Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Question about articles

I was wondering if there are a series of articles in back issues of BHM that show a 'city minded' person, how to 'plan and prepare'?

Let's say I have lived a "typical" consumer lifestyle.
I go to the grocery 6x a week. There's nothing in the pantry. No freezer, no canned goods, 4 rolls of toilet paper in the house with 3 bathrooms....
I don't use coupons, I dine out a lot, I believe what the news tells me, and on and on...
But now things are lookin' shaky, and I have a friend, neighbor, co-worker, that is 'more prepared'. I am curious how they got started. I stand in awe of where they are. However, it is so overwhelming, I don't try because I am not sure where to start?

Is there such a series of articles that walks one from the first step of how to get started, to more advanced things?

I would order those in a heart beat!
I have a couple of co-workers that have an 'idea' of what's going on (both served in the Army, recently) but don't really have 'clear cut direction' on which way to go. I also have a gf that I would love to 'introduce' a new way of thinking!

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Default Food Storage beginner Article

Start your food storage
on $10 a week

By Alan T. Hagan ...

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/hagan59.html

This article is very good for beginners, it is a 4 week plan on starting a pantry >> see if this type of thing is what you are looking for. It is mostly about starting a pantry.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Laura, more than anything else, it's simply a matter of making up one's mind to get started. In almost every facet of life these days there's something that can be done, almost every day.

Look around your home and ask yourself a question. Doesn't matter which room, what time of day, or what you're doing. The question is "what would I do if..............?" The .......... is whatever is applicable to the situation.

What if the light switch doesn't work?
What if the electric stove doesn't work?
What if there's no water and/or no hot water?
What if there's no toilet paper?
What if the electric can opener doesn't work?

The list can go on for a long time. However, if you develop a mindset of "I'm going to get the answers, AS THESE QUESTIONS ARISE, then you'll start finding those answers, one at a time, that's applicable to your own situation.

A good place to start is with the Articles link on the left side of this forum. Since I joined BWH, I've just about worn out that link. Reading/studying applicable articles, as I've asked myself various questions, applicable to my own set of circumstances.

Personally, I believe it's an on-going process. IMHO, there's no one book or series of articles that cover all the bases. It's like a one-size-fits-all poncho. Yes, it'll cover most people, but won't actually "fit" them. Just as people vary in size, so do people vary in their circumstances.

Thus, it's an on-going process to tailor lists, articles, books, and even replies here to get the best "fit" for us individually.

Roll up your sleeves. Click on that articles link. Click on one that applies to your first question that you've asked yourself today. Read and gleen from it what's applicable to your "fit". If the first article fits, that's great. It not, choose another one. May take 2 or 3 to get the pieces that make it fit for you.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer that you were seeking. Sincerely hope, however, that it will help you to move further along the path of being more prepared and self-reliant today than you were yesterday.

Set yourself a goal: I'm going to do what I can today to be more prepared tomorrow for what the future may bring.

Even if it's only adding one more can of beans to the pantry, today, you've met your goal for the day.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Hmmmm.
I guess I will start a new thread!!
Thanks for the answers!!