Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default May on the Homestead

Can't believe it's already May!

So much to do and time is flying!

Finally got the grass cut in front of the house yesterday. Was beginning to look like an abandoned house.

Did some more picking up of the small stuff left in the garden area from having the brush removed. Hope a neighbor will be able to run a subsoiler over it this week before it's plowed. Big time hankering to get the garden planted. Timing is just about right for most of the things I want to plant.

Tractor's been "maintenanced" with new oil, filters, plugs, greased, tires inflated, etc. Just a waiting to run some rows. It's a Farmall Super A. Not large enough to do the tilling needed to get the garden ready for planting.

Hope to make progress in the next few days on the goat house to chicken coop conversion.

What ya doing?

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Master Pontificator

Hmm. Where to start. I have two more rolls of roofing to lay down. Need to build a door for chicken coop. Got 4 more goats coming today. Adding a couple more pasture spots to fence for grazing. Have to board up a broke window (long story). And I need to definitly finish the garden. Oh and the yard could use serious work too.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Damned Bull escaped Thursday. He discovered that there were some heifers in the next pasture, and broke a fence post and left hair so we knew whose pasture he was in. Since it covers abt 300 acres, and they have about 200 cows, it was hard work trying to single him out from all of their cows and calves (he's half the neighbor's cows' height, but still a black bull in with mostly black cows and calves is hard to spot). Finally found him, and the neighbors were kind enough to get their horses and rope him to put him in their trailer and bring him home for us. He is now restricted to the corral of wood fencing til we get the electrical wire today. And even after, maybe. At least we now know he isn't gay, which is a great comfort to us.

Well, I took the neighbors to the local bar to thank them, and we had a good time getting to know each other. The upshot of the evening is that they have two Australian Shepherd pups that they don't have time to train (EVERYone has Aussies here) and will give us one to get rid of it. So now I get to train a real 'cow dog'.

Thinking that there is a need to get a brand and brand our cattle now; just to be able to tell them at a distance. Sad but true. "Brandings" here are huge social events; of course, we (as DH said) have so few cattle that ours would be more like a brunch. But we could at least have an excuse for a Southern mustard-sauce barbecue...

Off to town to get the solar-powered electrical wire and look at washers and dryers... then back home to put in my flowers. It. NEVER. Ends. Thank goodness!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
At least we now know he isn't gay, which is a great comfort to us.
Thanks for the morning gut laugh Wiley......At least it got Lynn and the dog up finally, I couldn't help it, that was funny.

Planting all of the direct seeded stuff today as well as making more tomato cages. Man did the wire go up in a year. Last year I bought 5 sheets of the 10ga. 5' X 10' concrete wire for $28 that made 10 cages. This year the sheets are $8.50 ea.!!!
Still a great deal, considering you get two cages from each sheet, and they last many many years, but I am not leaving these behind when we move to NH. Even though they are bulky, I will bring them up a few at a time when we are going back and forth.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 PM

One third of 2010 gone already!!! No wonder I think I do not have time to go back to work! LOL
I've been playing catch up here, but today may be a good day to take a break.So far we have gotten 6" of rain in the last 6 hours. I don't think the rain is going to stop today!
The garden has been expanded and everything is doing well. The yard work is endless this time of year, but it looks so nice when it is all cleaned up.
There has been more fence installed in the chicken/garden area.
I moved the chicks out to the chicken house thursday, since the temps are a bit more stable for the time. They have been in a big box in the extra bathroom so far. They were starting to be entertaining and the chick fluff was starting to fly, so it was time to get into their house. I moved box and all, so it would not be too much of a shock. I'm not sure what goes on in a chicken's mind when they experience their first big storm, but they seem to be fine this morning.

Picked the first strawberries of the season yesterday!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD
We have also been eating fresh Tom Thumb lettuce and asparagus.

I enjoy reading this forum, but when you don't visit regular enough it sure takes a while to catch up.

Wiley,
Seems you have some good neighbor. I hope your bull did not have time to give them any short cows. LOL Congrats on the new pup.

Hope everyone is doing well!

SPIKE
Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Last night we laid soaker hose around the tomatos then mulched over the top of it. We are going to do the same around the bell peppers today. Once the direct seeded plants come up we will do the same around them. My hope is that in the summer heat watering will be cut down and the roots will stay cooler. Although it's may first and we got down to 38 degrees last night and will only get to the mid 60's today.... I live in Southern Arizona it's supposed to be in the mid 90's this time of year not the high 60's.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

(giggle'n) I'm SO glad I stopped in to chek on this thread am laff'n over short kows an brand'n brunches haha.. Congratulations, Wiley, on yur new kowdog an I hope ya'll enjoy your new lil helper..

