BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Employer won't pay me

Well, long story short. I got a job about 3 weeks ago. I got my first paycheck for $160 for 20 hours of work. This past two weeks she wouldn't give me hardly anything to do, I squeezed in 20 hours for 2 weeks work. She emails me and says, "I'll pay you for 10 hours". I emailed back and said "no, you'll pay me for 20 hours, what I worked". So she sends me a nasty email, tells me I'm emotionally off, don't take care of my animals, and am involved in a lawsuit, so she's not going to pay me anything, she's decided she wants to take legal action against me! How do I find these jobs???!!! Anyone ever run into this situation before? All I want from her is my $160 and never to see her again. I tried to do a good job for her and this is what I get! Anything I can do to make her pay me? I really need the money to pay my bills or I'd just say forget it. I noticed she goes thru ALOT of employees.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post
Well, long story short. I got a job about 3 weeks ago. I got my first paycheck for $160 for 20 hours of work. This past two weeks she wouldn't give me hardly anything to do, I squeezed in 20 hours for 2 weeks work. She emails me and says, "I'll pay you for 10 hours". I emailed back and said "no, you'll pay me for 20 hours, what I worked". So she sends me a nasty email, tells me I'm emotionally off, don't take care of my animals, and am involved in a lawsuit, so she's not going to pay me anything, she's decided she wants to take legal action against me! How do I find these jobs???!!! Anyone ever run into this situation before? All I want from her is my $160 and never to see her again. I tried to do a good job for her and this is what I get! Anything I can do to make her pay me? I really need the money to pay my bills or I'd just say forget it. I noticed she goes thru ALOT of employees.
Take her to small claims court.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post
If you don't have a time card or some other paper showing time worked chalk it up to experience. If you where working privately did you have a contract for service if not chalk it up to experience.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 AM

You might try filling out a complaint with your state Labor board. If she ignores it, you probably won't get anything without proof, but it might scare her into settling up with you.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Inactive Member

Save those emails! They are proof that she agreed you had worked 20 hours, if there are no time cards. The US Dept of Labor will intervene for you. Contact them and file a complaint. They will look into it and if they find that she owed you the money, they will get it and quickly. They don't mess around when it comes to this.

Paul
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM

call the district attorney's office in the county where you worked. Most of them will have a consumers representative that will mediate something like this. Usually they will first call this person to get them to pay you and this usually is enough.
kent
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
Save those emails! They are proof that she agreed you had worked 20 hours, if there are no time cards. The US Dept of Labor will intervene for you. Contact them and file a complaint. They will look into it and if they find that she owed you the money, they will get it and quickly. They don't mess around when it comes to this.

Paul
They might be listed as Federal Wage and Hour and will be in a large city in your area. At least that is how it is around here. Make sure you stay in contact with them. If it isn't resolved in a certain period of time (1-2 years I think, you are out of luck).

You need whatever you have written to prove you worked. You say she goes through a lot of employees. Do you know any of them well enought to find out if she did this to other people?

If you are thinking of filing a small claims case, make sure you know the time frames in your state. If you wait too long, they will dismiss the case.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Master Pontificator

In our area we have the Labor Relations Board. It's the place employees can go to get help with employers who wont pay for time worked, over-time, unfair labor practices, stuff like that. See if your area has such a dept, they should be able to help, cause at least in CA it's illegal for an employer NOT to pay an employee for time worked.

I had to use them several years ago when a new boss kept keeping me after hours for little things. At first it was no big deal, 15-30 minutes here and there, but when it became an everyday occurance and on weekends I asked to be paid overtime for those hours and she said no. Needless to say I got my pay. Employers tend to listen when a state rep calls.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Please, please report her to the state! If she's calling you "emotionally off" in an email that is slander more than likely and highly illeagle. Print out those emails, hope you have a copy of yours to her, and also put them on a flash drive or burn them on a CD so if your computer goes bottoms up you still have them.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Master Pontificator

I just sent an email off to the wage and hour division (state) so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully she will have to pay me. This is so ridiculous to have to go thru a major ordeal to get paid. This time around I'm going to regular businesses like pizza hut and those sort of things. This woman has a 501c3 too. Not much of a nonprofit organization. Giving herself a bad name.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Any updates?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Any updates?
Well, I got the papers from labor and wages but decided to let it go. The money came back around in other ways and it was more than what I would have got from her so I took that as a payment instead.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 PM

As long as you are satisfied,then!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM

If she is supposed to be a non-profit, the IRS might be interested in knowing that she is not paying her help. As in where is the money going then.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Ya Know...

Its nice the money came back around to you--but still--even if she had a bone to pick with you in some way--if you worked 20 you should get paid for 20. If she didn't like how you worked or something she could well have sent you home after 10. Wish you'd think about filling the paper out. $ doesn't grow on trees.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Default pay

If she is not paying you then she is probably not paying taxes either. There is a reward system with the IRS where they pay YOU if you turn in a tax cheat.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Employer won't pay me

Forget about turning her in to the state or feds. Could come back on you. Snakes don't care who they bite

A hundred sixty bucks ain't enought to get me riled up but if I was really in a tight, it might!

They say you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but did you know that catching her gone and taking a squirt bottle and laying a nice bead on all her window ceils will catch a couple of million ants

It is also possible to multi-task. If you know someone at a kennel or that has a female dog in heat, a few small strips of cloth smeared with the scent and hung in bushes around the house will insure she has plenty of canine companionship

I only recommend this next one for ex-wives. Red fox urine is $7.00 a pint. Squirt that into the intake of the heat and air unit and in a decade or two I'm sure you can get the smell out of the house

Mitch