Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Mole Control

Folks, Though we haven't ground hogs move in...yet, our yard seems to draw moles like crazy. They particularly seem to like the various bulbs I've planted, as will often have tulips/daffodils one year, one to two years later, they're gone. We've always had them in and around our small grape arbor, and believe they took out @ least two of our grapes, now they are getting closer to our newly established asparagus patch and garden plot. We've tried the spear mole traps, with poor results, tried to drown the little buggers with the old water hose in the tunnel, that didn't work, either.

We do however 'grow' gobs of grubs, but, don't want to use the chemical treatments to decrease their population, as don't want to risk contaminating our food-growing ground. Sure would appreciate any suggestions y'all know of to get rid of these underground predators. It's gotten to the point, the local dogs, strays too, come to our yard now and then, to dig them up (so far, the little doxy has the highest mole-count, that we know of!), but even that isn't making a dent in the population.

Thanking you in advance, for any and all advice,

Gracie

Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Try putting Juicy Fruit gum down their holes. It worked for my sister.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Ditto what junie said. I've heard that chocolate ex-lax works as does a cotton ball soaked in peppermint oil. You would stuff these in the burrow line where you see the dirt thrown out in mounds. BTW if you got moles, you probally got voles too. they make use of the mole tunnels and are destructive in them selves. Also, stomp down any side tunnels you can see, but leave the poisoned ones for them to run. The peppermint will chase them out, but the ex-lax kills em'. If you have dirt piles above ground, theres moles involved. If you just have tunnels slightly below gound, thats voles in action.Happy hunting!lol!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM

If ammonia works for ground hogs, suspect it'll work fine for your visitors, too. Might be worth a try, anyway. Just use a funnel and pour a little in the runs.

We see them around here once in a while, but so far, the population is so small they don't pose a problem. See the tunnels maybe once or twice a year.

Just 2-cents. Good luck with solving the problem.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Smile Ladies, Thank You

I sure do appreciate your suggestions...will start with the gum, watch for it's effectiveness, if it works, that would be great, if not will go to another 'Mole-Rid-X' idea...it's really nice to have more than one option, Tx's again.

Gracie
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Master Pontificator

What about a rodenator jr. but i like the big boy. Here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdky...eature=related
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Master Pontificator

You say you have gobs of grub. I have been told that that is why we have moles. They love grubs.

The only substantiated report I have heard around here about getting rid of moles is a guy that used Castor plants. According to the local feed/hardware/greenhouse, he basically surrounded his house with Castor plants and moved them out a few feet every year or so. Yes, it took him a while to get rid of them.

We are having trouble with the levee around our pond because of the moles. We have tried the sonic mole chaser with solar panel on top... the mole tunnel went right up next to the stake.

We have tried Juicy Fruit but our local moles were not interested. Maybe we will try the chocolate x-lax and the ammonia. We have a couple of acres so we can try both and see which works.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Mr. Green Jeans ~ The Rodenter Jr. would be just the thing, only problem is am afraid DH would like it so well, he'd be ka-booming the whole yard LOL, he really enjoys gadgets, shoot, he'd probably de-mole all the neighbors yards, too. Tx.s do appreciate the suggestion.

Scrubbie Lady ~ Tx.s for the suggestion of the Castor plant, we have a little doxie that adopted us and now is in-yard & in-house 24/7. She loves to dig & chew on just about anything. I've heard the Castor plant is poisonous, am concerned that should she chew on the leaves/plant, that would be the end of our little buddy. Still appreciate the response.

Actually, out mole population has decreased, or they are digging deeper, ashaven't seen signs of new burroughing. The neighbor said he say the little doxy, proudly trotting out of our yard with a dead mole in her mouth several days ago. Think she might be helping rid us of the digging devils.

Gracie
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Dachshunds were bred for hunting badgers, so moles shouldn't be a problem for your little buddy. She might even enjoy the sport.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 PM

You have to sit and watch the ground when they are thick. If you spend enough time watching, you can eventually see one moving dirt and tunneling. Then take a spade and chop downward. Sometimes you can simply catch them quickly with the shovel and toss the dirt to unsurface the mole(s). Dogs likes to grab them and dispose of them if you can flip them up quickly enough, but usually, you have to chop them with a spade or scraping blade, hoe, etc. Then you can dig them up to give to the cat, dog, chickens, etc.

In the past,my grandfather and hubby's dad would have great fun hillbilly mole-hunting with shovels. It must be a midwest sport using sharpened spades on a lazy Sunday afternoon/early evening because it is how many people control them. Fortunately, our big male pyr has taken to mole hunting, so we haven't had a problem with them for a few years, just deep holes that you have to refill.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM

check this link to identify what you have. Folks often say mole, when they mean vole. Moles and voles are not even related. Moles eat grubs and worms, voles are vegetarians.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/pest...difference.htm

We have had our share of trouble with voles and we find they are difficult to catch. I spent more money on diverse traps that did not work. I read about the beechnut gum long time ago,I understand it is a hard way to go for the critter. One section of our lawn was just riddlied with vole holses . DH stuffed up some holes, used some kleenex and diesel to put in holes, added a dab of gasoline and went with a torch from hole to hole. I could not believe the mini detonation it set off. I thought I was standing by the side but could feel sort of a lifting under my feet. One vole flew out of a hole more than a foot high. I killed it with a hoe. that was the end of them for a long time. I too have bought expensive tulip bulbs and the voles ate them. In a new section of flower garden, they ate everything I planted last year.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Master Pontificator

Talked to a neghibor testerday and they planted what's called dogtick plant, it's told to run moles and voles off. Not sure why everybody say's it work's. Something to try beside's the castor and i,am gona make me a rodenator jr. soon. ;D
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM

If dog tick is what I think it is, it won't work. Hurry up on that rodenator. Boy do I want one. Blast them fast and get rid of them. we have to do something. Lost three fruit trees.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Junie ~ I'd heard that about the doxys before, guess should be thankful we only have moles, and no badgers.

Momma_to_Seven_Chi. ~ Appreciate knowing, you can get those little devils with a shovel too.

Bookwormom ~ I checked out the site, and believe what we have is moles, @ least that's what the neighbor said the doxy carried off. Sorry to hear about your tulips, flower garden and fruit trees, that is a shame. By chance have you contacted your county ag. extension, to see if they have any suggestions on how to get rid of these destructive critters? Do hope you find a solution soon!

Mr. Green Jeans ~ Tx.s for the dogtick plant suggestion, and good luck with building a rodenator, heck, I like gadgets too (mostly for the kitchen though!). After you get it made would ya' post a picture of it, and tell us how it works for you?

Gracie
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Turn on the weed burner and put it in the hole, wait a few min and light it, when the lit burner gets close things go bang.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Hook up something like a vacuum hose to the exhaust of riding lawn mower or automobile exhaust pipe, stuff the other end down the mole/vole hole and turn the motor on - they die from carbon monoxide.