Everbody is doing so great!

Be Strong
~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Wow did april come and go fast or what?

I've been on vacation this past week so I got a bit done here.Rhubarb is doing well,blueberries might make it if I'm lucky..the grapes,we'll see,planted two more of them today,along with 7 raspberry sprouts from around the yard(yesterday).I still have another 50+ strawberry plants,I know I can't find spots for that many,so will be sahring the extras.

Decided I need to have friend Lyle come back and till up at least one more garden bed,he said he could for the fuel to do it.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM

It was very warm here today. Worked inside during the heat of the day but got two raised beds built, and filled one with strawberries. Planted the herbs in the herb raised beds and got netting up to keep the animals out of them. My order of walnuts, chestnuts, butternuts, kiwi, autumn Olive, highbush cranberry, and mulberry arrived! Now lots more work - the driveway looks like a mini nursery. The plants were from One Green World and came in perfect condition. The trees are four feet tall and very healthy.

Another hot day tomorrow so we'll need to start planting early. Need to build one more raised bed also. THen the plants I started inside need to go outside. It's going to be a very busy month getting everything in the ground.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Master Pontificator

Sounds like everyone is very busy! I wish I could get some of y'alls cooler temperatures down here. Today was in the upper 80's, but the humidity was almost 90% so it was wretched. We made it to May 1 this year before turning on the air conditioner. For around here, that's actually pretty good. We could go another couple of weeks, but it definitely makes me able to work longer, harder outdoors when I can come inside an cool off every now and then.

DH and I went to the deer lease today and dug some small wax myrtles, a farkleberry, a couple of buckthorns, a couple of halberd leaf hibiscus and some really pretty blue salvia of some kind, have yet to i.d. it. Dug some clumps and they didn't even wilt. Brought them home and planted. No-cost native plants (except for fuel). Next time I go I'm going to get some wild violets and ebony spleenwort.

Found some mayhaw trees on the lease too, the fruit were ripe so we picked about two cups. Didn't want to rob the wildlife of the fruit. Not going to make jelly, but instead got them for the seed so I can start seedlings.

The dewberries there are starting to ripen and had a really good taste. Blackberries are just little hard, green pea sized things right now, maybe a few more weeks.

Came home and found one of my silkies has hatched another fostered Auracauna egg and a duck egg. That tiny duckling sure looks funny sticking it's little head out from under the silkie.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 PM

I can't believe May is finally here! I'm so glad winter is over for us!

We've spent the last 2 weeks trying to whip the yard, chicken yard, orchard, and raised beds into shape, as well as building a new raised bed and 4 square foot garden beds. The cole vegetables are doing well in the SFG beds and the herbs in the raised beds have really taken off in the past few days. If this is any indication of how summer is going to be, we should have our best garden ever.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, hubby will plow the gardens and we can get to planting the seeds and setting out the tomatoes, luffa, and peppers I started in April. Then it'll be on!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM

We're supposed to have record breaking heat here today. Said it could hit the mid 90's. ouch! I ain't ready for that, yet.

Hoping everyone to the west of NC are OK. Saw in the news all the flooding and warnings for high potential for severe weather. Also saw some of the destruction where they've already occurred. Prayers that all are safe.

The front should be here Monday afternoon. Risk factor is supposed to be less by then, and maybe we'll get some much needed rain. Last couple of fronts have fizzled out by the time they reached us.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Spent the day stringing fence wire for the vegi garden. When it came down to it, it didn't get enlarged this year. Oh well, that's ok, now in a month I will just have to figure out where to put my tomatoes, egg plant, and peppers in. DH has a few more posts to put in today and then we are done-minus the gates.

With this last stint of warmer weather-actually made it to 70-my lettuce and potatoes are up-see the first signs of my spinach also. Things are really taking off inside the cold frame. I have ALOT of tomato plants! Might have to share some!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Our first potatoes came up this week, just a few poking a couple leaves out. Lots of rain this weekend, so when it warms up again, I expect they will all be up soon. I put out 30 tomato plants and 6 green peppers a couple days ago that are looking good now. We still have a bunch of cabbage and cauliflower plants in pots that are a bit small to put in the garden yet, but have a dozen bigger ones up and growing along with a short row of peas and lots of onions.

