BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Default New member here

Hi I am newly admitted to this forum. I have been reading this forum for a few months now. I live in Johnson County Arkansas on 20 acres just a shotgun shot distance from the Ozark National Forrest. It is a big briar patch right now but I recently got a '55 farmall cub going so now I've got a sizeable garden in the ground or just coming up really. I am terrible at getting caught up in survivalist type of thinking, but I figure if nothing else happens I'll raise my kids on home grown vegtables, eggs, chicken, well water, and whatever other protein I can raise on the place. The wife and I make homemade jam from the local berries from the pay as you pick orchard. I am looking forward to canning up the garden stuff. Well nuff bout me, I am going down the list reading from some of my favorite members on this forum.
Dave
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Passed On

Welcome! Dive right in. Don't sweat the survivalist thinking - sounds like you're going to wind up there just doing what you're doing. I'm two rivers east of you in Tennessee (waves towards Arkansas) and doing pretty much the same thing.

Regards
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome from the other side. Our family has the same philosophy we have a bit over 7 acres on one place and 3 across the road. We do goats, chickens garden and building our house as we go.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Welcome David and congrats on your garden! We have had snow in the last week so I am not even trying yet. (I do have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers that are 5" or higher inside tho'.) Found out there are excessive pesticides applied using aerial methods here so a garden is difficult, but I am going to try again!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome!

I'm not keen on the "survivalist" attitude -- survival implies doing just enough to keep alive. Remember - some members of the Donner Party were survivors, some weren't.

What I love about the Backwoods Home mind set is the lifestyle that embraces personal responsibility, wise choices and prudent investments of time, money and resources. That's a lifestyle worth pursuing and much more gratifying that mere survival.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Welcome!

I'm not keen on the "survivalist" attitude -- survival implies doing just enough to keep alive. Remember - some members of the Donner Party were survivors, some weren't.
That's why I corn-feed my neighbors. when the shtf they'll be delicious