BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Member Websites > Websites & Blogs

Websites & Blogs Informational, personal, and other non-business sites

Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default How hard is it?

I want to have my own website that I can post links, calendars, videos, photos.....and stuff like that.

Is this hard? Or am I better off to find a blog?
What is the best 'blog' site for the above mentioned??

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Inactive Member

It depends on many things.

1. It depends on your level of knowledge with computers and the internet.
2. Do you want a free site with templates or do you want your own site and your own unique domain name?

If you want your own domain name and website, you can do so for very little. I think my site runs about $127 per year now. If you have your own site, it can be designed as a blog, or CMS (Content Management). If you go the blog route, the most popular software is WordPress.

I started with my own site and used WordPress. However, I have since converted to a CMS for mine. I wouldn't recommend CMS unless you are fairly computer/internet savvy. It has a large learning curve.

The nice thing about having your own website whether it is a blog or other type is the control. With your own site, you have a lot more control and a lot more benefits.... or capabilities.

If you need more specifics, PM me and I will gladly share.

Paul
Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Inactive Member

By the way, it doesn't have to be hard. You can start with something simple with templates and change it as you learn and grow.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Laura... check out GoDaddy.com
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
It depends on many things.

1. It depends on your level of knowledge with computers and the internet.
My knowledge is minimal, but my daughter is a wizz.....so we could figure it out!!

2. Do you want a free site with templates or do you want your own site and your own unique domain name?

I would like to have my own name....like....www.laurassite.com

If you want your own domain name and website, you can do so for very little. I think my site runs about $127 per year now. If you have your own site, it can be designed as a blog, or CMS (Content Management). If you go the blog route, the most popular software is WordPress.

I was trying to do this on the 'cheap', and easy. Is wordpress pretty easy to use?

I started with my own site and used WordPress. However, I have since converted to a CMS for mine. I wouldn't recommend CMS unless you are fairly computer/internet savvy. It has a large learning curve.

The nice thing about having your own website whether it is a blog or other type is the control. With your own site, you have a lot more control and a lot more benefits.... or capabilities.

That's what I am looking for...a place that 'I have more control'. I want to be able to add photos, videos, links, and text.

If you need more specifics, PM me and I will gladly share.

Paul
I have a blog site at blogspot, but I am not fond of it at all.
Is Wordpress better than blogspot?

Thanks so much!!
Laura
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I have a blog site at blogspot, but I am not fond of it at all.
Is Wordpress better than blogspot?

Thanks so much!!
Laura
You will get answers from those that are fond of blogspot and those that like WordPress. Personally, the only way I would want either, is on my own domain website.

No matter which you choose, they all have learning curves and they all have pros and cons. It will be a matter of which you get accustomed to first... then once you have a bit of experience under your belt you can start to check other options.

One reason that I like having it on my own website and domain is so that I have complete control over the databases. I want to be able to work with them myself, correcting bugs, making backups, etc.

Paul

P.S. What's the link? I, for one, would like to read it.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM

I like hostmonster. I've been using them for a couple of years. The first year was less than 70 bucks including registering a domain and the domain name belongs to me not them. If you call support you get someone within a few minutes and can understand what they say. They have one click installation for things like wordpress.
I found wordpress a little tricky at first and I was fairly savvy. The big stumbling block for me was figuring out the difference between posts and pages. That and widgets, sidebars, users etc.
With most hosts you get all kinds of options for building a site. Everything from a few basic steps and templates to choose from to fully functional e-commerce sites and all at no extra charge.
There's two different ways you can go with wordpress. Free hosting is the other but your domain will be your_domain.wordpress.com kind of like blogspot.
For any kind of popular blog, cms etc, you can find tutorials on the web.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM

I've never used a blog, but have made a couple of web sites. My impression is that a blog is (supposed to be) especially good when the content is frequently updated (daily or weekly).

The way I did my web sites was to first look for simple ones that I liked, then I right-clicked and viewed source, saved the source file, look it over, edit the content often looking at other web sites to see how they accomplished something that I wanted to do.

It isn't too hard, but can be a bit time consuming when figuring out something new. Once you've learned the things you need, you copy and edit from your library of techniques.

My commercial web site server space costs me $80/yr. Domain name is a few dollars more.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I've never used a blog, but have made a couple of web sites. My impression is that a blog is (supposed to be) especially good when the content is frequently updated (daily or weekly).
That's basically what it's purpose is but that is the big difference between pages and posts. Posts automatically are chronologically ordered.
Pages are more static. Both can be put into categories. Pages can have an unlimited amount of sub-categories which essentially creates a menu. That menu can be in various places depending on the theme and choices in the backend which is where everything gets done. It could be across the top, in a sidebar or widget. (which is usually part of the sidebars)

So basically you can make a completely static site just like basic html by using pages only. It also makes the site more secure imho. The spambots are constsntly trying to infiltrate blogs to steal email addresses or place their email address in the comments. I don't allow comments unless someone registers and all registrations require me to OK them yet I've still had a few get in somehow. At that point I ban the IP which usually ends up being based in Russia or China.

I've also given a couple of CMS;s a try. Joomla and Drupal. Definitely a big learning curve. The more features you get the more complex the backend will be.