Last Fall, I sowed winter wheat in the 3 big gardens and had almost no weeds out there when I plowed it under this Spring. I hope that helps both the fertility and the weed situation. Like normal, I picked up a lot of rocks after tilling, but what I'm finding are smaller now, and fewer. Maybe eventually I can get the ground in shape. I have 3 tons of horse manure composting in a pile for later use between rows. Last year's application of that made a difference in the 2 newer areas that have only been gardened for 1 and 3 years respectively. Each year it gets better.

Last edited by patience; 05-02-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Patience,hopefully that will be the case with our gardens too(getting better).Been getting softball sized and larger rocks....I'm thinking it will take a few years to get the soil in good shape to produce a good harvest.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLee View Post
We're supposed to have record breaking heat here today. Said it could hit the mid 90's. ouch! I ain't ready for that, yet.
It was 88 here yesterday, I just about melted spreading compost and planting beans, still more to go today.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:49 PM

So glad my TIC post could give everyone a smile this weekend! It was kinda funny for us - afterward! Just glad we have neighbors with senses of humor, too! If there are any 'short calves' out of PoinDexter's escapades, we have agreed on a barbeque. If they are Heifers, though, I might buy the Dangus crosses from 'em...

One nice thing about living across the time zone line from the stores is that we can get up at 6, be in the car by 7, be in town before 8, and be back home before 10 - because all of the stores are an hour ahead of us. We got the extenders for the solar-powered electrical fence, and DH strung it all day yesterday. We have more wire than we have extenders so I have to go get more today. The base will supposedly charge 10 miles of wire; we bought 1/4 of a mile of it and still have half-a-roll and just the sides of the pasture fence to go. We are charging the base station right now; it takes 3 days according to the box, so we have a little time.

The funny thing yesterday was that we shooed everyone except PoinDexter the bull out of the corral to go out and play in the pasture. Grace the horse and the cows and calf got MAD. They apparently thought that Poin was getting special privileges, and DEMANDED to be let back in. This AM all went out except Poin and Pauline, our going-to-calve-someday cow. Crazy lil family...

Some adorable little neighbor girls were out walking their new dog and brought me a handful of yellow and red tulips that had bloomed. I gave them a half-dozen chocolate chip cookies. A lovely morning!

The wind here was horrific yesterday; a steady 30 mph all day. We barely got up to 60 degrees. It dries everything out so badly, and is no fun to plant in, with the sand blowing around! I had to take a shower last night and SCRUB to get the embedded grit out of my hair and pores. It is going to be milder today, winds around 10-15, which is common. Storms predicted for later this afternoon. They blow up quickly here and blow away just as fast. I have a friend in TN who just signed on to FB this AM, she was under tornado warnings all night and has gotten 12 inches of rain since yesterday AM - and it is STILL coming down, no letup. Scary stuff. I hope everyone on here is OK...
Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Yesterday was Desert Broom, Cactus and Cat Claw day. My wife and I covered the property and cut out all those plants that sprouted up, before they got big. We This took about half a truckload. The other half we cut down a small hedge of oleanders that had become over grown around the back of the garden. We now have access to allow us to plant peppers in some additional raised bed areas.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Transplanted a 30 ft. row of Iris this morning, and put it along the board fence we built a fw weeks back. Still have a big clump of them in the wrong place, but I got rained out. Oh well, I was tired anyway. Puddles everywhere today, and more rain all day and through tomorrow.

DD had to put down her old Rottweiller Friday. He had inoperable bone cancer in a hind leg. The vet only gave him 2 weeks to live, but that was over a month ago. It had gotten to where he was hurting and unable to sleep, almost couldn't get around at all. DD and her DH had been giving him pain meds for several days, so he could get some sleep. They just gave him some extra meds to knock him out and did the deed.

They have a new Rott, young and a really great guy, but they all miss old Buster. Even the Cockatoo keeps asking, "Buster?" The bird knows he's gone, just saying she misses him. I miss him too.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Default May

May sure started out with a bang around here! We have not gotten the flooding that was predicted, but its all aroundus. Spent most of yesterday hiding under the house from tornadoes. High wind and hail have ripped a lot of our plants to shreds. But, we've only gotten maybe a half inch of rain. I'm so grateful we have not received what others have.
My sister lives in Nashville, and had taken her girls and their girl scout troop to a weekend camp on Friday. Saturday they evacuated the camp. (tried to evacuate). My sister and her troop didn't make it out in time and are stuck there. They are now waiting on the National Guard to come and get them and take them to nearby Ashland City. She still doesn't know if she can get from Ashland city to home.
It is just black as night here now.
Hope all is well with everyone. Shannon