BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Which card?

I need to get a secured credit card. I've searched and searched. There's so many of them I don't know which to choose. I can't find any that have no fees. Anyone know of one that...

-reports to all 3 credit bureaus
-has no set up fee
-has no annual fee
-requires $200 deposit (or $300 if I have to go that high)

My bank charges a $35 annual fee on theirs. I hate to have to pay that if I don't have to. Hoping someone on the forum knows of a better one.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Inactive Member

Credit card companies will make money off of you, one way or another. That's part of living a life with credit for those that think they need credit. lol

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Check with a credit Union. Mine charges nothing for my visa credit card and in fact pays me to use it.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
Credit card companies will make money off of you, one way or another. That's part of living a life with credit for those that think they need credit. lol

Good luck,
Paul
That's just NOT true in every case...

The two cards i use, make their money off the folks that sell me the product, my cards COST ME NOTHING!

In fact, my Cabela's card gives ME a small % of every sale, in the form of a credit at Cabela's EVERY time i use it... I have 55 bucks credit built up at Cabela's right now, that i can use at any time for anything i want that they sell...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 AM

I agree about the Cabelas card. I pay bills with it in order to rack up points for ammo and other important stuff.

In our area, we have QT gas stations and currently, I get 10 cents off per gallon at the pump when I use their debit card. I like the debit card because it let's me purchase stuff like a cc (when a merchant doesn't accept debits) and it drafts it straight out of my bank account.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Master Pontificator

My main reason for getting it is I need to build the credit report to get a usda loan. The house behind me is for sale and it would be cheaper for me to buy that than fix this one. It's hooked right to the back yard so I'd still have my yard plus a little extra from that yard and where this house is (I'll eventually have to tear it down).
Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 AM

Credit union $5 membership and a CD that secures a credit card - no fees 13% interest.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keydl View Post
Credit union $5 membership and a CD that secures a credit card - no fees 13% interest.
Do the credit unions report to the credit bureas monthly? I just found out that some don't report at all and that my bank one only reports every 6 months. I thought they all reported regularly. Learned something new.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 AM

They probably will if you ask, mine has been surprised when I asked for services that are common in small banks, but accommodating. The services come with a high price in the large banks.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Master Pontificator

I went with capital one. No setup fee, $24 annual fee and $200 deposit. 19% interest. The best one I could find for now. They report monthly to the credit bureas. I got approved and sent in my $200. They have a tracking system to that I can follow my scores for free and I think find ways to help improve it, some little extra thing they do. Now I'm just waiting for the card so I can go charge something.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Master Pontificator

I've got AmEx through Costco. Costco has their annual fee, but none for the card and I get 3% back on fuel, which is usually 15 cents a gallon less than any other station.

But, the thing I like the most is they are ALWAYS on the card holders side when there's a dispute. At least they have been with me. I don't argue about purchases anymore, trying to make a return or get my money back on defective shipments. I just call AmEx and they take it off my statement and deal with the vendor.