BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Default hey from TN smokey mountains

so glad to find this forum.
i have been an avid reader of Backwoods Home for years but never saw the forum until a few days ago, then I knew I had to join up.

We are late 50's reformed (more or less) hippies that have lived all over the eastern US and finally "bugged out" to a new homestead in the east TN mountains and hope to live a more self sufficient lifestyle.

We moved here last summer.

We have 70 acres of steep forest and about 8 acres of flat tillable land with a nice creek. Our water is gravity fed spring.

While we had a small garden last summer, most of the time was spent moving in and planting some fruit trees and bushes.

We have two rabbits which we haven't bred yet and 14 Buff Orpington chickens that are a delight.

Thinking about either hair sheep or goats.

Anyway, glad to be here and a special thanks to the Backwoods Home team for their magazine for all these years.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Default hello...

I'm also new to the forum, but a long time reader. so far everyone here has been super nice and help me learn how a forum works. hope you enjoy this place as much as I have so far.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 AM

I'm new too. Glad to have you Explo72.

I remember reading a story about a fella from PA that just took off into the woods with his wife and baby. They ended up living a self sustaining life somewhere in the South. Maybe it was you, LOL.

Neat sounding property you have there. The spring is a tremendous resource.

Do you have much mature timber?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 AM

Welcome gentlemen!

You will find a lot of very helpful folks here, and all sorts of great information. Enjoy and good luck with your new home.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 AM

thanks all for the warm welcome.

jd, yeah the spring is huge. When we were looking for properties we only considered places with either a private well or a spring - and ended up with a place that had both !!

sadly, very little mature timber, like most places around here it was logged too recently. Got lots of 12" diameter stuff, plenty for firewood and poles. Had the local forester out and he says not yet commercially ready, but that is no big deal cause there will be plenty for our needs just not a source of outside revenue.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 AM

12 inch trees are large enough to build with. I would try to manage for their growth and thin smaller stuff to build with. Also, you could probably raise trout in flow from the spring if interested. Sounds awesome.