Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Rural King tractors (made in China) ?

Is there anyone out there that owns one or knows any owners?
I really need to get off my @$$ and buy a tractor. I have been in need ever since I moved onto my property over a year ago.
I will not be a full time farmer, but need a machine that will be ready any time I have the free time to use it!
I am leary of buying used because I do not wish to buy someones problem that they decided to unload!
Popular name brands are just more than I can afford at this time.
I have been to a couple of message boards that spoke well of them and I personally know one person that has had one for over 2 years and they said they are happy with it and have had no problems with it.
The Foton 40 hp model the local store has in stock sells for around $8000 and a front-end loader will run around $3700 to add. This is many thousands less than popular name brands.
Does the phrase, "you get what you pay for" come into play here???????????

Any advise positive or negative will be appreciated.

SPIKE
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Rural King tractors (made in China) ?

You get what you pay for leads the way followed by you don't get what they ain't got!

I have a friend with a 34HP (I think) that has been waiting 5 months for a gear in the front axle. Broke under warranty and dealer happy to replace it just can't get it from the manufacturer.

A tractor in the field is worth many thousands more than one in the shop...

Some suggestions:
Branson 42 hp 4X4 with loader and backblade 20K and a 4 year warranty. Cummins Powered. Best small tractor I have owned. I use it as a general all around tractor and a feed tractor, that means it handles hundreds of 1000 lb bales a year in all weather. Made in Korea.

Mahindra, My first choice but they are/were in the enviable position of being backordered well beyond my immediate need. Good tractor but the extra weight can be just as bad as it is good. Made in India. 24K

Case and New Holland were the same tractor made in the same plant in Korea.... Big difference was paint. 24-25K

John Deere. This one will spark some debate but yup the local dealer says "all JD small compact tractors are made in asia..." You are buying the same thing with pretty green paint and a price tag. He sent me to Branson. 29K

All of the above were based on the same size tractor in 38 to 42 HP.

The biggest reason us farmer types buy Green (JD) or Red (Case) tractors is LOCAL PARTS AVAILABILITY. You can't use it if it won't go.

Don't buy any tractor that the dealer can't walk you through a fully stocked parts department. The best tractors ever made break down, nature of the beast and all.

Ted
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Deb,

Kubota stacks up real well if bought from a dealer (grey market and all ya know).

The only trouble I ran into was they didn't have the right combination of features for my needs. I could not get the HP I wanted in a farm version only industrial thus no PTO, I could get close but then there was the price... I could have bought green.

All and all they are equal or better than any american tractor which are not american anyhow lol. Expect to pay 4-5 K over some of the other popular brands.

Ted
Old 10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have several tractors on my farm, and i expect them to be ready for work when i am... I expect them to be reliable too... At this time i won't have a chinease tractor on my place... They DO have problems and in this case, you DO get what you pay for...

My last two farm tractors that i bought new are Agco's, and they have been excelent. I have a very good Agco dealer here too.

I also own a Kubota now, and have had a couple others. They are pretty good IF used as they were designed to be used, meaning unless you get a "M" series they aren't real farm tractors. The "L" series that most folks buy are compact tractors, and are medium duty tractors that will do a lot of garden work and are great for small truck farms. (same thing for all other brands of compact tractors)

For a lower priced decent tractor, i'd look at Mahindra, Branson, TYM. They have decent compact tractors and are now also entering into the farm tractor market with bigger HP tractors.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a used tractor in good shape at all, but i'd get someone who knows tractors to look at it, even if i had to pay a mechanic to go with me!

BTW, i wouldn't buy too old of a tractor either, get something new enough that it has a "modern" diesel engine, it will be your best bet!

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM

For all of my tillage needs when truck farming/gardening i'd invest in a rototiller. (Howard calls theirs a rotavator) My first choise in brands would be Howard. The second choise is Maschio. I had 3 Howards up untill last year when i sold the oldest one. I'm still useing the other 2 here on my farm and also comercially..

