View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM
Master Pontificator

Leera, first off let me offer my condolences to you. The death of a marriage is like any other death... and it hurts.

This subject is such a passion of mine, I feel like shouting my response from the rooftops! But I'll contain myself.

I read about stories like yours all the time. I don't know where people get the idea that "homesteading" is all or nothing. Who wouldn't "go postal" working yourself to death?! I can't imagine it.

There are as many definitions of "homesteading" as there are people doing it. You don't have to have barnyard animals, grow your own food, or have fifty million acres of land in order to be considered a homesteader.

I live a very simple life, out away from everybody. And the neighbors I do have I don't speak to... not because I don't want to but because we just don't have anything in common and thus have nothing to say to each other. I buy our food in bulk, have no debt, read library books, sit on my porch & listen to the birds, get up early & go to bed early, recycle & reuse, buy fresh produce from local family farms, chat with like-minded friends online, and simply be. That, to me, is the definition of a simple homesteading life. I realize that's NOT the definition for some folks and that's ok. Again, there are as many definitions of "homesteading" as there are people doing it.

It sounds like you and your now-ex husband were homesteading according to someone else's rule book and not your own.... and therefore got overwhelmed and bogged down with work. And it ended sadly. But the bright side is that you're now happy and that's all that counts. I wish that mobile home had been put on your piece of land to begin with. But live and learn... all of us gotta do that.

Continued peace & happiness, Earth Mama