BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Ruger Scope Rings, What a PROBLEM?

I have never really cared for the new math. What I was taught arrived at the answer much faster with less effort and was easily checked.

Apparently Ruger has employed some engineers who want to impress the world with their new math skills, since they seem to believe it is essential to have scope mounts of two different heights to align the scope with the rifle barrel. Unless the rings are beveled using two different height rings will damage a scope so mounted, and the scope offset from the barrel at an angle ever so slight will never be parallel. The two angels will eventually intersect, but sighting in a rifle with such a mounting arrangement must be almost impossible to accomplish.

To further complicate the matter, one can not even believe Rugers own published information. Apparently more new math skills at work. Again according to their own website:
Their # 3 rings will mount a scope with up to a 32 mm diameter objective lenses,
Their # 4 rings will mount a scope with up to a 42 mm diameter objective lenses,
Their # 5 rings will mount a scope with up to a 52 mm diameter objective lenses, and
Their # 6 rings will mount a scope with up to a 62 mm diameter objective lenses.

I purchased a set of # 5 rings and they will not allow a scope with a 40 mm diameter objective lenses to be seated on the scope rings. Then I ordered a set of Leupold Ruger Super High(1.150) Rings. I was expecting to receive two rings of the same height, but no they are of different heights, although the molded container compartments shows identical heights, the contents of each compartments was certainly not of the same height. Now I have to purchase another set of Leupold Ruger Super High Rings in order to mount one scope. But I will have a spare set of rings, if I can find a scope they will mate to a rifle.

I have always preferred Ruger products to all others, but after this experience, I doubt I will be looking for anything Ruger. Stupid people can ruin any company!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Apparently Ruger has employed some engineers who want to impress the world with their new math skills, since they seem to believe it is essential to have scope mounts of two different heights to align the scope with the rifle barrel.
They do that because the receivers on their rifles are often stepped, which requires the bases to be different heights to place the bottom of the rings at the same level.

If you're having problems mounting Ruger rings on a Ruger rifle, odds are good you are mounting them in the wrong locations. Switch them back to front and see if things don't change for the better.

Varying heights on Ruger rings are not something new.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Ruger rifles come from the factory with a set of rings included in the box.

If you contact Ruger with the rifle model number and style, and the brand and specs of the scope you are trying to mount, there's a good chance they will just send you a set free of charge.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

https://alaskaarmsllc.com/blogs/news...ruger-firearms

Quote:
Ruger manufacturers two groups of firearms; one group uses the same height ring front and rear and the other group uses different heights because the integral firearm bases are not the same height.

Additionally, your specific scope will further determine the correct ring heights. It is a good idea to visit the Ruger website and verify
Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Master Pontificator

I understand the Ruger Hawekeye Rifle does have a slant to the receiver necessitating the different height rings, but this is not a Hawekeye.

I have purchased three sets of rings, but did not realize the last set was also mismatched rings. It was a set of Leupold Super High rings, so now I have ordered a second set of identical Leupold Super High rings in order to have two matching pair and that makes four sets of rings I have purchased to have one working set of rings. But what concerns me more than anything else is their (Ruger's) own published information is absolutely 100% worthless. That is Pathetic!

It's all about the money, one Ruger ring cost anywhere from twice to five times what a set of Weaver rings cost! And they do not hold a scope any more secure than ANY OTHER BRAND of scope rings.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM

It's not "about the money".
You're buying the wrong rings for the rifle you have.

Leupold rings made to fit many Rugers will also be two different heights, and will work as they should if you ordered them for the correct rifle.

Putting two rings of equal height on many Ruger rifles will not work at all.

You need to contact Ruger and find out which rings are designed for your particular rifle.

Quote:
this is not a Hawekeye.

Quote:
I understand the Ruger Hawekeye Rifle does have a slant to the receiver necessitating the different height rings, but this is not a Hawekeye.
I really don't think you do understand.
Telling us what it's not is useless information.

There is no "slant" to the receiver.
There are 2 different heights where the scope rings mount.

The problem isn't the design of the Ruger rings.
It seems to be strictly operator error.

Quote:
But what concerns me more than anything else is their (Ruger's) own published information is absolutely 100% worthless. That is Pathetic!
Their published information is 100% correct.
You're just not reading the information for your particular rifle.

I've told you more than once how to easily resolve the problem, and it's not by continuing to buy the wrong rings.
You're going to end up with a damaged scope and lots of worthless mounts you don't need.

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 09-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
worthless mounts
No such thing as a worthless mount.
Justifiable excuses to purchase additional rifles.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Ruger American?

Is it a Ruger American ? If so folks are having problems fitting bases/rings/scopes. Seems some place in the Ruger safety manual they have the number of Weaver parts that fit.

With that being said, some guys have had to turn bases around to get the fit they like.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Is it a Ruger American ? If so folks are having problems fitting bases/rings/scopes. Seems some place in the Ruger safety manual they have the number of Weaver parts that fit.

With that being said, some guys have had to turn bases around to get the fit they like.
That's probably what he has since it's one of the few Ruger rifles that don't use Ruger rings.

It comes with the bases if I'm not mistaken.