BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Prayer Requests

Prayer Requests This board is ONLY for prayer requests from folks of all faiths.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 PM

Default I Am Burned Out

I have gone through a fairly rough patch in my life. I have been through rough patches, but for some reason, this last one took a lot out of me.

The short version is that I switched jobs and was quickly fired, then got another job three months later, worked about nine months and got fired again, was off for three months and hired...and got fired again maybe two months later. Prior to this spate of career troubles, I had never been fired or even laid off. It was as if, all of the sudden, I couldn't get along with anyone.

More troubling, was during the last four months of unemployment, I spent money that I should not have spent. I was not a good steward, it was as if I just gave up on living right and and got pulled under.

I recently started back to work and things seem to be tolerable. I am underpaid by about $ 20 K / year and having to work out of town, but at least I am employed. I am not happy because my employer told me I would be close to home - that's why I accepted a lower salary - and then they promptly sent me out of town. OK, that's still better than spending money you don't have - and I am glad for the opportunity.

The troubling aspect, though, is that, in the past, when I closed my eyes at night, I thought about my homestead plans and future and that is what got me through the tough time. I knew that someday I would be on that land and free of the shackles of corporations that treat you like a resource (a resource is something you use up, such as coal).

But now I can't seem to get lost in planning my future.

I have forgotten how to dream. I need restoration.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Wish there was something I could say that would help, but there isn't. You just need to keep keepin' on. Make the most of this job even if it isn't perfect. You'll find the dream again if you can get past the negative thinking about the money you spent. We all make mistakes and go through dark times. But you'll make it to the other side, and while you're working at this job keep an eye out for the job that will get you back in town and to your homestead. This is just a temporary set back.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Default True

Thank you.

I guess the trick to it all is never giving up.

Just wish I could get my brain give it a rest ever now and then!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Master Pontificator

You don't sound like a quitter to me, so I'm sure this will pass. Don't try to force yourself to imagine the homestead. Take some time to be thankful for the little things: an income (ok, not so little!), time to plan or revise plans, getting to live in a different area (remember it's temporary), maybe you can find some like minded people to spend some time with, etc.

That should help pass the time in a constructive manner. And hopefully help you to revive the dream!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've always said that the happiest people in the world are the bums on SkidRow because they're the only ones who are doing exactly what they want to be doing.

For the rest of us, we have our expectations & plans but rarely are we able to achieve them completely.

When we don't live up to our own expectations, we become frustrated and either get mad, or turn the anger inward and become depressed-- either way, we don't play well with others.

We either have to take steps to change the situation or concede and accept it.

Remember PeeWee's flip over his bicycle handlebars?-- "I meant to do that."
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 PM

We all have the ups and downs in life. Sometimes the downs last for a while, and several in a row. BTDT. I'm going through a similar thing now.

Prayers for you and may a light of hope come you way soon.
We can all use a friend to encourage us, and point out the good that we already have.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2uniform View Post
I have gone through a fairly rough patch in my life. I have been through rough patches, but for some reason, this last one took a lot out of me.

The short version is that I switched jobs and was quickly fired, then got another job three months later, worked about nine months and got fired again, was off for three months and hired...and got fired again maybe two months later. Prior to this spate of career troubles, I had never been fired or even laid off. It was as if, all of the sudden, I couldn't get along with anyone.

More troubling, was during the last four months of unemployment, I spent money that I should not have spent. I was not a good steward, it was as if I just gave up on living right and and got pulled under.

I recently started back to work and things seem to be tolerable. I am underpaid by about $ 20 K / year and having to work out of town, but at least I am employed. I am not happy because my employer told me I would be close to home - that's why I accepted a lower salary - and then they promptly sent me out of town. OK, that's still better than spending money you don't have - and I am glad for the opportunity.

The troubling aspect, though, is that, in the past, when I closed my eyes at night, I thought about my homestead plans and future and that is what got me through the tough time. I knew that someday I would be on that land and free of the shackles of corporations that treat you like a resource (a resource is something you use up, such as coal).

But now I can't seem to get lost in planning my future.

I have forgotten how to dream. I need restoration.
My most favorite quote is:; Trouble Rides a Fast Horse--Saddle up.
I went though that----had all I owned yanked out from under me.
The problem I saw was it was really easier to over come and rebuild when your young.
The older we get the taller the mountain.
I only was able to rebuild a small partion--But that is good---less to maintaim.
Depression indeed turns us into at times untolerable folks---w dont realize it at first and it snowballs---its almost cost me my life.

Are things better now? Yes thank God they arent as bad as they were.

Hang in there--an a hint here:; Quit beating yourself up----you are human--we do that--all of us.
it'll be ok I promise,
Annie
Old 11-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Wondering how Bravo2uniform is doing an if he got through the slump he seemed to be in

Txanne, I have to slightly disagree with the rebuilding being easier when younger, though I probably would still be called young by some standards. if I had to rebuild again I would think it easier the second time since I have a lot more experience and skill than I did the first time and I could do it over with greater efficiency and avoid a lot of the dumb learning mistakes I made.

one such is that I once spent $1500 on materials piece by piece to build a crappy shed (home despot lumber), it was barely 8x16, and for about the same money I was able to use rough cut lumber milled from my own logs to build a 30x50 barn, had I the knowledge then that I have now I would have saved a lot of money and had much better results from what I spent.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Default I am getting back in the groove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
Wondering how Bravo2uniform is doing an if he got through the slump he seemed to be in
I am honored. I am getting back in the groove.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2uniform View Post
I am honored. I am getting back in the groove.
Right on, good to hear, Dude.