BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum News & Announcements

Forum News & Announcements Where we'll post permanent messages for all members.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default Forum Revisions

After much conversation and consideration, Backwoods Home has decided to make some changes to the Forum. These changes will be implemented in the next week or so, when I can block a few hours to take the Forum offline.

The first change will make the Forum easier to navigate by drastically cutting how much scrolling you'll have to do to reach your favorite boards. For example, the Food section currently takes up five lines, like this:

We'll turn the "Other Food-related issues into the main "Food" board with the others as sub-boards, which will look like this on the new main Forum page:

As you can see, all four boards are still accessible from the main page, the "new messages" icons are preserved, and four lines of scrolling are eliminated.

We plan to similarly consolidate the other areas and turn 72 lines of scrolling into just 34!

The second change
involves the creation of a new "Extended Access" section that will contain the three political boards, the Lifestyles and Singles boards, and a new Adult Humor board. The existing Humor board will be for G and PG rated humor only.

Once created, it will be visible only to Confirmed members and will require a separate Group membership to access and post. The Group will be freely available to any Confirmed, adult member who requests access via their Member CP>>Networking>>Group Memberships.

Why are we segregating certain boards like this? For several reasons.

First, the Forum's main focus is Homesteading and Self-reliance. We want to attract new members who are primarily interested in those subjects. Since the "Extended Access" section will not be visible to Guests or to New Members until they are Confirmed, we'll not be attracting folks who only want to argue politics and such. But, since political awareness is an important aspect of self-reliance, the boards will still be there for members who want to participate in them.

Second, the Forum does have younger members and certain boards are really not appropriate viewing for them. Moving them into the restricted section will eliminate any worry that they might be accessing content inappropriate for their age group.

Third, because the section will now be restricted to adults who have requested access, we will be able to slightly - I repeat, slightly relax the language and posting rules to allow for civil adult interaction.

Fourth, it will allow us to quickly and easily remove access to just that area from anyone who proves incapable of following the rules.

It's our hope these changes will enhance the Forum for those who want to focus primarily on self-reliance, homesteading, and how-to while at the same time providing an area for those whose interests include politics and more adult-oriented topics.

I'll try to post a notice at the top of the Forum on the day before the Forum will be offline for the changes.

Comments and questions in this thread are welcome. Please note that I will answer questions by editing the post with the question, so if you ask one, look for the answer there.

Thanks!

Oliver
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Oliver, I haven't had a lot of time to spend online or on the forum lately. I'm also not one for change. I enjoy the whole board as is. The changes sounds like they will probably make the political area unpalatable as that area gets snippy at times as it is. Are you trying to force those folks who spend time in both areas out of the bottom 3?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoneRider View Post
Oliver, I haven't had a lot of time to spend online or on the forum lately. I'm also not one for change. I enjoy the whole board as is. The changes sounds like they will probably make the political area unpalatable as that area gets snippy at times as it is. Are you trying to force those folks who spend time in both areas out of the bottom 3?
No Arizona just putting that red headed step child in its place is all.

QGM
Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Oliver,

They look good to me with one exception:

" slightly relax the language and posting rules to allow for civil adult interaction"

I hope it is very very very slightly. I see no reason that adults can not have a decent disucssion without reverting to foul language an name calling... I think your exisiting rules of decorum are fine. We all slip sometimes but should be called out on it.
If anyone has been on some other forums ....well they ain't nice and it is a pleasure to have this one..

mo
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM

As a fellow forum owner, I can certainly appreciate the changes and their necessity. Sounds good.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Passed On

Doesn't matter to me. Since I am IT challenged, it will take me a while to learn how to navigate it again, but it sounds like it should be easier?? I dunno. I'm sure that is the intent, anyway.

Not to worry. Navigation will be easier since all related boards appear on one line in the Forum home page and at the top of the page once you're in a section. ~Oliver
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all your hard work Oliver! I'm sure the changes will make the forum easier for those tech challenged to use.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM

I was wondering if these changes were still going to happen since it's been longer than a week or so. I think it will make things much easier.... I'm lazy and hate scrolling, lol!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, the changes are still coming. When is the question.

As usually happens when I try to schedule a whole day to do something (just in case problems arise), everyone decides they need things done yesterday.

As it stands now, unless a miracle happens, Nov 10 is the first full day I have open. I'd appreciate everyone keeping their fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Oliver
Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Looks like it, but to double check... will the links to "New Posts", "New Personal", and "New Political" still be there? I really like reading the board via those links.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOBear View Post
Looks like it, but to double check... will the links to "New Posts", "New Personal", and "New Political" still be there? I really like reading the board via those links.
New Posts and New Personal should remain. New Political might become New Enhanced or something. I'm not sure yet. It depends on what I can manage for filters since they should only be seen by Confirmed members who've elected to participate in those boards.

Oliver