BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default September 2018

Another turn of the calendar. Now it seems time is slipping away. And I've got too much to get done.

Got 3 thunder storms last night. Early evening and it turned dark as the inside of a boot. BIG time wind, thunder, and cold driving rain for 5 minutes. Power flicked off for about 2 minutes then back on as the storm passed. About a 10 minute pause and the next cycle started. All 3 cycles like this only produced about 6mm rain. A lot of bluster for nothing.

Yesterday I did manage to get the hay hauled and put away I needed done. Not much else done as missions go.

Pillage the Village.....

Sweetie and her friend Kalamity Kate went to garage sales today. Sweetie provides the wheels and navigates. Kate drives and buys lunch. They take a map and list of advertised sales in order of closest to farthest. Real organized method to there plunder. I stayed close to the phone in case they needed the truck to haul extra ordinary objects. There have been several times they had to call reinforcements. They enjoyed there day.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Lots of rain last night, and enough lightning Nebraska never got a chance to play their football game. After a 3 hour delay it was clear there would probably be lightning in the area for many more hours, so they just cancelled.

I probably got 1 1/2 to 2" of rain, but to the south I'm sure many places got 3 or 4" of rain. There's a slight chance for more this morning, but by late this afternoon it's more like a 70% chance of the same thing happening again. And long range it shows better then a 50% chance for rain all the way to next Friday.

Glad I live on high ground.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM

We have been rain-free for several days now, but it was 34 F. this morning. I have heated two greenhouses the last two nights, but I suspect we will soon pick everything and be done with it for the year. I have to get the garage cleaned out for winter, as wife parks her car in there during the cold weather. We used to get two vehicles and a small garden tractor in there, but there are too many shelves and such in there now. Got the pressure tank for the well replaced a couple days ago. It was 42 years old, rusty and threatening to perforate. The fittings were already leaking. The septic tank of the same age was replaced by a friend last summer, so I think I am set for utilities to the end of my days, I want to have as much ready as I can, so my wife will have less to worry about should I pass.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Had a little off and on rain yesterday, then about 9 last night it started raining lightly but steady, and kept it up all night. Weatherman last night said 80% chance today, so it looks like some more.

As I mentioned before, pretty good chances all week, and now I see the gulf's hurricane should be near the southern Nebraska border by the weekend, which I assume will bring even more rain.

Doesn't look like I will be getting too much done outside for a while.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:05 PM

Down to freezing yesterday--32 F. Nothing seems to be frozen, but the beans look a little bad. We have been heating the two greenhouses we have that have heat just in case. This morning is in the 40s F. and sunny. We often gat a nice "Indian Summer" in September, so perhaps this is it. We are burning brush piles and now have to fell more trees.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 AM

Today was unique to say the least. Cold this morning, near 0C. Whip cream fog all over the bush. Not just over the lake, but all over. Couldn't see more than 20 meters across the yard, down the driveway. About 40 meters to the big night light. It was only a bright blur in the fog. Highway was dry as it is a bit warmer yet so visibility was about 50 meters at best. Was eerie going into town. As we started down the mountain to the river valley there was a kind of clear space between the fog on top of the plateau and the fog in the river valley of town. Spooky to say the least. Tonight it is clear and down to 1C already. When there is a skim of ice on the outside dog water dish, then it is official first frost. Calendar says first frost can be expected by the 11th to 15th of the month here.

Sweetie has been feeding pea vines to the rabbits as they have quit producing but still green enough the bunnies approve.

Took books for the "take a book" library at the tourist center and passenger train station. A paperwork appointment, thrift store, short stop at the hardware, gas, gallon of milk then home.

We are still busy to our ears processing apples into bunny treats.

Forest fire evacuees have all returned home. Fires not out, but under control.

GRIZZLY ALERT.....
Talked to the honey bee and hay neighbor. He said a week or bit more ago he delivered a load of hay to a neighbor about 4-5 kilometer from us. Customer wasn't home so he dropped hay where it goes. Messed around a bit with the truck and trailer, and went home. Customer called later to tell him the trail camera pointing that way shows a sow grizzly and one if not 2 cubs back into the woods away from where he was, and come out to investigate the hay after he left.

First report of a grizzly we heard since 2 summers ago of a confirmed sighting then. Too close for my comfort.