View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

When we decided to homeschool our nephew, the school principal told us that he wasn't sure that he could approve that, after which we told him we weren't asking for his approval but were simply letting him know that he wouldn't be in school the following semester.

Approval isn't necessary in Maine. There is are some curriculum standards that need to be followed, but it's not detailed. One of the things that have to be taught, interestingly, is Maine history, which we did, although I learned later that the public school wasn't teaching Maine history.

In Maine, also, homeschooled children can attend public school classes or participate in any public school activities. Our nephew attended the choir and band classes at the school and participated in a school play.

There are so many more options now. Many states, including Maine, now have virtual public schools, where students can complete elementary and high school from home, entirely online. I understand that Florida has an even more comprehensive virtual school program, intended to take the place of expensive school facilities in rural communities, but which is available to any Florida student.

There are also several accredited private school programs that are online, some secular, some religious in nature.

Unfortunately, they didn't have enough of an enrollment to keep it going, but parents in a nearby town leased a closed elementary school building and held a community school, not affiliated with the public school. They had a principal and a couple of teachers, but the teachers mostly facilitated a curriculum that was a combination of online, DVD, and workbook-based material, available to help students who had questions or who needed special help, but without standing up in front giving lessons. Students worked at their own pace, and several grades could use the same room.

Other places have homeschool groups, where parents who are particularly good in one area of the curriculum would teach that segment to children outside of their own family, and so on. They could also get together for sports and social activities, to avoid the isolation of attending school solely at home.