours and you gain the use of a homemade building. the conventional approach is to work a meaningless job for a small wage that barely covers your expenses to work (transportation to and from work, food) while eating up most of your time, slowly saving up money to buy new materials at very high prices. salvaging might not make much money (just enough to cover transportation and food for the day), but the material is free so eliminates the need for money to buy materials, but you need time to do it.

its not an easy approach and you have to think creatively, the modern mindset is trained to follow the wake, work a meaningless job for small pennies that barely cover living expenses, take a few hours to sleep, then repeat. there is a reason few jobs pay good money, they want workers who will stay long term, and pay just enough to keep you there, but not enough for you to rise above it.

what I did might terrify people who are too accustom to the system of work wage sleep repeat, but I can say there are a lot of benefits when you stop putting your time into making other people money and start generating the benefits of your labor for yourself.

overall my advice is to take a hard look at alternative options, you won't break out of a repeating cycle by doing the same thing and hoping things will change, sometimes a radicle change (which comes with lots of unknowns) is the way to break out of a cycle and start moving toward what you want