Once i learned how to use a rotavator, i've no longer had a use for a plow or a disk. A rotavator will make a much better seed bed for veggies, and do it useing less fuel and with less compaction.

I have been doing custom rotavating for many years now, and i believe Howard has the toughest tillers on the market, and they are also one of the most expensive. For me, they have been worth the $$, as i never know what i will hit in a field and the Howards can really take what ever comes along.

I compost right in the field, and then turn the compost by tilling it. This is so much easier than haveing compost piles and haveing to move them and deal with them!

Here's my little Kubota tractor with it's 42" Howard...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks Ted and DM for the input.

I stopped by Rural King last Saturday and the man that had just bought the last 40 hp that they had at that time, was picking it up. Actually, he drove it away and the diesel engine sounded good. He spent a little time talking to me about it. This was the second tractor he had purchased there. He still has the first and said that it has not given him any problems in the 2 years that he has owned it. He has cattle in two different locations and wanted a second tractor so he would not have to move the one from place to place.

I also spoke with another Foton owner. He is very pleased with his tractor that he has had for almost 2 years. He also said that his first Foton tractor did have a few problems, but that with the newer models these problems have been resolved. One of the problems had to do with the front axle, but the front axle on the new ones is a new design.

I am still looking and weighing my option.

DM, I have been told that the rototillers that were PTO driven were hard on the the PTO gears. I guess you have not experienced any problems with yours. Thanks for mentioning that.

Ted, I thought Mahindra tractors were another of the brands to stay away from because of the availability of parts.

SPIKE
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
DM, I have been told that the rototillers that were PTO driven were hard on the the PTO gears. I guess you have not experienced any problems with yours. Thanks for mentioning that.
This is true if you buy a tractor that isn't built well enough to take it, but what good is a tractor with a PTO if the PTO driveline is too weak to do the job you bought the tractor for??

Have you checked into what a chinease tractor is worth resale wise?? Those i know that have them, are "stuck" with them! (there words not mine)

Here's my 40hp tractor that has run this 6' Howard rotavator 500 hours before i sold the tiller. I had owned it about 20 years and it made me a lot of $$$ over the years. This is the third tractor i used that rotavator on.....

DM

Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 PM

www.tractorbynet.com

This is the best site I have found for tractor info. It cover all brands and most gray market tractors. Has good info on how to, projects, build your own info..... Realy leans toward the small to midsize.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 PM

My soil looks like that because of years and years of putting huge amounts of grass, hay, and leaves in it along with TP, (turkey poop) letting it compost in the rows. It takes time to build your soil, but if you keep after it, you will be rewarded!!

"If" you liked the last Howard rotavator pict... you will love this one. This is my bigger one that i do "field" work with... It's 7 feet wide...

I bought it a few years ago, and it's also been a great tool. You can see what one pass over a field get's you, and that field had a mix of rye and vetch in it. I took the hay off it for horse hay and then rotavated it for the next crop.

As for tractor by net... I started going there when it first came on line. I finally got tired of all the mis-information there when it came to useing a tractor for actual farming.

There is some good info there but you really have to do a lot of sorting to find it. It's a yuppie site that has lots of tractor owners that mow grass and polish there tractors.... Most believe "their" tractor will do anything! I have seen quite a few "broken tractor" pictures there when they try to farm or do HD work with there compacts...

BTW, i want to mention that there's a HUGE difference between a 3 point rototiller and a field rototiller. (rotavator)

DM

Old 10-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Inactive Member

Great Thread...

Awesome to see the "sharing" of good info like this!

"Hats Off" to You, DM...
for the passing on of 'on hand' experience and knowledge.

I learned something...always appreciate that in here.

Good Luck to All...
preparing and bringing out the next planting season!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:37 AM

"As for tractor by net... I started going there when it first came on line. I finally got tired of all the mis-information there when it came to useing a tractor for actual farming"

I think that there are more "yuppie" and small hobby farmer now than there are hard core dirt turners. Info on how to clear 5 ac. will be needed by more than how to use GPS to till 500ac. The small tractor market is what is growing, not the 50hp + market.Most folks on there are like me first time tractor owner, learning as I go, learning from my mistakes, learning from theirs. We learn when what we have is right for the job and when to call the pros.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the advise and warnings.

