BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 AM

Default Pre 1983 Memorial Pennies

Since 1983 ,memorial pennies have been minted using mostly zinc and have almost no worth as to the metal they contain. I've been holding on to the pre 1983 memorial pennies just because they are made of 90% copper. They are worth more than just a penney for their copper value. Now it would take one heck of a lot of 90% copper pennies to be worth much, but if everything goes south, copper will be in greater demand. My thought is that if things do go south, pre 83 memorial pennies may have enough trading value for small items that they just may be worth hanging on to. If you check your change, you will find a lot of them still in out there. Your thoughts?

Best Regards, John K
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've been thinking along the same lines. I have 43 pounds of them, so far.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Pre 1983 Memorial Pennies

Actually it's pre 1982 pennies. They changed over in the middle of the year, so lots of 82's are zinc.

Pennies before 1982 are already worth about 3.5 cents in metal. Even the zinc ones are worth about 1.8 cents in metal! But don't forget nickels!!!! They are worth 8 cents in metal now.

The Fed has already passed a law that you can't scrap them to prevent people from going to the banks, buying all the pennies and nickels and driving to the scrap yard and trippling their money

This is really the only coin investment to make right now. I would much rather have $1400 in pennies and nickels than a $20 gold double eagle. Sooner or later the law will lift when the dollar is abandoned and that will pay off. If not you can always spend them or redeposit them. You just can't loose.

If you have a metal detector just set it to discriminate and tune out the zincs but ring on the coppers. Slide it under a piece of glass and as quickly as you can slide the pennies across the coil it will seperate them for you. No need to bother looking at the dates

Mitch