Since my last post here, I have been able to talk with 4 other owners of a foton tractor in my area. They are all pleased with the tractor and the service they have received from their local Rural King store.

So.......I may be throwing away good money, but if I do not get a lemon from the get-go...................

For my occasional needs I think the savings in cost makes it worth a try.
I have ordered a 40 hp Foton with a spirit front end loader. The loader is quick detach, but I doubt it will be removed very often. I also have purchased a box blade, bush hog, and finish mower. These implements are all made by Farm Star and are all 6 ft wide. They are the better grade of implements that they sell.

Total cost after a 10% (plus a little) discount was $13,010. Then I had them throw in the first service ($100 value), a 20 x 30 tarp (needed until I can finish my shed) and a diesel fuel can (don't you just hate those unvented cans).

The hard part now is waiting for it to be delivered. Should have it in about a week.

Name brand tractor alone would have cost more than my whole purchase. Wish me luck!!!!! I will be sharing my opinions of my new toy with everyone here.
Time will tell if I have made a mistake, but I have spoken with enough owners to give it a try.

SPIKE

Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 AM

Also They threw in 2 year extended warranty at half price.

SPIKE
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 AM

I hope this old thread will come back up.

Hey Docjered, here is my input on a chineese tractor.
I still only have 30 hrs on my tractor, but it has been a good purchase so far!

SPIKE
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks for bringing this thread back, Spike... glad you are having luck with your tractor... I am looking at the Jinma front end loader, which has had some bad press due to design error of the hydraulics and parts availability. I understand there is a US upgrade to these which makes it better and compatible with US standard hoses etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM

Hey Doc
Check out M&M Tractors. They are just off 44 and seem to just about have what you want.
I havent bought from them but I have a friend who got one.
I will stick to my 1957 Ford 641 ( two each) and my (hopfully) new 1954 8N lawn mower
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Master Pontificator

If you are looking for a good RELIABLE and simple gear shift type compact tractor, the John Deere 790 or if you need a bit larger tractor the John Deere 990 are both VERY good machines and in my opinion provide the best bang for the buck. Both of these tractor are built by Yanmar for John Deere.

Another brand that is also worth looking at is Kioti. The DK 45 and DK 65 are both solid reliable machines.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 AM

I am still very happy with my "cheap" tractor. It served me well for the first year.

I did have one minor fluid leak that was taken care of by warranty. Where the rod that ingages the 4 wheel drive goes into the transfer case, there was an O ring that had to be replaced.

SPIKE
Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Passed On

Got a buddy here with a Jinma tractor, sold under the name Farm Pro. He's not growing cotton or anything, so it suits his needs. On more than one occasion he's needed parts - noting major, just routine maintenance stuff. He's not big on the internet, so he comes over and we hunt the parts down. Not much trouble finding replacements. He can't find his manual (if he ever had one) and we have had no problem finding the manual and replacement diagrams on-line. Other than the cost of diesel, he's pretty happy, and I've gotten the benefit of his post-hole digger attachment more than once.

Regards,
Pat
Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE
I am still very happy with my "cheap" tractor. It served me well for the first year.

I did have one minor fluid leak that was taken care of by warranty. Where the rod that ingages the 4 wheel drive goes into the transfer case, there was an O ring that had to be replaced.

SPIKE
Spike,

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your tractor.

Not sure if you have seen these but below are a few links that may come in handy for you in the future.

http://www.ctoa.net/ (excellent forum for chinese tractor owners, LOTS of info. & knowledge)

http://www.artrac.com/index.html (Chip Uren is the owner of this dealer that sells various versions of these tractors and he has been VERY helpful in the past with good info. and helping other folks with these tractors. He is not too far from you.)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1nh79/id14.html

http://www.chinaimporters.com/tractors/